Where to go to view the ultimate walking coyote sniping rifle?

Originally Posted By: Tim Neitzke243kimber,
I'm sorry you don't live closer to me. I would let you handle some of my rifles to see what you might like. That is how I learned as well as a few other guys on here.

“Will you walk into my parlour?” said the Spider to the Fly,
'Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.”

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Buster HindendIf I’ve said I once I’ve said it 16 times; I don’t know “Beans” about rifles

Brad , I never knew you a bean counter.
grin.gif

My only suggestion would be to discard the idea of carrying a light rifle. I know ... I know ... it goes against everything that folks claim when mentioning their DREAM RIFLE! I’ve learned over the years though, for me at least, that heavier rifles and longer barrels almost always translate into ACCURACY. I’m talking night & day difference too. It’s worth it to me to have to tote a little heavier rifle. I know it’s not what you wanted to hear ... lol.

Originally Posted By: Ricky BobbyMy only suggestion would be to discard the idea of carrying a light rifle. I know ... I know ... it goes against everything that folks claim when mentioning their DREAM RIFLE! I’ve learned over the years though, for me at least, that heavier rifles and longer barrels almost always translate into ACCURACY. I’m talking night & day difference too. It’s worth it to me to have to tote a little heavier rifle. I know it’s not what you wanted to hear ... lol.

To each their own, but many will disagree. Especially when you are only taking cold bore shots. Accuracy seems to slip a bit when some barrels heat up, and that will ‘almost’ never happen when shooting yotes. Prairie dogs yes, but yotes and fox no.

Originally Posted By: Ricky BobbyMy only suggestion would be to discard the idea of carrying a light rifle. I know ... I know ... it goes against everything that folks claim when mentioning their DREAM RIFLE! I’ve learned over the years though, for me at least, that heavier rifles and longer barrels almost always translate into ACCURACY. I’m talking night & day difference too. It’s worth it to me to have to tote a little heavier rifle. I know it’s not what you wanted to hear ... lol.

What do you think of as a light rifle, 7#, 8# ?

Weight is the 400 pound gorilla in the room. (Pun Intended). From my researching before posting this thread, it seems that after some people kept adding bells and whistles to their rig, what was at first a walking rifle turned into uncase, walk a few steps, and then set it on a bench rifle.
smile.gif

After shooting my buddies Browning X-bolty in 7 rem mag, and shooting my best 3 shot group ever at 500 yards, and having a pencil thin barrel, I think having a thin barrel will not hinder my performance.
I was just looking at a post where someone had a new Manners folding stock for sale that weighed 5 pounds. Im not opposed to carrying a heaver rig, just as long as I can get the job done. As my current set ups stands, Im carrying a backpack with all my gear Im guessing is around 20 pounds. I carry that weight around all day with my tool belt and harness rig at work all day, climbing on scaffolding like Im a Sherpa, so walking for a half mile and then sitting is no big deal. Im just trying not to make any unforeseen mistakes with my rifle build. And you are communicating with a person that gladly paid $250 for a hammer. A frigging Hammer! Sounds completely crazy, until you carry one all day, day after day. It's made out of titanium.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeJP, is that a "sucks" action on that GAP rifle ?

Yep, it’s a sucky old 700.
grin.gif

I think it’s the slickest action I’ve ever owned.
George and the boys did some kinda magic on it.

I have a SS SA Sucks that is sooooo smooth, I swear it was spit shined. Probably the smoothest action I've ever fondled. Way nicer than my Stiller even.

Thin barrels and light weight rifles aren't inherently inaccurate. The accuracy nodes are narrower due to the less rigid barrel, but there are still nodes and they can still be found.

The real issue with light weight rifles is people's lack of understanding of natural point of aim and being unable to drive the rifle through the recoil impulse. This is why most folks with light rifles can often demonstrate great precision, but can't demonstrate great accuracy. Every time they get behind the rifle the tight group lands somewhere else. One time its a half inch left. The next its an inch right. The time after that its and inch high.

It takes remarkably little recoil to reliably generate this effect on an 8lb or less rifle in the hands of someone that doesn't understand the finer points of developing a firing position and staying in it. This is why heavier rifles have found favor. If you're a fan of precision and accuracy, they are mechanically setup better to achieve it and are also significantly easier to handle for the operator.

I have a question for you fellas applauding the remington action smoothness: Have you ever ran a BAT nitrided action? How about a Lone Peak Fuzion?

Just come to my house in Ohio; its rem Model 7 w/ a 22/250 Douglas barrel in featherweight contour (should of been a #2 or #3 in all fairness...)- 1x12 twist. But, you can walk all day with it and it is super accurate at long ranges and short w/ the compact Leupold 3x9 scope.

Originally Posted By: orkan
I have a question for you fellas applauding the remington action smoothness: Have you ever ran a BAT nitrided action? How about a Lone Peak Fuzion?

No, I haven’t.
I’ve never even seen either of them.
A Surgeon, a few Bighorns, a few Stillers, and a Defiance are all I’ve actually shot.
The Defiance was at the bottom of the list.

Last edited:
Never shot one of their bolt guns, but if I wanted a long range gun that was not heavy I would seriously be looking at a Christensen Arms Ridgeline. If the accuracy in the ridgeline carbon fiber barrel is similar to the 18” carbon fiber on my AR you will not go wrong.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: orkan

No, I haven’t.
A Surgeon, a few Bighorns, a few Stillers, and a Defiance are all I’ve actually shot.

Me either.
If I had handled better than I stated, well it would have been better.
wink.gif

Most custom actions are out of my reach in more ways than one.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: orkan

No, I haven’t.

Defiance at the bottom of the list you say
crazy.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Buster HindendOriginally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: orkan

No, I haven’t.

Defiance at the bottom of the list you say
crazy.gif

Rough as a sackful of gravels!

I hold the same opinion of defiance. The 5-6 of them I had were quite bad in comparison to many other actions.

It's unfortunate that fiscal demands keep folks from experiencing the truly wonderful hardware available today. Lone Peak Fuzion actions are without equal. When I let people shoot mine, a sharp impact with a stick is typically the only way I can get their fingers off it.

Originally Posted By: orkanI hold the same opinion of defiance. The 5-6 of them I had were quite bad in comparison to many other actions.

It's unfortunate that fiscal demands keep folks from experiencing the truly wonderful hardware available today. Lone Peak Fuzion actions are without equal. When I let people shoot mine, a sharp impact with a stick is typically the only way I can get their fingers off it.

I agree the Fuzion does not have an equal as the TL3 is just slightly better
smile.gif
. They are both fine pieces of equipment though.

Back