Powders for cold weather hunting

cjclemens

Last week, I was doing some target practice in cold weather. I was having some trouble with one of my handloads (45 grain SP over IMR 4198) failing to cycle an AR. Other loads I shot that day cycled just fine, so I jumped to the conclusion that it was the powder.

So, my question is this - What powders for .223 are available that are less sensitive to extreme cold temps?

Hodgdon's Extreme line of powders have been great for me. IMR has their own line of more temperature stable powders but I'm not sure what powders of theirs are in that line.

If you're shooting 45gr bullets I would try some H322 or Benchmark, both Hodgdons extreme powders.

Try H4895, it is an extreme powder, fast and accurate in a 223.

Varget is a lil more temperature stable but won't produce the speed of H4895.

Originally Posted By: BleedsBlueTry H4895, it is an extreme powder, fast and accurate in a 223.

I do use IMR 4895 for heavier .223 loads. Is that pretty similar to the H4895? All of the reloading manuals I have list slightly different loads for each and I've always wondered why.

Imr4895 is an excellent powder, I believe that it has a faster burn rate than H4895 but it isn't an "enduron" which is imr's version of "extreme".
yet 8208xbr isn't an enduron but is very temperature stable.

You may have to contact hodgdon to find out about the temp stability of imr4895

I think your biggest problem with the 4198 was that it's on the fast side for 223, which means the pressure at the gas port is a little low, especially if you're ar is rifle length gas. I've had problems with it running an ar before also.

The suggestions above are good, with 8208 being a favorite of mine the last couple years.

Originally Posted By: cjclemensLast week, I was doing some target practice in cold weather. I was having some trouble with one of my handloads (45 grain SP over IMR 4198) failing to cycle an AR. Other loads I shot that day cycled just fine, so I jumped to the conclusion that it was the powder.

So, my question is this - What powders for .223 are available that are less sensitive to extreme cold temps?

If your using IMR-4198 and like it,,,,,,, two options to solve temp sensitivaty and make metering powder simple and better.

First is switching to H-4198. Temp stable and meters well,,,,, second would be Accurate LT-30. Is temp stable, meters well and is a replacement powder for 4198.

Originally Posted By: cjclemensOriginally Posted By: BleedsBlueTry H4895, it is an extreme powder, fast and accurate in a 223.

I do use IMR 4895 for heavier .223 loads. Is that pretty similar to the H4895? All of the reloading manuals I have list slightly different loads for each and I've always wondered why.

H4895 & IMR 4895 are two different powders, and must be loaded by their respective manual listings. H4895 is in Hodgdon's Extreme line - considered more temp stable than others. There are several powders in that line. Hodgdon also owns IMR powders, and Winchester powders, but the similar numerical listings of various powders between the lines, do NOT mean they can be assumed to be exactly the same and loaded the same. IMR's newer Enduron line (as mentioned above) is Hodgdon's attempt at bring more temp stable powders into the IMR line also. Get on Hodgdon's site, look up extreme powders and read thru it. Does sound like your IMR 4198 may be a bit on the fast side, and coupled with the colder temps, may be on the edge of producing the pressures you need for your set-up to cycle reliably?

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-education/tips-and-tricks/extreme-powders

The above link is a general schpeel on the line, but since they re-did the website, I can't find their listing of which powders they consider in their extreme line of powders......Benchmark, H322, XBR8208, H4895, H4350, H1000 for sure.....I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

Quote:H4895 & IMR 4895 are two different powders, and must be loaded by their respective manual listings.

I figured there was some kind of difference, otherwise Hodgdon would have likely discontinued one of the numbers. I didn't mean to suggest they were interchangeable, either. I was just wondering how similar they were - i.e. would you get similar velocities when loading with the same weight bullet, etc.

Quote:Does sound like your IMR 4198 may be a bit on the fast side, and coupled with the colder temps, may be on the edge of producing the pressures you need for your set-up to cycle reliably?

From the replies I've gotten here and from what I've read in the meantime, it sounds like this is exactly what's going on. It makes total sense - this particular load was originally worked up for a bolt-action rifle. I tried it in an AR earlier this summer, and it worked really well at the time. I think I may just see about re-working it with some H4198, rather than the IMR. It looks to me like the IMR powders are still using the original formulations, while the Hodgdon versions with the same number are using a newer, less temp sensitive formulation - as well as smaller particles for better metering.

FWIW- I have been running a relatively mild charge of H4198 pushing light bullets in all kinds of weather from 108 degrees down to -5 degrees and it has always cycled my 18" stag. Have shot lots of pounds of powder with this load with 2 different barrels and never had a problem I thought could be powder related.

Originally Posted By: obaroFWIW- I have been running a relatively mild charge of H4198 pushing light bullets in all kinds of weather from 108 degrees down to -5 degrees and it has always cycled my 18" stag. Have shot lots of pounds of powder with this load with 2 different barrels and never had a problem I thought could be powder related.

Who knows - some excess frozen lubricant could have added to the problem as well. The rifle I was shooting has a 16" barrel with mid-length gas. Not sure if that would make a difference, but I never did try it with a different configuration.

Quote:Have you tried H322?

Not yet, but I can definitely put it on my list of powders to try. I plan on making some test loads based on some of the suggestions made here.

Back