Pulsar not holding zero?

tking

I've not had this problem with mine yet, but my hunting buddy swears his XQ 50 Apex doesn't hold a zero. Anyone else had this issue or heard of anyone having it? It's on 223.

I was wondering when someone else on this forum would start the discussion. First let me say that I have some confidence Pulsar will take care of the minority of us having problems. There is a facebook Pulsar page where about 20 people have chimed in with their problems. I for one was having a huge issue with poi shift. Most say they have solved it with a new mount. Several are available. I have been waiting for one for 6 weeks now. Mine is the Trail xp50 which it appears has had the most issues. Some are also pretty irate over the promised sound app and updates that actually make things worse. But again if a company sells thousands of units there are going to be some issues that the company will get corrected if they want to stay in the business.

Last edited:
My Trail XP50 is going in when they get new ones in. Had to re-zero it about 4 times. Seems to be holding lately but it's going in. They told me to check my mount also but it is rock solid. I don't see how they think the new one is more solid as it looks to have only one quick disconnect while this original one mounts with two and covers a lot of the rail.

Last edited:
Sounds like perhaps new is not always better. I'm beginning to be glad that I held off on getting a 640 core XP50. My 18 month old Apex XD50A just holds as true as can be. I think I've adjusted it one click since I sighted it in new. I don't see how the original style mount cannot be holding true unless it wasn't installed with blue Loctite on the screws holding the mount to the scope.

I also have 2 trijicon mk2 units one has been rock solid but the other is giving me problems. Sometimes wish I had not sold my D760.

All I can say is we have two trail xp50's that I personally mounted. One of the mounts I had to mill on to get it to clamp tight on the rail. They have all held zero flawlessly mine has been through over a hundred stands. The mounts cannot be tightened up with the QD levers they must be tightened with an allen wrench from the right side. Mount are solid imo but must be tightened with an allen. DoubleUp I think you would really love the xp 50 with the big clear fov and that handy dandy battery pack. After 100 plus stands Im still giddy everytime I look through it lol.

Last edited:
I've been having issues with zero on my xq50 and called Sellmark. The gentleman at Sellmark reported they are investigating it and to check back with them periodically. He did say changes in temp have been affecting some of the units.
I adjusted for the change in temp theory by leaving the scope outside and did not bring it in the house and the scope was still 3-4 inches off when I rechecked zero.
At this point I've been told to wait and see as they investigate the issue.
I have a hard time spending $$$ like that (I know not a trijicon/IRD scope price) and having POI shifts. I don't care if it's 60 above or 20 below, that scope should hold zero.

One thing odd about my buddies vs. mine is that the display is a real bright blueish tint and mine is more of a soft white color. His doesn't have some of the reticles that mine does and doesn't have recoil operated video option either. I told him he needs to run an update which he claims he already did.

Here's my story Knight. Bought my first one thru Amazon and some jiggy outfit called Kenzies Optics out of Las Vegas NV. When I took delivery I could tell box had been opened and unit was charged up and somebody had played with it. Pissed me off but I did not send it back cause I figured it would be allright and they were hard to get back in April 2017. Well after a couple days I realized it was not holding zero and sent it back to Pulsar and within 7 days had a scope. Not sure if it was the same one or a new one, will check serial numbers next time. Well new one does the same thing. Zero will jump 5 - 10 inches between range days. I am currently waiting for the new mount just to be sure and they cant say get the new mount. Plus it is fabulous for scanning. I have learned patience in my old age but I promise I will get total satisfaction eventually, but I really feel the pain for the few guys that have only one unit. Pulsar has dropped the ball badly for a few of us, but I'm pretty sure we are a small minority. There is a facebook page called Pulsar and NV hunting and there is a huge discussion going on there. One of the gents on there lives in Austrailia and he is like me, has gotten a second unit that wont hold zero.

v223, thanks for the reply. I just haven't been able to convince myself that I want a black or white only reticle on black or white only display. I really have grown attached to that Sepia color display on the Apex XD50A model along with the 4 options of colored reticles.

