Favorite Ammo for Rapid Expansion, Little Ricochet Risk

DonJuan

I use a 308 for coyote, mostly because I am too cheap to buy another gun. What is your favorite round for fast expansion and not over penetrating? Was thinking amax, or Sierra match king?
Might pony up for another caliber in the future and I'm not worried about pelt damage

Sierra Matchking will pencil thorough a coyote, for the most part unless you hit bone. The 110gn Vmax, Nosler Ballistic Tip or Varmageddon are all excellent options for fast expansion and flat shooting.

Both the Amax and Match King are target bullets. SST's and Interbond/Interlock SP's are designed for hunting and will give you better terminal expansion. If you are worried about saving pelts then stay on the lighter side, maybe 125gr. I run 150gr Hornady whitetail and it drops them like a hammer, but it is not fur friendly. Leaves a gnarly exit, but leaves no doubt about expansion.

Originally Posted By: Al Hansen+2 V/Z Max's.

I would argue this. I've hit multiple 'chucks with the 110gr VMAX out of a 300WM doing about 3450 from 100-300yds. VERY disappointed. Expansion was minimal, most times the exit was only slightly larger than the entrance. No mist, no pieces. My 223 going 1000fps SLOWER did more damage on impact with SMKs.

Back