That time of Year Again- Hang Ups

gethuntin

Well its Mid January again and the coyotes are smarter and now breeding.They really haven't responded well to distress lately but I can get them to show themselves with coyote vocals but they hang up. One last night at 350 yards and the 5 before that one at 500+ yards. I have tried whimpers, pup distress, field mice and breeding sounds to try and get them to budge but they would hold there ground or skirt my setup. I do have a feeling its due to pressure as 4 were singles and there mate was already shot. But I also think it might have had to due to open country and they were scanning for coyotes and didn't see any. Last night I had 2 appear on separate ridge and had one came in running hard for about 200 yards responding to whimpers after opening with howls but once he got into the open and scanned quick he changed directions and went back up to the ridge. So I will try my Montana coyote decoy for the first time but is there any other sounds I might be forgetting or tactics to try?

Last edited:
I think this is one scenario that a decoy might increase the odds or at least keep them tied up til you shoot.
I have seen them during breeding season just standing dumb founded as they are being repeatedly shot at.

If you have one or a few coming to a certain hill or whatever the case may be repeatedly,go calling with a partner. One guy needs to call in the same spot you have been while the other sits way out front where the coyotes usually appear and hang up. Make them think you're somewhere you're not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OKRattlerIf you have one or a few coming to a certain hill or whatever the case may be repeatedly,go calling with a partner. One guy needs to call in the same spot you have been while the other sits way out front where the coyotes usually appear and hang up. Make them think you're somewhere you're not.
Good tip, I just assumed you tried a downwinder. A downwind shooter is a good tactic. Bad part is you usually don't get to see any action, just listen for the shot.

There is a few spots that could of worked if I had a second guy. This weekend I will and will try that as well. Last night I think instead of setting up across the ridge at 400 yards with a large meadow at the bottom i should have set up further up where it was only 200 yards across and not as big of a meadow.

Back