Read a post on facebook today I feel is legit but you never know. He says he is on his third unit with the same issue. I'm still not worried. OK I'll shut up about it. IGOR

Well, I admit it somewhat scares me. I have been thinking of very little else these days but thermal. The thought of laying out a large sum of money only to have such problems is a concern. Surely Pulsar will be quick to take care of the problem.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpv223, thanks for the reply. I just haven't been able to convince myself that I want a black or white only reticle on black or white only display. I really have grown attached to that Sepia color display on the Apex XD50A model along with the 4 options of colored reticles.
Im addicted to black hot. On those nights when the thermal is good its like watching a black and white western lol.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: DoubleUpv223, thanks for the reply. I just haven't been able to convince myself that I want a black or white only reticle on black or white only display. I really have grown attached to that Sepia color display on the Apex XD50A model along with the 4 options of colored reticles.
Im addicted to black hot. On those nights when the thermal is good its like watching a black and white western lol.

I have colored backgrounds on the Helion and don't use them. I run white hot on the Helion and black hot on the Trail. Just personal preference. Colored reticles would be great but not an option due to the high-recoil requirement for the Pulsar Trail OLED screens resulting in a B/W only option. Not sure if it is the OLED screen on the Helion, but I can look through it all night and not get a headache even without using the colored backgrounds. The main benefits of the Trail are the recording features, rechargeable battery, etc.

As far as POI shift, I have called Pulsar to report some anomalies including the tests conducted and my results. My tests do point to a potential POI shift happening with temperature changes. I live in ND and our weather is about as drastic as any place. Even with a potential shift, it hasn't kept me from harvesting over 60 coyotes so far with the Trail in the last few months. I still need to do more testing. I absolutely love my Pulsar units and can only hope my feedback will help Pulsar isolate and fix any potential issue. If anyone wants to compare test results, PM me. If others are having issues, call Pulsar/Sellmark so they can get as much data as possible.

My POI shifts occurred this late summer to early fall. Temp. spreads where only at most in the 20 degree range. Going from 70 some degrees inside to maybe 90 outside at most. As I also said my mount was put on with tightening the opposite side with an allen wrench as it was apparent that the QD levers would not fasten it tight enough. Would take a hammer to get it off now. This is the third time I've also put this question out there. How is the new mount more solid? I can see it gives more adjustability but the one I have is the full length of the rail and tightens is 2 spots. The new one is much shorter and looks like only one QD lever.

Not a rumor but a growing discussion on facebook. Certainly an issue for me. I just wish I could get a new mount so next time I talk to Pulsar I can say I have definitely ruled out the mount. Im convinced my problem is internal as the rifles I use are all sub moa and my handloads are high quality.

Originally Posted By: case-nh How is the new mount more solid? I can see it gives more adjustability but the one I have is the full length of the rail and tightens is 2 spots. The new one is much shorter and looks like only one QD lever.
I can't answer this one unfortunately, as I run the Dloc (ZRO Delta) mount. Hopefully someone else can comment who has used both mounts.

Originally Posted By: igorI just wish I could get a new mount so next time I talk to Pulsar I can say I have definitely ruled out the mount. Im convinced my problem is internal as the rifles I use are all sub moa and my handloads are high quality.
The mount is always something to check but Pulsar NA Support said it wasn't happening on the Apex line which I believe uses the same mount. I am running the DLoc (ZroDelta). I just talked to Pulsar NA support and they are still testing. After writing this, I read on another forum the mount is different from the Apex to the Trail.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223One thing odd about my buddies vs. mine is that the display is a real bright blueish tint and mine is more of a soft white color. His doesn't have some of the reticles that mine does and doesn't have recoil operated video option either. I told him he needs to run an update which he claims he already did.
I would agree. Not having as many reticles and not having RAV should be because of a firmware difference. Have him open the Stream Vision app. Go under the My Devices area, and it will show his scope as long as he has connected to it before. The FW: version is what you want to compare to your scope.

Back