Garmin Hunt View or ONX gps chip?

1trkyhntr

I want a program for my GPS that will show land boundaries and landowner names. I am looking at the Garmin Hunt View chip but I can't really find any real user reviews on it. Anyone here have it or know how it compares to the ONX maps chip?
Again, my purpose for this upgrade is that I want to see land boundaries and landowner names displayed. I do know that the ONX app does that very well on a smart phone, but I do not have, nor do I want a smart phone. So my only option is a chip for my GPS.
Thanks

When I faced the same decision recently, I went ONX, and I'm glad I did. Kirsch would be good (cheaper too) if they have the states you are interested in. At first, like you, I was really interested in landowner names. Not so much anymore. All I really want to know now, is public or private (land). For one, land sells all the time so the info is not always current. Secondly, the owner may not live at or anywhere near the address or the land. Third, you can do the same thing with a plat book, and it has a chance of being more current depending on the frequency of issuance. So now I'm more interested in public or private, no matter who owns it, as I know the the info from any chip maker is only is as good as the info in the plat books, as is likely outdated by the time you see it.

I'm the same, I just need private and public and carry a small computer in the truck to access the county assessor land ownership maps and info. Like mentioned above land ownership changes often even public to private. If my gps says its public and there are no trespassing signs I just check with the county to see who's paying the taxes. Many states lease out stateland to farmers or whom ever. Be sure and check that whether your state includes the hunting rights with the lease. As far as I know BLM leases do not include hunting rights, BLR can so you have to check on those leases at the BLR office.

I'm in Virginia, there is no public land anywhere near me, it's all private.
I do know that ownership can change but that is not an everyday occurrence around here.
My buddy has the ONX app for his phone and we have really used it a lot and it is very helpful and so far has been %100 accurate.
I was just wondering if the Garmin program was as good as ONX, it is cheaper.

Kirsch's maps are not available for Va.

I would just buy the onx chip for your gps and be done with it. That's all I use here in the west where cell phone service is not always available.

The only problem with the ONX chip is that, unlike their phone app, the chip does not show satellite imagery, just topo.

Get the Onx system, it works great, can be updated from home computer every couple of years if you are interested in actual ownership. P.S. the $100 chip is cheaper than a trespass ticket!
smile.gif

If I only wanted to know landowner names, of people in my area, I'd just use Google Earth/Maps, a current plat book, and knock on doors.

Back