First fired shot off an inch+

dan158

Close the bolt easy and the first shot goes inch plus high from rest of group. If pull charging handle back and let the bolt slam shut it stays in the smaller group.. I even pushed the FA as hard as could forward and it still shoots high from the rest.. Any help here.. Thank you.. Dan

That's just an AR thing. The bolt is not locking up quite the same when you ease it in. Possibly slamming the cartridge in there settles things down but you have something I've seen severl times over the years. Maybe it doesn't quite fit the same under the extractor or gets cocked slightly as you ease it in.

Greg

It’s an AR always let it slam home. Do it before you get out of the truck if you are worried about the noise(and you should be)
MB

It shoots very good groups if I let it slam home.. Not allowed loaded firearms in vehicle MB.. I even measured the OAL before and after slam home and the bullets stays put in the case..Dan

Originally Posted By: MasterBlasterI mean just be for you step out to hunt.
MB

I could do that when I have a stand I have to walk 400 yards to..
I just like it to shoot the same if I just close the bolt easy or slam it.. Out of the rest of my ARs, that gun is the only one that does it.. Dan

When I was on SWAT team they always said let slides drop on rounds. Never feed in easy! Rifle or handgun.

Let one slam home then extract it and measure oal. Ive seen bullets seat shorter when they crash into the feed ramps and then pull back out beyond load oal when they chamber and crash to a stop.

Last edited:
When I get to my hunting spot, I always gear up and put one in the chamber as soon as I get out of the truck. When I put one in the chamber, I let it slam shut as hard as it can. Its not quiet but its the best way to get complete and consistent bolt lock up. I figure its just part of hunting with an autoloader. It doesn't matter if its an AR, a Mini 14, or an 11-87 - you gotta get the bolt closed somehow.

So as to not make much noise I just stick the muzzle out the barely open/cracked window and let the action slam closed either just before we get to the place to ditch the rig or at the place. I try to make the noise inside the rig otherwise the metallic noise is a dead giveaway to all critters that something ain't right.

Back