Trail zeroing question for you guys

varminter .223

It seems both my hunting partners and my Trail xp50s have held poi well in probably close to 100 stands since Nov. 10th. They are pretty much always within an inch of were we have them sighted in. My only complaint is that the zeroing coordinated are a bit coarse. I always zero with the pip maxed out at 12.8x and 1 click moves me 2" ish. Im either 1" low or 1" high and never exactly center by the same amount. With these scopes being 3.1" above the bore dead on at 100 is the place to be to hold dead on to 225 yards. Im afraid 1" high at 100 is more like 1.8" high at 150ish. Just curious what everyone else in experiencing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223It seems both my hunting partners and my Trail xp50s have held poi well in probably close to 100 stands since Nov. 10th. They are pretty much always within an inch of were we have them sighted in. My only complaint is that the zeroing coordinated are a bit coarse. I always zero with the pip maxed out at 12.8x and 1 click moves me 2" ish. Im either 1" low or 1" high and never exactly center by the same amount. With these scopes being 3.1" above the bore dead on at 100 is the place to be to hold dead on to 225 yards. Im afraid 1" high at 100 is more like 1.8" high at 150ish. Just curious what everyone else in experiencing.
Experienced the same thing V223...in fact you responded when I posted similar question. You told me to sight in on max power and that helped some...it was moving almost 3" per "click" at 100...when I did it with max magnification I am now where you are at now...closer...1" to 1.5", but can't get it where it needs to be. Hope someone responds with a "fix" if there is one.

I'm digitally challenged being an old guy but the original post said he zeros with the pip in 12.8. I generally don't use pip when zeroing. At the top of the zeroing menu you get your elevation and windage coordinates and right below that there is the magnification menu and I get a choice of 1.6, 3.2,and 6.4. I use the 6.4 and it seems I get the minimum poi change with the 6.4 mag. and that is about 1/4 inch poi change. As mentioned before I'm digitally challenged and surely someone more qualified than I will post to help us.

Originally Posted By: igorI'm digitally challenged being an old guy but the original post said he zeros with the pip in 12.8. I generally don't use pip when zeroing. At the top of the zeroing menu you get your elevation and windage coordinates and right below that there is the magnification menu and I get a choice of 1.6, 3.2,and 6.4. I use the 6.4 and it seems I get the minimum poi change with the 6.4 mag. and that is about 1/4 inch poi change. As mentioned before I'm digitally challenged and surely someone more qualified than I will post to help us.
I don't think we are talking about POI changes...the real issue seems to be being able to get it exactly zero at 100yds or 1" high at 100yds or whatever...the x-y coordinates are too course to give you a more exact zero point. For instance, if I want it 1" high at 100yds I cannot get it 1" high at 100yds...one whole number on the elevation axis moves the poi 2". Say I've got it hitting dead center at 100...move it 1 number up and it goes 2" high...we need at least "half" numbers to get it more precise. Hopefully this makes sense.

I understand about course adjustment that's why I said go to the magnification menu under the windage / elevation menu. That's where I have been able to adjust the amount of poi jump when zeroing.

Originally Posted By: igor I understand about course adjustment that's why I said go to the magnification menu under the windage / elevation menu. That's where I have been able to adjust the amount of poi jump when zeroing.
Thanks igor...I got it now. Hopefully my replacement battery arrives tomorrow and I will try this out...I finally found it in the manual as well. Are you doing your zeroing at 100yds? That would be great to get 1/4" adjustment...can't wait to give it a try.
It does make me wonder though why they have the X/Y coordinates with whole and decimal digits but you only get whole numbers... 00.00 ...seems like it would make it easier to put in say your x at 11.25 and your y at 09.50 to fine tune it instead of only being able to use 11.00 and 9.00...why the decimal digits if they cannot be used?

You are gonna be pleased. When you use the 6.4 magnification you get .25 changes. And I didn't get that info out of their crappy manual. fFgured that out playin with it.
Yes, zeroing at 100 yards
Just wish mine would hold that zero. Mine jumps poi sometimes 6 inches between range days. Pretty sure mines not the mount but got a tournament coming in 2 weeks and need it to scan which it does beautifully.

