HMR downs 5 Foxes last evening - video

vicfox

This time of year here last years Redfox pups are making their way to independence and offer some terrific calling and shooting opportunities.
I have had good results with the 12g recently but wanted to get back to the challenge of the rifle and was rewarded very late afternoon yesterday.

First stand I had a Big Male get in to the Foxpro placed 40m out from me before I had seen it through long grass and it made its way behind me trying to depart. I had to stand up to get a running shot at him and connected at about 70 yards. The .17 rolled him with impact to the chest.

A couple of blank stands then a change of good fortune scoring a double on each of the next 2 stands. Another older male and a young vixen the a pair of first years on the last.

Heres a bit of footage.

The value of the extra range in the more open country proved its advantage. Don't think I have scored 5 out calling on my own before but did try for 6 but not takers.
5xGObnj.jpg
E9FoyHw.png

8YUNtnw.png

Last edited:

Nice going Dave. The HMR is really working well for you. As I recall, you and I began a long friendship over that subject. Looks like you have now answered the question.

My son uses the 17HMR when we go out and he loves it. Great gun flat shooter and drops them in their spot when placed correctly.

Back