Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#3004720 - 11/02/16 09:04 PM Re: Longest Distance to kill a deer [Re: ejipner]
GC Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By: ejipner
Originally Posted By: GC
Originally Posted By: GC
There was no way I was going to attempt an 85 yd shot with a bow, I doubt I would try a 60. I have a Martin lithium bow, I have been practicing out to about 45. I'm new to,bow hunting though and I feel much more comfortable with a gun.

Do you mind if I ask how old you are?

Why do you ask how old I am?

Well... What you say in the quote above is an immature or completely ignorant statement. When you say you doubt you would try a 60 yard shot, that leaves that as a "don't think I would - but maybe I would." Yet, you've only practiced to "about 45." If you haven't been practicing at 60 then without a doubt you should not be considering that as even a remote option. Do you even have a 60 yard pin sighted in? Doesn't sound like it. Guesstimating or winging it on the fly doesn't cut it. Nothing in that original post makes sense for a responsible disciplined bowhunter that has taken the necessary time to understand the sport. Thus my question about your age.

How come every time I have something to say on here your all over me? Did I do something to offend you? I don't mind if you share your opinion but you can back off, I am sick of you constantly making little comments over anything I say on here.

I do have a pin out to about 60, though I don't practice that far. I'm not going to "guesstimate or wing it" as you stated. I don't appreciate you questioning my ethics. If you have a problem you can feel free to pm me and we can further discuss this.

Every time? You have 38 post and I've only commented on ONE other post. That was the one where you spoke about using a .45-70 on deer, though you had never actually used a .45-70 on a deer. Your assumption was wrong and you had no personal or learned experience to base that on. That was a respectful exchange, at least one other poster was considerably more blunt than I was.

I doubt many bowhunters think its a good idea to consider a shot on live game animals at 60 yards when you only practice to "about 45 yards." I actually thought you might be a kid that just lacked experience or had not developed good judgement and decision making skills yet. In that case a kid gets a little coaching by the experienced guys around here and hopefully he is smart enough to figure it out. Guess I was wrong about the kid part. I do not have a problem with you personally. Though I have to admit that in general whining does kinda irk me sometimes.

#3004974 - 11/03/16 03:23 PM Re: Longest Distance to kill a deer [Re: ejipner]
DesertRam Offline

Loc: Las Cruces, NM USA
My longest was a perfect double lung on a cow elk at 55 yards. I've shot several other animals in the 40-50 yard range out here.

When I was getting tuned up for an ibex hunt in southern NM, where long shots are probable, I routinely practiced and had pins sighted in for up to 80 yards. I was confident at that range and, had a shot presented with appropriate conditions, would have sent an arrow on its way. I was only able to close to about 140 during the hunt, so no shot.

Normally I would consider about 50 yards to be my max. Beyond that requires a level of commitment to practice that I can no longer make.

#3005325 - 11/04/16 10:15 PM Re: Longest Distance to kill a deer [Re: ejipner]
Bowhunt Online
Die Hard Member

Loc: Illinois
I can place arrows in the kill zone of a 3D deer target at 100 yards. However.....Foam 3D targets don't move. I love my shots 30 yards or less but would be comfortable shooting out to 50 yards under perfect conditions.

#3005326 - 11/04/16 10:22 PM Re: Longest Distance to kill a deer [Re: ejipner]
yotehunter243 Online
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Indiana
Spot Hogg Boss Hogg is my sigut of choice

#3005341 - 11/05/16 12:04 AM Re: Longest Distance to kill a deer [Re: ejipner]
Arizona Wildcat Offline

Loc: Tucson Arizona
I have harvested a deer at 80 yds, but the deer gave me 3 shots, was able to zero in. I practice at 100 yds, 90 yds and 80 yds but that's it.. I wont shoot anything over 60 yds. I feel when you practice that far you better have good form, these long distance shots will magnify your imperfections in form.. It also improves your short range shots they become slam dunks...

#3005548 - 11/05/16 09:28 PM Re: Longest Distance to kill a deer [Re: ejipner]
springer Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Indiana
With minimal practice, I'm good to 40 yds. When I practice a lot I go out to my 60 yd pin, but would only take a first shot to 50 yds. With that practice I can put each arrow in the kill zone from every position at 50.

Wind plays [beeep] with arrows. It's all about the close game with archery. I've had big animals walk on me because they were 60-70 yds away and had no regrets.

#3007936 - 11/13/16 02:45 PM Re: Longest Distance to kill a deer [Re: ejipner]
doa Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: kansas
I see shots being taken routinely on the outdoor channels out to ridiculous distances. Mostly by shooters (so called professionals) that have no business shooting fifty yards let alone 70,80 or 90!
I believe they're teaching our young hunters that it's ok to take hail marry shots that are marginal at best.

