Pulsar XD50a Need advice

Chris1017

I have one of these units that is roughly 1 year old. Killed several critters; reds, coyotes, coons,etc, BUT I miss a lot of coyotes.
I can watch squirrels playing at 300 yards, and cows at a mile or more, but I seem to have trouble hitting a coyote at 250-400 yards with this optic because the image quality just isn’t there at that distance.

I can sometimes close the distance on a new moon night to take the shot, but really my question for you fine night hunters is this: Would I be better able to hit coyotes out to 400 yards with a higher resolution thermal, or am I just asking too much, and need to man-up and stalk more.

Thanks,
Chris

Not trying to insult you, but why do you feel the need to shoot them at those distances? Why not just call them in closer and then shoot them? I have an XD50A and have made some long shots, but it isn't something I plan to do on a regular basis.

What type weapon are you using to try to make these long range night kills? That certainly figures into the equation as well, but I've always felt that a 200 yd. shot at night is equivalent to a 400 yd. shot in the daytime. You're asking a lot of a thermal scope and rifle to consistently make those 400 yd. night shots.

What he said. I don't have experience shooting with thermal but have used lights and now NV. Until I started hunting predators my rifle experience was limited, our big game seasons in NY were shotgun only until recent changes in the last few years. 200 yards to me is a long poke at night but during the day it seems relatively easy. I consider my self an average shot at best. I try to keep shots inside 200 yards which is pretty easy to do with the limitations of lights and digital NV.

Easiest way to stop missing coyotes at 400 yards is stop shooting coyotes at 400 yards.

Why are you stalking, I prefer to call them and can you ID a coyote at 400 yards?

Don’t feel bad about having trouble hitting them at 250-400 yds everyone does. That’s about twice the distance I try to keep my shots under. Best of luck to you but if you call them in closer than it solves a lot of your problems.

We have killed them out a little past 300 but even with my trail xp50 shooting coyotes at night is a sub 200-yard game if you want consistent kills. We kill all over ours right at 120 yards.

Thanks for your responses, guys. DoubleUp, you HAVE made some darn fine shots at distance with yours!

My thermal (which is really a 0-250 yard device) is currently on a 204 Ruger. The load I use shoots fairly flat (4.25 MOA at 400 yards). I take this out and hunt with it regularly. When I’m calling, most of my shots are inside 100 yards.

My question was more about shooting coyotes from my house when I see them. Not from within my house, but when I step outside to scan in the middle of the night. This is not hunting, but depredation. I can call foxes, and they’ll come right up to my yard. These coyotes won’t.

Let me restate my question differently. What type of equipment (thermal or NV) would allow me the clarity to ID and dispatch coyotes out to 400 yards.

Understood! You'll have to get someone with more green than I can afford to tell you that. Maybe SkyPup or Vic can tell you if there is even any such thing and what the cost would be. I'm thinking upwards of 10 grand if it exists.

You will probably get a lot more bang for your buck with nv rather than thermal. I use a armasight Vulcan in 4.5x and don’t have a problem seeing and identify the coyotes at those ranges and have killed some 300+ but the coyote looks awful small. May check into a 6x gen 3 scope with a good ir light. I use htrn infinity ir light. Another option could be a bait pile to shoot those coyotes off of

Last edited:
Maybe some of the ir hunters? I think the ir hunter mark iii 60 has a 4.5 native mag and you have the extra digital zoom if needed. Pretty sure that would suffice for what your wanting but it is more money than your current thermal... just my opinion

Originally Posted By: Chris1017

My question was more about shooting coyotes from my house when I see them. Not from within my house, but when I step outside to scan in the middle of the night. This is not hunting, but depredation. I can call foxes, and they’ll come right up to my yard. These coyotes won’t.

Let me restate my question differently. What type of equipment (thermal or NV) would allow me the clarity to ID and dispatch coyotes out to 400 yards.

Ever thought of baiting?

Absolutely, but I’ve always heard that it wasn’t legal in Virginia. If someone knows otherwise, please let me know. When I researched it on VDGIF’s website, it appears to be illegal.

Originally Posted By: Chris1017Thanks for your responses, guys. DoubleUp, you HAVE made some darn fine shots at distance with yours!

My thermal (which is really a 0-250 yard device) is currently on a 204 Ruger. The load I use shoots fairly flat (4.25 MOA at 400 yards). I take this out and hunt with it regularly. When I’m calling, most of my shots are inside 100 yards.

Gen.3 night vision & a good IR. 400Yards at night is not an easy shot I recommend a lot of practice & a heavier bullet.

Originally Posted By: Chris1017Absolutely, but I’ve always heard that it wasn’t legal in Virginia. If someone knows otherwise, please let me know. When I researched it on VDGIF’s website, it appears to be illegal.

Yes it is legal to hunt coyotes over bait in Virginia.
Coyotes are classified as nuisance animals in Va.

Code of Va 29.1-521(4). It is unlawful:
4. To knowingly occupy any baited blind or other baited place for the purpose of taking or attempting to take any wild bird or wild animal or to put out bait or salt for any wild bird or wild animal for the purpose of taking or killing it. There shall be a rebuttable presumption that a person charged with violating this subdivision knows that he is occupying a baited blind or other baited place for the purpose of taking or attempting to take any wild bird or wild animal. However, this shall not apply to baiting nuisance species of animals and birds, or to baiting traps for the purpose of taking fur-bearing animals that may be lawfully trapped.

Originally Posted By: Chris1017Absolutely, but I’ve always heard that it wasn’t legal in Virginia. If someone knows otherwise, please let me know. When I researched it on VDGIF’s website, it appears to be illegal.

As trkyhntr mentioned, you won't find it in the game department regulations. Go to the Code of Virginia (you can see it online) and you will find it. The baiting restriction does not apply to nuisance species (of which the coyote is one).

I knew one of our VA guys would chime in, I'm beginning to see laws from more and more states that are as confusing as NY.

That’s great! I looked back at all the Virginia game law legal-speak that had me concerned, and it does state “game animals”. Not “any animals” or “and nuisance species “. So it looks like I’ve got a little work to do to set up what I suspect David has been doing for some time.

Chris, the baiting thread in the predator hunting forum is a good place for learning, and a good bunch of guys.

Chris, no he didn't send it to me. I haven't talked to Corey for a while. I understandthat he has moved. When you talk to him again tell him to phone me. I may not have his current phone number.

Back