RCBS case tumbler motor going belly up!

Vance

My tumbler has been giving me fits lately, it starts up but seems to run at about half speed. It's slow enough that it won't actually vibrate enough to turn over the media. Then if I let it try for long enough and use my Fonzie tricks I can get it going but not at full speed like it used to.

Can I buy a motor and just replace that?

RCBS seems to not be too proud of the product, I can't even find it on their website.

I know many are moving towards wet tumbling, and maybe I should as well, but then again, you still have a motor that can fail.

Any suggestions, or fixes for this?

I just got off the phone with RCBS, and just as I expected, out of warranty and they have no repair parts available for purchase.

So whats the best value on a new tumbler ?

you just missed out - like week or so ago the frankford aresenal wet tumbler kit was on sale for $120. its back up to around 180 right now [beeep]
frown.gif

Yep, That's just how I roll. I'm always a day late and dollar short it seems.

I'm thinking I may try to build a home built rotary.

one option is to take it apart & get the model # off the motor, then just shop for that & see what you find. I've never taken one apart, so I'm not sure what you'll get into. Replacement could require some soldering, for example, or maybe adding some crimp connectors? I can't see it being too complicated though, it's just a simple motor that's either on or off.

I would at least call RCBS and ask them about it before buying anything or taking it apart. They really do have great customer service, so you never know until you ask.

google how to replace rcbs case cleaner motor

Plenty of talk about failures. I don't think I'd buy another RCBS cleaner. I'd let them fix it if they'll cover it but what I'm reading indicates a poor design & cheap components.

Well, I was going to recommend the Midway 1292 tumbler which I have been using exclusively for probably 15+ years without any issues, and I shot a LOT. Cost around $40 IIRC. BUT, when looking for a link to post, found this instead:

MIDWAY 1292 TUMBLER RECALL

It sure doesn't owe me anything, as I use it extensively, often letting it run overnight and occasionally forgetting it for a day or more as it is in the garage. Haven't made up my mind what to do, but at the very least will move it to the center of shop on concrete floor.
scared.gif

Regards,
hm

I have a dillon CV-500. don't make it any more, the smaller one is now the CV-750 and the motors aren't the same. 5 years on the motors now.

I really don't recall what it was when I bought mine but I have read that Dillon will modify a 500 to take the 750 motor. Problem is, it costs about $100 which is almost as much as a new 750 & twice what some of the cheaper models out there run. So far, zero problems with mine (1992 model) but if it ever does crap out I'll have to decide which way I want to go with it. I can say that there's nothing cheap about the quality on the Dillons but it may or may not be worth the extra $$$.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGMy RCBS tumbler died, I replaced it with the above Frankford unit. It seems the RCBS ones don't last very long.

How long have you had yours, do you like it?

This is the one I'm considering right now.

Back