Building a varmint/prairie dog hunter

SEMOmike

Over the next 5 months I’m going to build myself a quality prairie dog killer for a trip in May/June to Wyoming to shoot prairie dogs.

I’m really going to concentrate on getting a quality barrel, trigger, and glass first. Money is definitely a consideration.

.223/ Wylde
Ar-15

Will spend $250 max on the barrel (I want a heavy or bull)
$200 max on the trigger
Glass is going to get me. Got a girl in college, can’t drop a [beeep] load of jack on glass, was thinking of getting a Nikon Monarch in 6-20 or something similar

What barrel and trigger is of best value?

Last edited:
I have shot a ton of prairie dogs with a Stag 18" heavy fluted, Wylde, 8 twist. Heavy enough to ride the bags or sticks ok, but also light enough to pack around through the pasture. Shot one out and the second shoots about as well. Was not hard to find loads for with various bullets either.

$200 for a trigger is easy. You can get a 3# Timney for a little less than that. The barrel might be tricky. If you want a really good one, you can up your price limit to $300 for the barrel. That would get you into a White Oak Armament or a Black Hole Weaponry barrel. If you hold out for the upcoming Christmas sales, you might get a little closer to the $250 mark. Otherwise, you might have to go with a budget brand like AR Stoner, which can be hit or miss in terms of quality. I've built some rifles with budget parts and had pretty good luck, but that's not always a guarantee. That's why, when it comes to barrels (which is arguably the most important part of an accurate rifle) most people will say something like "buy once, cry once."

yup - if you watch for a sale, or catch one used - a timney can be had for under $200. easily. the last one i picked up (gently used) was $150.

however dont discount some of the lower priced cassette style triggers. some of those are getting rave reviews and i think its

if you can save the extra $$ and put it towards your barrel, a WOA heavy varmint is only $285
https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/shop/barrels/20-varmint-barrels.html

in the past they have run a fluting sale Christmas week - thats when i ordered my 223 barrel. i'm suuuuuuper happy with it.

i dont recall if they ran barrel sales with it as a general thing, but its worth the wait of a couple weeks to find out. sign up for their mailing list at the very least
smile.gif

I'd spend a bit more on the barrel and you can make up the difference on the trigger without any problem. You might want to chat with Ritch about a barrel. I'm sure he can meed your needs without much fanfare at all.

Greg

Originally Posted By: SEMOmikeOver the next 5 months I’m going to build myself a quality prairie dog killer for a trip in May/June to Wyoming to shoot prairie dogs.

I’m really going to concentrate on getting a quality barrel, trigger, and glass first. Money is definitely a consideration.

.223/ Wylde
Ar-15

$200 max on the trigger
Glass is going to get me. Got a girl in college, can’t drop a [beeep] load of jack on glass, was thinking of getting a Nikon Monarch in 6-20 or something similar

What barrel and trigger is of best value?

If you want a really great prairie dog barrel, look at a chamber that has a shorter throat than a Wilde. That is, unless you plan on shooting bullets over 70 grains.

The prairie dogs I shoot with the .223 are normally 50 grain bullets, sometimes as heavy as 55 grains, but I use a 1:12 or a 1:14 twist barrel and a light-match chamber, made just for varminting.

Spend a little more on the barrel and I think you will be happy.

Originally Posted By: SEMOmikeOver the next 5 months I’m going to build myself a quality prairie dog killer for a trip in May/June to Wyoming to shoot prairie dogs.

.223/ Wylde
Ar-15

$200 max on the trigger

What barrel and trigger is of best value

?

Save yourself some time and grief, get a RRA hvy varmint 24" 1-12 twist upper, you will be pleased!!

slickshot223 beat me to the punch. I was going to suggest the very same rifle.I had one and several others. The RRA is the only one I regret selling.

I have to agree with some of the above advise, unless you're just sold on building your own. RRA has been running weekly specials on uppers and complete guns at GREAT prices. I've got a RRA Coyote Carbine 16" that is an absolute tack driver, the heavy bbl should be great also. Plus, they come with a good trigger, plenty good enough for shooting prairie dogs.
That's just my humble opinion, but good luck whatever route you take.

Building my lower tonight (first time), I screwed up and pinched and screwed up the stock detention spring. SOB!

Seems like that was awfully easy to do!

When I put my AR-15 varminter together about 10 years ago I used a Double Star lower and installed a Chip McCormick two stage trigger on it. Then on advice from a friend that has built several AR's for himself I bought one of these https://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=265 as complete upper and I was done. After topping the rig with a VX-III 6.5-20X Leupold and sighting it I shot my first 5 shot groups with it. All 5 went into a hole that could be covered with a dime. Then I let my buddy shoot it (he did not even own an AR) and he duplicated my group. Was I pleased? What do you think? It has an aftermarket stock on it (not a Magpul) that I dont really care for but hey- it works and the gun shoots amazing. A great shooting AR-15 on the (fairly) cheap. I still pat my myself on the back in regards to this one.

For yet another option I would suggest a barrel from AR15performance.com. He's got 5.56 barrels from 12.5 to 20", all with stellar reviews. You can't go wrong with a BHW barrel either.

Originally Posted By: SEMOmikeBuilding my lower tonight (first time), I screwed up and pinched and screwed up the stock detention spring. SOB!

Seems like that was awfully easy to do!

spring things happen

usually they're launching across the room - or launching a detent across the room - followed by much swearing though LOL

just remember to take your time and it'll help less spring things happen.

thankfully a single spring is cheap, although if you cant find one locally you'll probably end up spending more on the shipping than the spring itself.

wont hurt to have some backups so you may be better served just ordering a spring/detent kit like this one

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003305931/cmmg-ar-15-lower-pin-and-spring-kit

they're available all over, that was just the first google click to the kit i was looking for
smile.gif

primary arms sells just the spring you need for $1, but shipping is $8.50

hth

Me and the boy got everything done up to the barrel. I've decided on a semibull barrel in 18-20", just haven't decided on the manufacturer yet.

I'm also going to pick-up a YHM freefloat handguard for no other reason than i like the looks of it.

Still need to figure out the optics also.

Building these is not tough at all!!!

Back