AR build

Ryan Halterman

Im looking to do a AR build, cant use it for anything but fox and coyotes in the commonwealth of PA. I was going to go with a 6.5 creedmoor but thats a expensive build. Any thoughts? I guess my question is what caliber should I be looking into? Keep in mind I have a 22-250 already.

I think you'd like the 204. That or a .17 Remington.

Do you reload? That would open up other options like the 20 Practical, .17-223, etc.

Lots of factors to consider: things like shot ranges, how concerned you are with saving fur, weight, length, etc.

Adam, Im looking to shoot no farther then 300 yards and thats not going to happen often. In most cases im shooting no farther then 200 yards. I try to save the fur but ive even had some big holes with the 17 bmag I use. I thought about the 17 remington but did some research and most people say for a coyote 150 is the max to shoot and thats if your going for the head or neck. Shot placement is key with any caliber IMO. But I dont do reloading at this time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ryan HaltermanJust dont see the need to have a 223 if I have a 22-250, I was thinking of maybe going to a 204.

Your 22-250 is not an AR.. Dan

Originally Posted By: Ryan HaltermanNo but i dont want the same caliber in the AR, that just seems pointless to me. Might as well get a different caliber.

[beeep], if that was me, I wouldn't own 60% of the guns I do!

I think a .223 in an AR platform would be significantly different than a bolt action .22-250. Sure, it may shoot the same diameter bullet but, from a predator hunting perspective, it gives you a quick follow-up shot if you need one. Plus, if you're not too trigger-happy, it can be significantly cheaper to feed. If you're still not convinced on a .223, .204 is a good option. However, I feel like the effective range is still kinda limited for coyotes, unless you go with a heavier bullet. In that case, you're right back to a .223 anyway. Last, but not least, you could look into the 22 Nosler or the 224 Valkyrie. I haven't had a chance to read up on either yet, but both look like they have a lot of potential for coyote hunting.

I personally find the 204R to be closer to a 22-250 bolt gun than a 223/5.56 AR would be. I've done a buttload of shooting and hunting with the 50grn V-max for many years, but I've been shooting the last ~5yrs or so primarily the 77SMK and now the 73 ELD. In 22-250, I almost exclusively run the 50 v-max, and in 204R, I run the 40 V-max... So my 22-250 bolt gun and my 204R are much more similar than my 223/5.56 loads.

The 6.5 Grendel or 6.8SPC are interesting, I very much enjoy both, but if you're finding the 17WSM to be too messy already, these wouldn't be great options. Heck, I'd be concerned about the 204R anywhere south of 100yrds if you're finding the 17WSM to be messy!

Back