First Sets

TheBig1

I was finally able to get out and set my first traps. I only set 2 dogproofs. I had a plan in mind for a few single long springs but when I got on top of the mountain all of the streams were completely frozen. Due to my inexperience I didn't know what to do or how to set once my plan was blown.

The good news is that I cut tracks that I believe were bobcat. They were a day or two old so I couldn't discern. They walked in a straight line walking up and over multiple dead falls instead of around them.

I got a few traps prepped for cats and cannot wait to hit the mountain in the morning.

Chad

Ive heard that if you set on Bobcat sign your likely to catch them. Not smart and always come back through where they have been.

Good luck and post your results !

Get you an old CD or long turkey feather to turn in the wind. The motion is a cat getter. Bobcats aren't great sniffers like a yote, so save the lures and go for shine and movement, just off the trail its using. A 1.75 will catch a cat, but I usually have a #3 for such purposes, only because it's kind of a blind set and the catch area is bigger.
You will find that a sugar based kids breakfast chow in your DPs will narrow down your knocked over traps. Dakota line makes a "Coon kicker" liquid lure that works great. Horse grain"sweet feed" works great as well, with it having a sweet smell. I use it to catch the coons getting into our horse barn with a shot of the coon kicker on the post I set the trap by.
Go get'em

I just started making some sets 10 days ago; first ever attempts at trapping, period. Have had a blast so far, and had more success than I ever expected. Already figured out what my all time favorite set is gonna be...... a remake. Hoping to get some 'bobcat' sets in this next week, but if they are like what I have done for 'coyote' sets who knows what will step in them. Sure does seem like Christmas every morning heading out to see what we may have got.

All things being equal, I have had some success luring cats. It was by pure accident, I bought a long distance call lure for deep winter, low temp trapping. I made my sets and used Blackie's Blend Magnum Call about 4 feet above set(fence post, tree, etc). I used that at about 10 sets, in 2 days I had caught 4 cats at those sets using fox and coyote gland at the focal point of the set. The sets had been there for a month or so and no cat activity until the use of that scent.
I was only after yotes and had promised the rancher I would keep incidental catches to a minimum. I quite using the lure and did my best to remove what was in the field. Didn't catch another cat either.
Man this stuff is stout! You get it on your hands and you'll swear someone has put a run over skunk in your glove. I was using a gob about the size of a lima bean.
Another trick, he he, if you got a house cat get you some fresh cat poop. Make a toilet set. Just off the travel way, with a bush for backing, bed trap, and drop that "tootsie roll" by the bush. Make some scratch marks with your pocket knife, and sift a light covering of dirt over La' Turd. A good shot of bobcat urine on the backing bush and your cat trapping!
Same set can be used as a blind set by using the cd/feather trick tied high in a tree to get their attention and get them to the area where the anal/urine scents will take over the cat's attention.
PSA- learn how to release kittens and females. The little ones don't bring much and the females will have "milk belly." Meaning the fur has been rubbed by feeding kittens, not bringing you much. Most importantly you'll be killing off the seed for seasons to come. Bobcats aren't the most successful animals at raising young, a trapper can really put a hurting on them if not careful.

Obaro, good luck Brother! Sounds like we're in the same boat. I went out to make another cat set today. I got to a frozen stream which I wanted to set on and found a very fresh set of cat tracks walking right up the middle of the stream. Wasn't hard to figure out that I should make a cubbie set right there.

Originally Posted By: WyYoteKillerAll things being equal, I have had some success luring cats. It was by pure accident, I bought a long distance call lure for deep winter, low temp trapping. I made my sets and used Blackie's Blend Magnum Call about 4 feet above set(fence post, tree, etc). I used that at about 10 sets, in 2 days I had caught 4 cats at those sets using fox and coyote gland at the focal point of the set. The sets had been there for a month or so and no cat activity until the use of that scent.
I was only after yotes and had promised the rancher I would keep incidental catches to a minimum. I quite using the lure and did my best to remove what was in the field. Didn't catch another cat either.
Man this stuff is stout! You get it on your hands and you'll swear someone has put a run over skunk in your glove. I was using a gob about the size of a lima bean.
Another trick, he he, if you got a house cat get you some fresh cat poop. Make a toilet set. Just off the travel way, with a bush for backing, bed trap, and drop that "tootsie roll" by the bush. Make some scratch marks with your pocket knife, and sift a light covering of dirt over La' Turd. A good shot of bobcat urine on the backing bush and your cat trapping!
Same set can be used as a blind set by using the cd/feather trick tied high in a tree to get their attention and get them to the area where the anal/urine scents will take over the cat's attention.
PSA- learn how to release kittens and females. The little ones don't bring much and the females will have "milk belly." Meaning the fur has been rubbed by feeding kittens, not bringing you much. Most importantly you'll be killing off the seed for seasons to come. Bobcats aren't the most successful animals at raising young, a trapper can really put a hurting on them if not careful.

That's some great information Killer. My dad actually told me about the cat poop also. It's kind of funny but apparently it works.

Back