Sako L-461 ?'s Picture added Range day

It has arrived and I think I have hit the jackpost. It has a Leupold 2-7 Compact scope in Sako rings. The rifle appears to be unfired with there is no evidence on the boltface of the rifle being fired, all the bluing seems pristine as does the stock finish and checkering. I looked at a lot of Sako's in much worse condition for a lot more money, I truely thought this was going to be at least a refinished rifle. The only flaw is the recoil pad and I have to cut most stocks to shoot so this will be just replacing the thick pad with a 1/2" one bringing it to a perfect for me 12 1/2".

Weight 6 lb 12 oz with scope

Nice looking rifle.

I'm guessing that you know that the Sako Mannlincher full stock rifle has a two piece stock arrangement. The piece forward of the barrel band is a separate piece of wood. The barrel band secures the front piece and masks the separation between the two stock pieces. To take the rifle stock off the rifle, you need to remove the front sight hood and a dovetail insert. You need to be careful or you can damage the stock where the two pieces are joined with a metal connector.

I got the short pad on it and took it to the range, looks like I have a predator rifle.

First powder, one of my favorites and my goto bullet looks like a good combo.

It likes to shoot cold, first three shots in a cluster, forth one up, I moved to the 100 yard range while it was hot and it kept walking them up the paper. I let it cool and it was back on the money, a PD gun it won't be but preds are going to be fun.

Congratulations AWS, that’s a beautiful find. I always wanted a Sako in .222. I also have a L579 .243 forester with the Balvar2-8. Got it 30 years ago from my uncle who was in the navy. He bought a matching pair while stationed overseas, the other was a .308. The Balvar fogged up on me 20 years or so ago. Sent it back to BL and they fixed it for free. It’s a great scope, just hate that high cheek weld you have to have with it, but wanted to keep it original. Thankful to have a Uncle to have time to take a kid hunting!

Last edited:
Very Nice That is one awesome rifle I really like the stock.I Had a styre that had a the same style stock on it.Enjoy your new rifle its a dandy!
If you should happen to see something similar for sale send me a pm Ill be looking.
200 yrd group is impressive for a sporting rifle! Keep us posted with your range results.
Rick

i sold a beautiful 1962 L461 Vixen Varmint .222, it was in 90%+ condition, too [beeep] nice to take in the field. But it shot absolutely incredible with factory ammo, i do miss it, but refuse to have a safe queen.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanThe Sako L461 action and the 222 Remington are made for each other. I'm betting it's a good shooter.

Yep......best small caliber action ever made......ever...

Back