22 Creedmoor

I have one in hand and one getting built now... Very impressive cartridge with the heavy bullets... My first one is a heavy rifle specifically for shooting prairie dogs... My current build is a much lighter carry rifle...

I have 4 22Creeds. Good stuff.
smile.gif

It is my chosen and recommended big 22. Anxiously awaiting the alpha brass.

I'm hoping they get their brass in soon, mainly cuz I'm considering a 6mm Creedmoor also. I don't have a chrono yet but it's on the procurement list.

With a 22 Creed having nearly identical case capacity as the 22-243, do you think the 22 Creed offers anything over a 22-243??

I'm hankering for another fast twist 22 cal hot rod and I like the idea of being able to get 22 Creed brass ready to go from Alpha but beyond that, I'm not sure the 22 Creed does anything better than one of the 22-243 variants, especially the "improved" versions of the 22-243

Originally Posted By: B23With a 22 Creed having nearly identical case capacity as the 22-243, do you think the 22 Creed offers anything over a 22-243??

I'm hankering for another fast twist 22 cal hot rod and I like the idea of being able to get 22 Creed brass ready to go from Alpha but beyond that, I'm not sure the 22 Creed does anything better than one of the 22-243 variants, especially the "improved" versions of the 22-243

I've had several 22-243win... the only difference I see so far is that the Creedmoor is more efficient... I'm getting like velocity with less powder...

I purchased a Whidden 22 Creedmoor die set and it's no problem converting 6mm CM to 22 CM. One step and done. Yes I would like 22 CM brass cuz I would like a 6mm CM to add and I could then resize my brass back to 6mm. Also I contacted Peterson Brass if they could produce the 22 and 6mm as they already make 6.5 Creedmoor brass.

Originally Posted By: zheltonHas anyone tried the alpha munitions 22 creed brass? Its expensive at 99.00/100 but maybe an option?

They're out of stock at the moment but will be available soon... they released a small batch a month ago or so... I'll have some as soon as it's available... it's really no more expensive then Lapua brass... every bit as good or better...

They have 6mm Creed, no 22 Creed. Last date I got from them was end of February. I managed to get a hold of 20pc of the 22 Creed run...and it is nice.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadThey have 6mm Creed, no 22 Creed. Last date I got from them was end of February. I managed to get a hold of 20pc of the 22 Creed run...and it is nice.

Copper Creek is also an Alpha brass dealer and they are out of stock as well...

Originally Posted By: CinchHuckleberry and Orkan have quite a bit of knowledge and experience with this cartridge...

Not sure if I have quite a bit, but I have enough to know that it is bar-none, my favorite cartridge to shoot besides a good old .22lr. It has very mild recoil and is absolutely devastating on the business end of it. I am not caught up on getting every last round out of the barrel, so if I can get 1000-1500rds, I will be plenty happy. With the 80gn class of bullets, my loads carry 1000#kE at 500yds when starting at 3393fps from a 22" 8 twist. The Lapua small primer brass is exceptional on handling pressure, and allows you to lean on it even harder than the Hornady brass if you so choose. JCH and I both run one with the 80.5gn Berger Fullbore with 42.2gns of H4350. He hit a whitetail with it this year and it left a baseball size hole going into the rib cage and jelloed the thoracic cavity. Lilysdad runs the 69gn TMK in his, if I recall correctly, with excellent results as well.

Cinch, Jason said you were running it with great results as well.

In short, build one and don't look back.

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75Originally Posted By: CinchHuckleberry and Orkan have quite a bit of knowledge and experience with this cartridge...

Not sure if I have quite a bit, but I have enough to know that it is bar-none, my favorite cartridge to shoot besides a good old .22lr. It has very mild recoil and is absolutely devastating on the business end of it. I am not caught up on getting every last round out of the barrel, so if I can get 1000-1500rds, I will be plenty happy. With the 80gn class of bullets, my loads carry 1000#kE at 500yds when starting at 3393fps from a 22" 8 twist. The Lapua small primer brass is exceptional on handling pressure, and allows you to lean on it even harder than the Hornady brass if you so choose. JCH and I both run one with the 80.5gn Berger Fullbore with 42.2gns of H4350. He hit a whitetail with it this year and it left a baseball size hole going into the rib cage and jelloed the thoracic cavity. Lilysdad runs the 69gn TMK in his, if I recall correctly, with excellent results as well.

I'm running the 75gr Amax in my heavy 26" at 3425 with 40.5gr Hybrid 100V in Hornady brass... that same load in Alpha brass will get you around 3525...

Originally Posted By: CinchOriginally Posted By: Huckleberry75Originally Posted By: CinchHuckleberry and Orkan have quite a bit of knowledge and experience with this cartridge...

I'm running the 75gr Amax in my heavy 26" at 3425 with 40.5gr Hybrid 100V in Hornady brass... that same load in Alpha brass will get you around 3525...

JCH also said that the Alpha brass had smaller capacity. Our standard load of 42.2gns of H4350 in the Alpha brass was causing heavy swipes. Bolt lift and pressure signs. I woukd recommend to anyone going from Hornady or Lapua brass to the Alpha offering to drop down and work back up, because your load might have excessive pressure if not.

Originally Posted By: Cinch

Are you running the 75gr Amax very close to touching or are you running them off the lands a bit? I've mostly only shot 75gr VLD's and they like to be real close to the lands but I'd like to play around with some 75gr Amax and was curious where these are shooting best for you.

Back