How many times does it take

kswaterfowl

It seems like at least once every year I get lazy and dont carry my shotgun with me on a stand. And at least once every year it bites me in the butt. Well guess what happened this morning?

I went out mid morning to do a stand, in what I thought was a pretty open pasture. I thought to myself, I won't need a shotgun. I was wrong. Had a double about run me over, literally about five feet. They were in and out in a matter of seconds, and was left sitting there cussing myself.

I wouldn't consider myself a veteran coyote caller, but I have been calling for 10+ years. And you would think I would have learned my lesson by now. So my tip to guys just getting started. Don't get lazy, bring your shotgun.

Originally Posted By: kswaterfowlIt seems like at least once every year I get lazy and dont carry my shotgun with me on a stand. And at least once every year it bites me in the butt. Well guess what happened this morning?

I went out mid morning to do a stand, in what I thought was a pretty open pasture. I thought to myself, I won't need a shotgun. I was wrong. Had a double about run me over, literally about five feet. They were in and out in a matter of seconds, and was left sitting there cussing myself.

I wouldn't consider myself a veteran coyote caller, but I have been calling for 10+ years. And you would think I would have learned my lesson by now. So my tip to guys just getting started. Don't get lazy, bring your shotgun.

the older i get the harder it has become to hit a close up running coyote (or a far one for that matter) with a rifle. seemed like i was constantly having coyotes run in and run out before i could get it together and get them killed.

several years ago i decided a shotgun would kill me more coyotes than my rifle was. i modified the way i set up my stands and where i put the caller and things been working out very good. been using a shotgun 99.5 percent of the time for 5 or 6 years now. do not see that changing.

Quote:the older i get the harder it has become to hit a close up running coyote (or a far one for that matter) with a rifle. seemed like i was constantly having coyotes run in and run out before i could get it together and get them killed.

Ever thought of setting up a trip wire, Slick?
wink.gif
cool.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Quote:the older i get the harder it has become to hit a close up running coyote (or a far one for that matter) with a rifle. seemed like i was constantly having coyotes run in and run out before i could get it together and get them killed.

Ever thought of setting up a trip wire, Slick?
wink.gif
cool.gif

Regards,
hm

yeah. but the shotgun idea seemed easier and it worked.

Originally Posted By: kswaterfowlI gotta be honest. I've never been good at running shots.

in my younger days i considered myself pretty good at running shots. but i did a lot more hunting of all kinds back then. shooting running jacks with a 22 rimfire was great practice. heck, almost never see jacks or cottontails now days. drought, disease, just a cycle, other? do not know. just know they arent many now days. the coyote numbers are not like they once were either. but i know what caused that.

From my experience the odds of having a coyote or multiple coyotes run right up to you increase by about 10 times if you don't take a shotgun with you!

If you want to see coyotes standing around and walking slowly between 80 to 120 yards away, then just take a shotgun with you.

I tried packing a rifle and Shotgun, what a pain. I have two solutions, number one is a 1-4 or 1.5x6 60-100ft fov will put the WHOLE coyote and some acreage in your scope at 10 yards. My closest shot on a coyote running in 2017 has been 6 ft and a number of them under 20 yards. On 4x or 6x 300 yards is a chip shot.

Second is a combo gun again 1-4 scope, instant selection of rifle or shotgun, just move your trigger finger.

Last edited:
One time for me and I said the heck with that. I’ll never lug two guns in the field again. I’m switching my strategy anyway, and am going to be hunting woods with a shotgun from now on. These yotes around here don’t show face hardly ever in the open, day or night. I’m actually getting excited thinking about trying this new way of hunting these critters out.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobFrom my experience the odds of having a coyote or multiple coyotes run right up to you increase by about 10 times if you don't take a shotgun with you!

If you want to see coyotes standing around and walking slowly between 80 to 120 yards away, then just take a shotgun with you.

Isn't that the truth.

I’m on board with carrying both. My question is, how do you place them both whe you sit? I typically keep my rifle in my lap with the barrel on the sticks pointing towards where I expect the critter to show and the stock in my lap near my shoulder. Would I want to have the shotty in a more ready to go position and the rifle to the side? Seems like it would be a lot of moving to get to the rifle. Looking for tips. Thanks

I keep having to re-learn this lesson and it drives me crazy !

The other day my son and I were out calling, we setup in some real flat and wide open country. There was hardly a blade of grass to hide behind. I always carry both shotgun and my 204 and this time was no different.

I laid the shotgun on the ground next to me thinking there was no way I wouldn't be using the rifle on this stand. Ya right, well about 6 minutes in I catch a glimpse of an inbound missle coming in from my starboard side (also upwind) and doing about mach 4.

I knew I had no time to switch it up, so I tried and failed miserably to take him out with the rifle. If only I would have had CIWS (Sea Whiz) locked and loaded I may have stood a chance.

Back