Started slow...finished strong. More cats than coyotes!

Switch

Headed out with a couple of friends to take advantage of a dark moon phase and do a little predator hunting. The plan was to call a little during the day, grab dinner and then hunt the night shift.

On the second day stand, we had a cautious coyote come in to 220-yards, but didn't seem too interested. My buddy, Jose dropped him there with a nice shot from his CZ .204

Some of the terrain

Jose's longshot coyote

After dinner we headed out and started shining the light. On the first stand we had two bobcat come in but they never presented a shot.Towards the end, a coyote came in hot and stopped broadside at 120-yards. Jose dropped him there for our first night animal.

Since Jose had two animals, we switched up positions and I got on the rifle while he shined the light.

A few stands later we quietly got out and got set up. Before I started calling, Jose spotted eye shine up on a hill. We worked what we were sure was a bobcat for ten minutes and it wouldn't budge. Jose did a quick scan and spotted a bobcat standing on a boulder 150-yards behind us. I moved over, got the animal in the scope and dropped the cat with the .204.

The Dan Thompson strikes again

When I got back to the truck, Jose stated that he wanted to take a flashlight and walk down the cat on the hill. He and his buddy, Duey headed out to cut the distance. After a lengthy hike, I heard one shot and didn't see the eye shine anymore. Sure enough, they were able to add the disinterested bobcat to the back of the truck.

After a few empty stands, we were winding up the evening with the last stand. I was on the rifle and the call. After a few minutes, Jose spotted a set of bouncing eyes way out at about 500-yards. The animal was moving in fast. Whenever he hesitated, a few squeaks on the PC-2 call and he'd keep coming. At 60-yards he stopped broadside looking our way. I dropped him there with the AR.

Three cats for the evening.

keeping them cool until we could skin them out.

My two cats

Group shot

After the skinning

Skulls for the bugs

1689.gif

This post is nominated for Hunter of the Month. Sorry, the nifty little .gif isn't rotating, so all you see is "Nominated" for now.

Originally Posted By: Delta DogSwitch,

What round were you using on those cats? A 204? I ask sue to what appears to be some great hides with no damage. Thanks

I usually run 39 grain Blitz king out of my 204. My buddy runs 45 grain. What you don't see in the photo is the wounds. Both cats shot with the 204 had some pretty substantial wounds. I still love the round.

Originally Posted By: LONEHOWLThis is one of the best posts in a long time here..hand calls, coyotes, cats, skinnin'. Awsome!
Mark

Agreed!

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762those skulls are pretty wild looking. nice

I'll process those for the beetle colony and send Jose's bobcat skull to him as a trophy.

Originally Posted By: SircatsalottHey guys. what are you shooting those bobcats with? 204 and 223? what bullet? what velocity? does it damage the pelt?

The .204 was running 40 gr Hornady. I was shooting 55 gr. ballistic tips out of the .223. A little pelt damage with both. Distances for the .204 were 150-yards and 180-yards. Distance for the .223 was 60-yards. The largest pelt hole was with the 150-yard .204 cat.

Back