Imr 4350 in a 6.5 creedmoor?

schmidty

Hey guys. Just ordered a new rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. Trying to keep from being so many different kinds of powder and already have a good stock of imr4350. Just wondering if it's worth my time work g up a load with it?

Originally Posted By: schmidty Hey guys. Just ordered a new rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. Trying to keep from being so many different kinds of powder and already have a good stock of imr4350. Just wondering if it's worth my time work g up a load with it?

I just picked up a 6.5 Creedmoor today so I'll be working up some loads as well. Imr-4350 should work ok, but the grain size is a little bit longer than the H-4350 version that many rave about. That longer grain is bulkier in the case and may limit you on the top end for not being able to get enough of the Imr in the case.

Rl-26 is the bee's knees from what I have read. I think I will start there with 140's.

Lots of guys on snipers hide have used it as a not so direct replacement for H4350. Its burns a little different, but many had success. It will not offer the reliability in extreme temps that H4350 will.

Yah, one of my shooting buddies used it successfully in his new awesome custom chassis gun, until we'all found a stash of H4350.

Originally Posted By: schmidtyWhat is the main difference between h4350 and imr4530? I always thought they were pretty similar.

H-4350 is less temp sensitive and has smaller grain size making it possible to put more in the casing. Other than that they are very close.

I'm using Accurate 4350 in my wife's 6.5. I get the accuracy in spades but I don't think I get all the speed it's capable of.

Originally Posted By: SmokelessThat's ball powder, not stick. Correct?

No it's a short stick. They also have 4064 and 2495, which is 4895. I bought them during the crunch when things were hard to get. The 2495 has worked great in the M1 and also load some stupid accurate 30-30 with the FTX 160 gr bullets. I don't get the speed that you see with H4895 though.

Originally Posted By: 204 AROriginally Posted By: SmokelessThat's ball powder, not stick. Correct?

No it's a short stick. They also have 4064 and 2495, which is 4895. I bought them during the crunch when things were hard to get. The 2495 has worked great in the M1 and also load some stupid accurate 30-30 with the FTX 160 gr bullets. I don't get the speed that you see with H4895 though.

Good to know. Never looked at any. I just assumed all AA powder was ball.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Smokeless
schmidty said:
Rl-26 is the bee's knees from what I have read. I think I will start there with 140's.

Do you have any info on RL26 in 6.5x47L with 140’s?

No. I don't.
But i have 3 pounds of 26 now and a 6.5 Creedmoor that's hungry.
grin.gif

Made up a few loads tonight with 140gr eld-match, and 143gr eld-x Hornady. It's going to be tough to get max powder charge (quick loads) in the case if I can make it that far. In the Lapua case, I'm just not sure you can drop tube enough RL26 in that case to make a gain. Creedmoor, maybe.

There is the RL16 though that's made for the case size. Temp stable, and of course, hard to find. I'll post up what I find.

I've reloaded both H4350 and IMR4350 in my 260. Both with similar results, but the H4350 being slightly more accurate. Since I shoot year round from temps 20-85, sticking with the H4350. Plus it's never an issue getting it here.

Best accuracy with AA4350 was with 140-147g bullets, this powder is the slowest of the 4350's.

R#17 will work well with the 140's.

Originally Posted By: thoms715I use H4350 and when it gets harder to find I'll try IMR4451. This has been recommended by several other shooters.

This too. Stock up on H4350 while you can.

Back