Nighstalker Tripod: Reaper Grip or Pig Saddle?

wardogo

This seems to be a high quality tripod at a very fair price. I want to order one but don't know whether to get the Shadow Tech Pig Saddle or Kopfjager “Reaper Grip” rest.

I want to use this with multiple firearms, bolt action rifles, AR15 platforms and others so it complicates what I want to do.

I spoke with Tom who was very helpful and he suggested the Pig Saddle because it gets about a quarter inch smaller than the Reaper Grip and would be the safe bet for using with a rifle like the Ruger American Ranch Rifle bolt action.

However, I do like that the Reaper Grip has a mounting plate for a camera and or other accessories like predator call remote and that could be very useful. I'd hate to buy the Pig Saddle and then find out that the Reaper Grip would have worked fine with my bolt action rifles (which have thinner stocks than most AR15s) and has the mounting plate. I'm trying to avoid buyers remorse here. So, I'm looking for people who've had experience with both Reaper Grip and Pig Saddle and seeing if the Reaper Grip would work for me. I started this thread because I didn't want to hijack the other Night Stalker Tripod thread.

So, will the Reaper Grip work just fine with most bolt action rifles and it would be ok for me or should I get the Pig Saddle?

Last edited:
Interested in this as well, I use my Remington 7 Predator at night prettt often and it's fairly thin on the fore end. I have others I could use but would like to be able to get the most use from the tripod with all my rifles.

I don't know how thin your rifles are, but I can put a Ruger 10/22 or a Tikka t3 in 22-250 in with no problem. And it's wonderful for my ar! I will try to post pics tomorrow. It is the Reaper rest.

I have two slik 700dx tripods with reaper grips. I hunt with ARs and they work perfectly. my 22 magnum does fit in the reaper grip loosely so I carry a chunk of rubber mat material with me to provide a snugger fit for the 22 mag. my rem 700 in a 22-250 fits just fine in the grip.

Super stable setup my kill ratio has increased significantly since getting these tripods.

scanning with a rifle mounted scope is so much better with a tripod. especially when hunting with a heavy AR15

see link to my tripod below.

reaper%20rest.jpeg

Originally Posted By: Shaun SimmaI have two slik 700dx tripods with reaper grips. I hunt with ARs and they work perfectly. my 22 magnum does fit in the reaper grip loosely so I carry a chunk of rubber mat material with me to provide a snugger fit for the 22 mag. my rem 700 in a 22-250 fits just fine in the grip.

Super stable setup my kill ratio has increased significantly since getting these tripods.

scanning with a rifle mounted scope is so much better with a tripod. especially when hunting with a heavy AR15

see link to my tripod below.

reaper%20rest.jpeg

Nice setups! Thanks.

Hmmm....good to know that the .22 is loose in there. Ugh....I can't afford one tripod with 2 grips.....

Thanks for the help everyone. With help from Tom from Night Goggles I ordered the tripod with Reaper Grip. Excited to try it out this summer.

You can answer this question simply by measuring the width of your rifles handguard/fore-end with a caliper. If its wider than 1.75" either rest will work.

Thanks for the order, wardogo!

Originally Posted By: NGI_TOMYou can answer this question simply by measuring the width of your rifles handguard/fore-end with a caliper. If its wider than 1.75" either rest will work.

Thanks for the order, wardogo!

I’ve never owned calipers but thanks for the suggestion. I’m just planning ahead for when my kid starts shooting and has a small rifle. The Reaper should fit all of my rifles now. By the time he starts shooting maybe the Swine Saddle will have been invented and fit. lol.

Thanks for the help Tom! And thanks for building a quality product at a fair price.

Last edited:
Back