6.5 Creedmoor vs 25-06 for Deer

Dirt Nap

I’m looking to build a custom deer/antelope hunting rifle. I can’t decide which caliber I want to go with and I’m looking for suggestions. I will be reloading for ammo. I want a lightweight rifle so I’m trying to keep the barrel length in check. Thanks for the help

I have had a couple of 25-06 rifles. The 25-06 shoots flatter, but with range finders that's not so much of an issue today. Personally, I would go with the 6.5 Creed or 7mm-08. Shorter action, and a huge selection of bullets.

You didn't say if you already had an action in hand. If not, I'd go 6.5 CM. Better BCs on bullets and a short action which should help with your weight reqs.

Originally Posted By: HuntYou didn't say if you already had an action in hand. If not, I'd go 6.5 CM. Better BCs on bullets and a short action which should help with your weight reqs.

No action on hand. It will be a new build with a new action

Originally Posted By: Dirt NapOriginally Posted By: HuntYou didn't say if you already had an action in hand. If not, I'd go 6.5 CM. Better BCs on bullets and a short action which should help with your weight reqs.

No action on hand. It will be a new build with a new action

Personaly, I own and shoot both. I will never let go of my quarter bore its a laser.

For deer, antelope and all predators, the 6.5 Creedmoor is the ticket. Actually the 6mm Creedmoor may be right up your alley. If elk are not on the menue then I would go straight to the 6mm Creed.

Originally Posted By: ksduckhntrMy vote is 25-06. Crazy fat shooting and good hunting bullet selection. For a hunting rig why does the LA vs SA matter?

In most situations the La-Sa is a non issue. I have a Winchester 70 rebarreled to 6mm Rem, I work the dog towns with it and call with it on occasion, no problem.

The 25-06 vs 6.5 Creedmoor is this for me. 140gr bullet at 2900fps. That is something the 25-06 can never do because there are no 140gr quarter bore bullets. But the 6.5 does go down past 120gr bullets, that's where the 25 ends. And I will promise you that the Creedmoor will send those 120's as fast or faster than the '06 and with less powder. The case is that efficient. Like I said,,,, I still like my quarter bore but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

25-06 is just a neat caliber, 6.5 Creedmoor is very impressive, but something about that little quarter bore hits all the right boxes for me...as stated above, laser beam....Will never forget 1st deer i shot with mine

I have a 6.5-284 . awesome. a 6.5-06 would be equal. to save time you could get a sendero in .264 wm. my brother shot a coues at 627 with his.

A 25-06 with a 100 grain all copper bullet traveling at 3100-3350 fps is hard to beat for a long range deer/antelope rifle.

Then again if you go with a barrel shorter than 24" the 25-06 is going to lose some of its advantage.

I generally prefer the short actions, but have both. Since I have a .260 and a cm, my other guns don't get to go out very often. The cm will shine the farther you shoot, but it is a wash out to 300. It is hard to beat a light-recoiling rifle that throws 140-grain bullets at reasonable velocity and light bullets at high speed. My 6.5s do an amazing job on deer, but lots of calibers do, so take your pick.

Depends on how heavy of a bullet you wanna shoot. Both will send 100 grain bullets out about the same speed. But the 25-06 has a better BC with a 100 gain bullet. Not you go up to 120 its still close, but a 140 in the 6.5 is mo betta.

If you wear your cowboy boots then either a 257 Weatherby with 115 grain bullet sighted in at about 250 to 300 yards or a 270 WSM if you really want to step up in bullet weight and BC.

Or, 6.5 "greatest thing since sliced bread" Creedmoor if you wear your tactical gear. LOL

I swear to God I am going to melt down all my rifles into 6.5 CMs and buy a driverless car!

Back