21” does the trick!

Forest Ghost

Took a couple samples of ammo to the range to test my new barrel and holy moly is 21” for 223 a good length. Factory 26” bull cut and crowned to 21”. Savage long action with a PTG 223 bolt head. Wood stock pillar and glass bedded. I think I need a longer extractor or something because all the rounds either pull out and don’t eject or they make it a couple inches out. The accuracy though!

Black hills 60g vmax would all land in the same hole at 100 yards, just incredible
Everything else was under an inch except cheapo 100 for $30 Walmart federal which was 1.5”

Also I’ll now never buy a box of Hornady superformance 53g again. With my CZ I had a couple duds and only so so accuracy. Now with this savage I had a dud and I put 3 rounds in .75” and the 4th had a much louder crack and recoil and landed 1.5” higher then the group. Only rounds to FTF in close to 500-600 rounds of cheap and high grade has been this crap. Even IMI 5.56 hasn’t failed in the CZ. Cancelled my back order for 6 more boxes at midwayUSA for $16 a box. It’s unreliable junk.

That’s too bad about the Hornady Superformance ammo. Did you contact Hornady and alert them of the problem? I don’t know what they would say but it can’t hurt.

I agree on the Hornady SP 53 gr Vmax. I’ve been having some duds myself. I hate it too, because they really shoot well in my T/C Venture Predator and my AR. Also I just got in my Leupold CDS dial for the ammo. I’ll finish this month out with the ones I have left and then I’ll be looking for something else. One was on the last bobcat I shot. Thankfully it was about 200 yards from me and the wind was howling. It’s hard to rack the bolt on an AR and not get busted. I had the rifle on my sticks, kitty in the scope, and right hand on the grip. I used my left hand to pull the bolt back fast enough for the shell to eject and as soon as that kitty looked up to see what the heck that noise was the next Vmax pierced its throat.

In the fall of 2016 just before hunting season, a father and his daughter were sitting next to me at a range. They were sighting in a new 243 Winchester Remington 700 SPS for the daughter to use for deer hunting.

Between the two, they fired off a 20 round box of Rem Core-Lokts to get the rifle sighted in close and they then moved to a box of Hornady SuperFormancea ammo to finalize everything as that was what she was going to hunt with.

She fired off the first round and all seemed fine. The second round sounded different and it locked the bolt up completely. I have no idea how it all came out other than that they both left the range pretty frustrated.

Back