Asking permission to hunt

mantorvilleyote

When asking permission to gain access to private land, does anybody have business cards printed off to give to the land owner with name, number, email, etc. on it in case the land owner needs to get in touch with you for some reason?

Originally Posted By: mantorvilleyoteWhen asking permission to gain access to private land, does anybody have business cards printed off to give to the land owner with name, number, email, etc. on it in case the land owner needs to get in touch with you for some reason?

Waste of time and money!

I’ve considered it. Out here I’ve got so many people giving me permission and quite a few stop me in town to ask for my number again. But I did give out a couple notes on bright yellow paper this year, both farmers lost em and ended up telling me to just stop in before I go or drive my truck so they know it’s me out there. If I was doing it more for damage control I’d make a card just to seem more professional hahaha

I did it when I trapped, and got lots of positive responses from it. It certainly wouldn't hurt, most of us ranchers have calving season coming up and looking for a coyote reduction

Yes we do it has our ALS #, too.
On the back , we have a place where the land owner can sign that we have permission and any restrictions.

Sometimes people ask me to hunt their place especially when the coyotes have gotten a pet. Rarely have I been turned down.

I was just if anyone had them in the case that someone else already had permission but you would leave your info with the land owner in case they had a change of mind, need for extra action, etc. Having that info on a card could swing the impression of the land owner in your favor in the future.

Someday I’ll get organized and keep a log of kills and info and at the front will be land owners info, date given permission, and a signature.

Also I just made some flyers saying I was looking to help manage predators, feed store put it up immediately. Good time to be offering the service as this is coming up on the most crucial time to reduce predator numbers before calves and fawns

Last edited:
I typed a short letter to land owners that I slip into their mailbox. Basically it explains I'm an amateur predator hunter looking for permission to hunt their property. I tell them I'm a responsible adult who hunts alone and often hunt at dawn or dusk away from any buildings and livestock. I put that letter in an envelope with a self addressed and stamped envelope to mail back to me with signed permission.

Out of about 50 envelopes last year I only got about 5 back. 10% isn't bad if you ask me...

Nothing beats knocking on doors though and talking to someone in person. More times than not you will get a positive answer because people don't like to say no to your face.

I almost forgot. I also post that same letter on Craigslist and last year picked up two more spots. Two separate 80 acres spots.

Last edited:
Knock on doors. If you start putting fur down, word of mouth travels faster. I've got people calling me to come hunt their property now. Once deer season closes, I rarely get turned away. Good luck

Last edited:
Mserman careful. It's a fed offense to put stuff in somebody's mailbox. I'm not the guy who cares but if somebody reports it could be a headache for you.

with most everyone having a cellphone these days if a landowner gives me permission to hunt I will ask for their cell number and ask them if they would like me to call or text them prior to entering their land. this works well for me since I hunt at night.

I used Vista print to make up cards with all my contact info on them. Every rancher I have ever gave them to thanked me and seemed to appreciate the contact info.

The deal on Vistaprint 500 cards for $12 or so, have a pile in my glovebox.

Too much info is better than not enough.

Originally Posted By: HuffrangerI used Vista print to make up cards with all my contact info on them. Every rancher I have ever gave them to thanked me and seemed to appreciate the contact info.

The deal on Vistaprint 500 cards for $12 or so, have a pile in my glovebox.

Too much info is better than not enough.

+1 Can't hurt and it's cheap.

Business cards would be a good idea.
I actually had a lady hug me when I asked permission to hunt coyotes recently, they had been entering her barn. She also gave me names of several of her neighbors to ask. They all gave me permission.

It must be a regional thing. If you were handing out business cards around here for coyote hunting you'd get laughed right back into your vehicle. In fact just knocking on doors can be a risky proposition when it comes to asking permission to hunt even for coyotes. You very well might get a but chewing generally not but its not unheard of. I'm not saying what you guys are doing is wrong just that its not the way it works around here.

Its also rural South Dakota and I could tell you who lives at every ranch for a 100 miles in either direction even if we've never spoken before. Finding a property thats not locked down by someone else can be tricky itself. A wide majority of the properties I hunt which is quite a few I gained through dealings with my small business.

Originally Posted By: FairChase93It must be a regional thing. If you were handing out business cards around here for coyote hunting you'd get laughed right back into your vehicle. In fact just knocking on doors can be a risky proposition when it comes to asking permission to hunt even for coyotes. You very well might get a but chewing generally not but its not unheard of. I'm not saying what you guys are doing is wrong just that its not the way it works around here.

Its also rural South Dakota and I could tell you who lives at every ranch for a 100 miles in either direction even if we've never spoken before. Finding a property thats not locked down by someone else can be tricky itself. A wide majority of the properties I hunt which is quite a few I gained through dealings with my small business.

Fairchase93, i am considering a move back to SD (Sioux Falls, where i left 26 years ago due to marriage) in the next year and a half/2 years for health reasons. i know that Minnehaha county plates are, well, to put it mildly are thought of as the "anti-christ" by all the other counties, especially the rural ones for political reasons. Is this the main reason land owners are so against outside (non-local county) hunters or is it because of a few disrespectful "hunters" that are ruining it? or is some of it that the land owners lease most of the land out for high dollar? and this is a serious question and in no way saying that any of these reasons are me attacking the land owners, im just trying to figure stuff out if i actually want to move back. thank you!

That’s awesome Mike!

Another helpful hint, if you have any game ranches in the area, give them a call and leave your number on their voicemail explaining what you’d like to do, if someone doesn’t answer.

Good luck and hope to see some pics of some yotes!

Back