West Texas Trip

laughing out loud (i hate the lol thing)
actually texans want to live in west texas soooo bad that
ft worth even adopted the slogan years ago
"where the west begins"

rusty...not sure what your question is
by the way midland odessa was grandfathered in years ago
and if by mexican you are talking about the food
then yes...

guero

Other than the hunting, Mexican food is what I miss most. There's no doubt that I'll be retiring in Texas.

Here are a few other pics from that same hunt:

21_2_.JPG

Below is Keiths first Javalina taken with his 270:

21_44_.JPG

21_69_.JPG

We saw well over 400 hogs on that place. There is a serious hog problem in the Davis Mtns. We shot 15 hogs total. I shot all mine with my 204 and Keith shot one with his 270 and a few with his 204.

Below is an elk rub:

21_54_.JPG

We saw 3 cow elk.

BTW, I love my CZ 527 American.

Last edited:
Quote:
Great story and great pics. That was mighty nice of you to let your friend shoot that bobcat. Now you've got a reason to get back to Texas!

Yes it was, especially being that it was the first bobcat I've called in. Over 20 years of calling and that was the first cat I've called in (I shot a Mtn Lion many years ago but it wasn't called in). Keith on his third ever day of calling sees and shoots a cat. Amazing. I'll tell ya, though, it was just as rewarding seeing that thing come in from almost a mile away and watching Keith drop him at 100 yards (right underneath the foxpro). I have no regrets letting him take it. It was just as fun taking a first timer and teaching him "the ropes".

I try go take a trip to this ranch every year but it ends up being every 2 years or so. Keith and I had just returned from 8 months in Afghanistan and this was the perfect post deployment stress releiver.

Thanks for the comments, fellas.

Dave:

Thanks for sharing your story of the hunting trip! I am sure you have created another "dyed in the wool" predator hunter in Keith. Nice job!

Glad to see you take some time away from the flight line. Thanks for all you do for us!

Gordy

Great hunt, I call in the area some and have never had as much luck as you did. The hog problem is exploding in the Davis Mountains, when you said you saw 400 I was surprised didn't think it had gotten that bad. I guess it's time for me to get back on them.

Quote:
Great hunt, I call in the area some and have never had as much luck as you did. The hog problem is exploding in the Davis Mountains, when you said you saw 400 I was surprised didn't think it had gotten that bad. I guess it's time for me to get back on them.

The area south or east of Alpine should be some good calling.

Wow!

That's a great story and good photos. I really like your consistent format with the location, time, etc. The photos with Keith pointing with his finger at the creek and yucca tree were quite creative, I might have to try that myself in the future. You guys had super hunt. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Thanks also for your service!!

Jim

I just picked up my coyote that I had rugged out from my trip. Coyote #11 is the one I skinned (the one on the left in both the pictures)and was the female coyote of the pair I shot. There are a couple of reasons why I decided to finally have a coyote rugged out after hunting them nearly my whole life:
1. Keith talked me into it. His reason was that coyotes are my mantra and I have other animals in the house but no coyote. Fair enough.
2. This is the grayest coyote I have ever seen/shot. You can kinda tell from the pictures that she lacks a lot of red compared to the others. Her colors really stood out to me.
3. This is the longest shot I have made on a coyote. 250 yards on the run. If there is a way to post the video of it then I will.

The pictures really don't do it justice. The late winter coat on this thing is amazing. Very long hair with a thick undercoat.

Without further ado:

001160.JPG

003137.JPG

005107.JPG

004111.JPG

Are you hunting the Bruce ranch? He has a big place with elk and buffalo? I have ridden my harley all over that country but never hunted that far west.

Back