223 Ruger Precision rifle 1/7 twist bullet weight ?

rudymontana

I received this rifle for Christmas. Has anyone shot 52 grain bullets and lower in this rifle? How about other rifles with a 1/7 twist rate? I'm trying to use same bullets that I have for my other 223's.

ackleyman--1/9 twist. I shoot a Speer 52 gr. HPFB for coyotes. P.D. I shoot anything from 40 grainers to 53 V-Max. I'm not a longggg range shooter, furthest distant around 400 yards. Rudy

I have powder that normally does very well with 223 case and mentioned weight bullets. With the faster twist on this new rifle I was wondering if anyone else had experience with the mentioned bullet weights. Never tried Benchmark but I have compared it with the powders I use currently and it looks very good also.

Thanks Rudy

I have a 1:7 twist rate AR and haven't been able to find an acceptable load for 52 or 53 grain Berger bullets and I've pushed them pretty hard. The only load I found that grouped consistently between 1.25 and 1.75 inches was with VV135 and a 52 grain Berger bullet - I consider those sized groups to be acceptable but not to my satisfaction when shooting from a bench with a BR scope.

I have found a good load using 55 grain Hornady with a max load of CFE223 - loads under max on the Hodgdon website shot fairly large groups.

My particular 1:7 rifle prefers 77 grain bullets and a moderate load of Vihtavuori N135 Powder, although most powders with the 77 grain bullet perform fairly well. The N135 load is a consistent performer between 0.5 and 0.75 inches for 5 shot groups rested and scoped and that size group is more to my liking - so when I shoot offhand with a 2moa aimpoint micro red dot and see baseball sized groups or larger, I know exactly what's the cause.
frown.gif

Back