Most accurate entry level rifle

Forest Ghost

Well I know this will depend on the shooter but let’s stay under $450 and no real mods, in varmint calibers 22-250, 223, 204 etc. I’ll start

Savage axis- $280- 3/4”-1” groups with only the trigger spring clipped back. Never any performance fails. It eventually was heavily customized haha

What’s the most accurate you had/have? Just to use as a reference for guys just getting in to it or needing a beater.

Savage Axis II in 22-250. It's capable of putting 2 out of 3 in the same hole with the 3rd being not far from it at 100 yards. As far as what groups measure,I don't know. I've never measured a group in my life. To be honest I ain't shot very much paper in my life. If it ain't wearing fur, I don't like shootin holes in it unless I have to.

Many will send me to the gallows for saying this, but I love my Mossberg MVP Predator in .223. I’m shooting the 55 grain Fiocchi ammo and it just loves it. Groups are consistently 3/4” or less.

Edit: it’s a tad bit more than $450.

Last edited:
The winner of this should be the Stevens even if they are ugly.
A number of different makes have come along since. Machining capability has made even the cheapest rifles shoot.

You didn't say what year it had to cost $450 in.
25 years ago I had ruger M77 Mark II in 220 swift 52 gr sierra 3/4 moa 1/2 moa after I bedded it.
Shot the barrel out and traded in on a new Remington 700 in 220 swift.
I had a youth model remington 700 in 243 for my kids 10 years ago that would consistently put 3 into one ragged hole at 100 yards with 70 gr sierras. Kind of hard on hides.
Would shoot about 3/4 moa with 100 gr sierras. Only rifle I have ever owned that I didn't bed the action on, didn't seem like it needed it.
Not a big fan of the 243 so I sold that rifle and got them a 7-08.
Much better caliber for big game.

Can’t remember what it cost at the time think I got it in 07 maybe 06 but savage Stevens 200 in 243. Bone stalk but what a shooter that thing is. Been kicking the idea of re stocking and a trigger. It was the truck gun until replaced with a howa 1500.

My buddy just bought a Mossberg predator .556 with scope on sale for under 500.00. I do not know what model, but he said he was at the store, it was on sale, he loved the feel/look and he purchased it. He just called me last night and we discussed it. I look forward to seeing it. He is an avid bench shooter and hunter, he does not buy/own inferior guns.

Just bought my dad a Ruger Predator in .223, he shot it yesterday and had 3 shots in a ragged hole at 100 yards with 55 grain vmax handloads. Also had a 1/2" group with 69 grain Sierras. It was on sale at Cabela's for $399 right before Christmas. So far seems like a shooter.

I also have a Savage Axis in .243, it shoots very well, I have several sub-MOA loads for it. I paid about $199 for it, but had to put a better trigger in (Rifle Basix).

Actually, I have a Rossi single shot in .223 that I love. Very finicky though with loads, I probably wouldn't recommend it unless you are a handloader. Very light and easy to carry though.

Last edited:
I have seen high dollar rifles that didn't shoot well and I have seen entry level rifles shoot incredibly well. I have had Savages that shot quite well, even an NEF handi-rifle that shot well. You really can't discount those platforms. But an AR with a good barrel doesn't have to break the bank, and it doesn't have to have that many bells and whistles. My first flat top that I used had a 16in, .223 E.R. Shaw barrel on it. I have shot a lot of coyotes with it over the years. It was my go to for a long long time. It was the one that really got me into hunting with an AR.

If you're looking for accuracy now you will likely keep looking for more of it once you start shooting your new rifle. I would stick with something that has a lot of aftermarket support.

I would stick with Savage, I'm not familiar with the Axis 2 or if they have as many aftermarket parts as a savage 10/11/12. So that's what I would go with, I would buy a Savage 10 or 12 even if it's a few dollars more because the barrel/trigger/stock upgrades are endless. I've seen a few used $300 savages get a new barrel and stock and become a serious Fclass competitor.

Regarless of which factory rifle you choose, you always have the chance of getting a dud. This here internet has ceated some outstanding rifles. Partly in tall tails, and mainly by instant backlash for each and every screw up that gets out. We can tell all of of PM, and facebook, twitter, etc in less than 10 minutes. The onea that dont come right get made right pretty quick or they get another round of bad press. In the end you still annie up and take the cards that you get.

Savage Mod 12 FV in just about any caliber you want. Only sold at Cabelas these days. Their standard price is $419.00. Veterans ( or retired LE) can get another 5% off. They go on sale all the time. For the money you can't go wrong.

T/C venture predator I got for $300. I shot a few groups below .5 moa with 53 gr vmax and benchmark. It was great except for the magazine. It was flimsy and only held 3 rds.

+1 on the T/C Venture and 53 grain Vmax. This combination works great.

5a5ab3c7b91fa.jpg

A model 788 in 6mm. I paid 100 dollars for it. It shoots way better than I do. Of course that was in 1975.But it still shoots as accurately now as then, as far as me, well I have my days..

Ruger American Predator 6mm Creedmoor. Awesome, 25-06 Ditto.
Cheap plastic Stock, Aggravating Trigger, But Shoots Very Very Tiny Groups.
Tiny Groups Trumps it's short falls.

two of my cheap throw around rifles i currently have now are shooters. one is a remington 783 in 22-250 with factory hornady 55gr vmax ammo i was getting under 3/4" groups at 100 yards. and the second i know is a little bit larger caliber but my savage model 12 fv in 6.5 creedmoor is shooting 1/4" groups with the factory winchester 140 grain bthp match ammo. the 783 is over looked but i honestly love it for a truck gun!

Back