Last edited:
Mounts and temperature changes is what I see may be the major problems with zeroing issues with Pulsar Trails. For the last 8 months I’ve been reading everything people have been posting. Any scope I’ve ever owned has never held zero for ever, we’re all hardcore hunters, but we’re gonna bump the scope alittle here and there. If it’s an internal code problem, then god help us all, lol. But for the most part I’ve heard a boat load of positives verse negatives on this model, the pip function, the 640 resolution, the price, and the new possible LRF makes Pulsar the choice I will choice for the 2018 season.

Originally Posted By: igorYou are gonna be pleased. When you use the 6.4 magnification you get .25 changes. And I didn't get that info out of their crappy manual. fFgured that out playin with it.
Yes, zeroing at 100 yards
Just wish mine would hold that zero. Mine jumps poi sometimes 6 inches between range days. Pretty sure mines not the mount but got a tournament coming in 2 weeks and need it to scan which it does beautifully.
The manual sucks for sure!
Mine seems to hold POI...I was just not happy about not getting it zeroed more precisely, so I am glad you chimed in here and will give it a go when the battery gets here. Thanks again

So you're saying if you go under that magnification menu and up it to 6.4 then the adjustments get finer. Are the coordinates still in whole numbers?

.223 the coordinates show decimals. Mine currently shows 02.25 for windage and 10.75 for elevation. I have not tried to zero it for a while so I don't remember how far .25 changes the poi but I'm pretty sure its around 1/4 inch which is adequate. Hope I'm being clear. Yes go to 6.4 in the menu. I just tried mine using 1.6 mag. and its back on changing from 02.25 to 01.25 with one click. Changed it back to 6.4 magnification and one click changes it to 01.50.

Last edited:
Brad I agree. Every time I turn mine on there is still a smile on my face. I'm not too worried about mine. they will fix me up eventually. As somebody else said electronics have bugs and by far the majority of the units hold zero.

Yes, make perfect sense. Not sure how I missed that in manual if its in there. I went to that menu a bit ago in my scope but didn't wanna go poking buttons until I have time to step outside and rezero it. Thanks man!!

Originally Posted By: igor.223 the coordinates show decimals. Mine currently shows 02.25 for windage and 10.75 for elevation. I have not tried to zero it for a while so I don't remember how far .25 changes the poi but I'm pretty sure its around 1/4 inch which is adequate. Hope I'm being clear. Yes go to 6.4 in the menu. I just tried mine using 1.6 mag. and its back on changing from 02.25 to 01.25 with one click. Changed it back to 6.4 magnification and one click changes it to 01.50.
That's good to know that the coordinates will go fractional and not stay whole numbers. That explains what the potential problem may be.
Varminter, let me know if you try it and it works...my battery won't be in until tomorrow.

Gene

I got the new battery charged up and then went into the zeroing menu and went where igor said and sure enough, when you move your X and Y coordinates it will go fractional in increments of .25 Thanks igor for the heads up on that. Hopefully tomorrow I can try it out on the rifle and see how close I can get it dialed in now. It is in the manual...page 18 Magnification...just an obscure couple of paragraphs that don't jump out at you.
Incidently, I am running the original factory mount and before I had battery trouble I was testing it for POI issues...I completely unbolted the scope from the base, re-bolted it to the base, then re-attached the scope/base on the rifle, fired one shot and it was exactly where it was originally. I repeated the whole process again and this time shot it with PIP and it hit exactly where the previous shot did...and that was before V223 told about tightening the allen bolts...I was just locking it into place with the QD levers. So for now I don't think I have an issue with POI shifts. At that time the only complaint I had was the zeroing coordinates not giving me fine enough adjustments...so thanks again igor...appreciate it.
V223, my stalker tripod and pig saddle came today also...very nice set up. My handguard measured across the flats is 1.485" and the pig saddle clamped it tight and I still felt like I had more room to tighten it and it not bottom out...it may work on your Matrix guard.

I adjusted my coordinates tonight as well. Worked like a charm! I gave it .5 right and .5 down. I will shoot it in the morning to verrify its on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223I adjusted my coordinates tonight as well. Worked like a charm! I gave it .5 right and .5 down. I will shoot it in the morning to verrify its on.

Let me know what happens.

Gene

I am going to attempt to zero my Trail XP 38 this weekend for the first time.
I also am waiting for the second batch of the new smaller mounts as the mount that came with mine had a defective pin to do with the quick release. I do believe I have the original mounted firmly enough to try it as is.

Any suggestions or info to help me through this process would be appreciated.

It is mounted on a POF AR in .223

Thanks

Back