25x45 worth it?

docjon2013

I love the quarter bores and I love idea of only changing the barrel for this round. I mostly hunt coyotes and deer. I don’t know what to do?

I've got one. It beats the 6X45 for heaviest weight bullets but looses out severely on light bullet choices. I own five maybe six 6X45's. I own one 25X45. Any guess which I shoot more?

Greg

I was thinking about 80-90 grains for deer and 70s for coyotes. I like the 6 cause of the bullet selection. I seldom shoot past 200yds for deer and usually the coyotes are called to under 200 before shooting preferably less than 100. It will not be a long range gun, maybe 400 yds for plinking. I have other guns that are cheaper to shoot at long distance. I mostly hunt with handguns and 200yds seems way out there for me.

Originally Posted By: docjon2013I was thinking about 80-90 grains for deer and 70s for coyotes. I like the 6 cause of the bullet selection. I seldom shoot past 200yds for deer and usually the coyotes are called to under 200 before shooting preferably less than 100. It will not be a long range gun, maybe 400 yds for plinking. I have other guns that are cheaper to shoot at long distance. I mostly hunt with handguns and 200yds seems way out there for me.

That's about right. The 250 Savage killed a lot of game and so will the Sharps used sanely. I shot some 117 round nose that would work well but some Accubonds would probably be a better choice.

Greg

I will probably just get an 6.5 Grendel in an 18 or 20 barrel and just call it good. It’s a better round anyways. Don’t shoot colony varmints and no competition so a 24” is out of the question. All my calling is done from a sitting position no prone setups and deer is out of a ladder stand. 18” should be plenty

I've got both the 25x45 and the Grendel, like them both. Taken quite a few whitetails with the sharps, works great. That being said the Grendel does fine also.

I had a 25 DTI. Great cartridge when used within reason. Can't imagine why a 25X45 would be any different other than less smack down.

25x45 is a great cartridge. Super easy to reload and there is factory ammo out there for it. I am a quarter bore guy, I have 2- 25DTI's and 2- 25x45. The 25x45 gets close to the same ballistics as the DTI and uses less powder.
I use 70-75gr for yotes in both and not but maybe 150 fps difference.

Thanks navigator. I sold my 25 DTI because it was just a heavy son of a gun. Been thinking about a light weight 25X45. Glad to hear the 25X45 can scoot right along.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Anyone using the 25x45 for hogs?

Haven't had a shot on one yet but would not hesitate for a minute.

Back