Most of us took up the archery challenge to fool the animals on their terms, ie. up close and personal. I can, and do shoot in excess of a hundred yards when practicing. Mostly because I love to watch the arrow fly, and the amazement of how accurate they can be at those ranges. But if my woodsmanship skills are not able to get the animal inside of fifty yards (hopefully much closer) then he gets a free pass for that day.

#3011825 - 11/26/16 03:53 PM Re: Longest Distance to kill a deer [Re: ejipner]
Mark204 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Midwest
This post is a little old, but the first time I've seen it.........My longest is 35yds and I only felt comfortable doing it because it was in a field. I practice out to 50yds, but would never consider a shot at that distance. I hunt in southeastern Missouri and I usually go out of my way to hunt the thicker parts of the property. My idea of bow hunting is....how close can I get them to come without them knowing anything is wrong. Far shots really don't interest me and I'm not faulting those of you that take them, provided you know where every little noodle size branch is from point A to B. I took a 12 pointer at 14yds Nov. 4th, I would have let him got closer, but he getting ready to step out of the shooting lane.

Here Kitty Kitty

#3032501 - 01/14/17 10:51 PM Re: Longest Distance to kill a deer [Re: ejipner]
Born2hunt96 Offline
Predator Master

Loc: North Western Kansas
I shoot targets regularly out to 100 and can Consistently "kill" a target deer from that far but targets dont move lol a lot can happen in 100 yards of travel time! If I felt confident in the shot I'd shoot a deer from 60..

Remington 700 .22-250

Pelt Totals 2017/2018
Coyote: 13
Coon: 10
Badger: 1
Deer: 5
Fox: 1

#3037853 - 01/26/17 02:37 AM Re: Longest Distance to kill a deer [Re: ejipner]
Rock Knocker Online
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Buffalo, MN
I have taken whitetails at 52 and 60 yards, I practice at 80 a lot.

My Hoyt Alphaburner with Gold Tip Velocity arrows is a real monster. I can hold an 7"-8" group at 80 almost all day and easily hold a 6" group at 60. My first pin hits 2" high at 20 yards and 2" low 40, then I have a 50, 60, 70 and 80 yard pin. I've only had one deer duck under an arrow but it was at 50 yards but I was still-hunting and she had me pegged before I released, I swear she saw my trigger finger twitch and that was all it took.

Like Arizona Wildcat said above, practice at long range really improves closer range shooting.

#3092291 - 09/20/17 07:35 PM Re: Longest Distance to kill a deer [Re: Bowhunt]
pyscodog Online
PM Junkie

Loc: okla
Originally Posted By: Bowhunt
I can place arrows in the kill zone of a 3D deer target at 100 yards. However.....Foam 3D targets don't move. I love my shots 30 yards or less but would be comfortable shooting out to 50 yards under perfect conditions.

Probably the truest statement in the whole post. Practicing at long range isn't a bad thing...it makes the close shots easy but like said, a lot can happen from the time an arrow leaves the bow and reach's a target 100yds away. It can go from a perfect heart shot to a gut shot in one step of the animal (deer). I've been shooting a bow for a long time and seen so many bad hits on deer from hunters thinking they could make the shot, it make me sick. Bow hunting is not a long range sport. Its up close and personal. Just my opinion, if it over 50 yards, let it walk. Hunt it another day.

#3102921 - 11/10/17 10:45 AM Re: Longest Distance to kill a deer [Re: ejipner]
Dennyr Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: South Texas
Not to offend anyone but for myself I consider 20 yards a long shot. I'm sure it can and has be done at longer range. I do practice and have shot 3D shoots at longer ranges but think that I became a better hunter when I put limits on myself. Sometime you don't really need to punch a tag to have a good hunt.

#3104294 - 11/15/17 05:34 PM Re: Longest Distance to kill a deer [Re: Dennyr]
Born2hunt96 Offline
Predator Master

Loc: North Western Kansas
In some places im sure 20 yards could be considered a long shot.. from my experience out here in western kansas since i moved out here 4 years ago thats just not very far at all. Limiting myself to 20 yards spot and stalking with my bow in my area would be like limiting myself to 80 yards with my .300WM.. But like i said, its probably a regional and personal preference thing.

Remington 700 .22-250

Pelt Totals 2017/2018
Coyote: 13
Coon: 10
Badger: 1
Deer: 5
Fox: 1

#3121573 - 01/10/18 10:27 PM Re: Longest Distance to kill a deer [Re: ejipner]
6724 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: colorado
My longest is 64 yards on a cow elk, and 71 yards on a mule deer.

That was quite a few years ago. I don't do that anymore.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
55820 Members
88 Forums
333460 Topics
3138658 Posts

Max Online: 4372 @ 01/25/15 10:27 PM
Today's Birthdays
BiggMayn, brdeano, Courtgus, Foxman14, huntyotes, JW Stevens, lewis, NEYOTEMAN, rainshadow1, Rossier450r, simon_445, slack
© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.