Ravine double

Snowshoes

This morning it was off to a ravine I like to hunt a couple times a year. On the drive in, I see numerous deer in the fields and kick one coyote from the tall grass’s in the hills. Park the truck behind a dirt pile, then hike south to the ravine. Plenty of whitetail deer in the ravine also, never counted them but I would think around 30. Set up in front of a tall weed patch that was situated about 1/3rd way from the top. Started off with some open reed distress & then waited 5 minutes, a little more distress followed by a short burst of coyote yelps from a RR cow horn howler. It took roughly 3 minutes for my guest to arrive. One was light colored and the other was fairly dark. They were following the edge of the creek channel below and to the east of me. I dare not move till they both are out of sight and when they go behind a knoll, I slightly rotate both rifle and myself to where I expect to see them next. Well coyotes do what coyotes do and sometimes things don’t go as planned. Eyes focused for coyotes cresting the knoll is interrupted when I see the light colored one coming straight up the ravine to the east of me. Swing the rifle further around and with a vocal bark, stop the coyote. A 94 yard shot with the 223 puts the coyote down.
Chamber another 52 gr. Bullet and look for the other coyote. I see it trotting away and I give my best impression of my vocal coyote yelps. Not only does it stop, it turns around and starts to trot back. It covers around 40 feet before it stops to look for its partner, I take the opportunity to send another 52 gr. Berger on its way. I hear a “whoomp” and the coyote goes into a wild spin which sends it sliding down the bank and out of sight. Sat for a bit before walking over to the first coyote. Took a picture of the female coyote and then ventured down to find the other one.

No problem finding the blood slide mark which continued down the bank and right into the creek channel. Worked my way down to the channel & then tossed the coyote up on the bank. This male, was not a good coyote.

Zig zag my way up the bank to where the coyote had been hit &ranged the shot at 137 yards.

Thank you all for the comments
thumbup1.gif

Back