Concealed Carry Reciprocity Passes out of House Committee

hm1996

Staff member
Quote: Concealed Carry Reciprocity Sent to House Floor!

There was great news coming out of the House Judiciary Committee today!

By a 19-11 vote, the Constitutional Carry-friendly reciprocity legislation was voted out of the House committee and is now on its way to passage by the full House. This is H.R. 38, which was authored by Rep. Richard Hudson (R-NC).

The legislation would allow anyone with a permit, and anyone from a Constitutional Carry state, to carry in any state in the country -- thereby countering the fascist laws of anti-gun states.

In particular, it would allow residents of repressive states to get non-resident permits and thereby circumvent local anti-gun officials.

The term "handgun" would be defined to include "any magazine for use in a handgun and any ammunition loaded into a handgun or its magazine."

This would circumvent efforts by states like Massachusetts and California to effectively ban guns by banning and/or registering magazines and ammo.

Suffice it to say that pushing the GOOD version of reciprocity to the verge of House passage and enactment is a huge accomplishment which should not be underestimated.

Speaking of the "good version of reciprocity," the House committee fended off an attempt by Democrats to delete the Constitutional Carry protections in the bill.

By a 17-8 vote, Republicans defeated an anti-gun amendment offered by Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-MD) that would have sought to limit concealed carry reciprocity to permit holders only.

Gun Owners of America opposed this amendment and was happy to see it go down to an inglorious defeat.

Nevertheless, there was some bad news.

The House committee passed a "Fix NICS" bill which will result in more innocent people being thrown into the NICS system.

The six heroes who voted against background check infringements were Reps. Andy Biggs (R-AZ), Ken Buck (R-CO), Louie Gohmert (R-TX), Jim Jordan (R-OH), Steve King (R-IA), and Raul Labrador (R-ID).

Gun Owners of America has strongly opposed this legislation, and you can see our previous analysis here, here and here.
Having said that, we are inclined to believe that the GOOD reciprocity bill is a much, much bigger deal for us than Fix NICS is for the gun grabbers.

Both bills now advance to the floor of the House.

Please stay tuned for further updates.

In Liberty,
Erich Pratt
Executive Director

Follow me on Twitter: @ErichMPratt

P.S. Thank you for all your activism in favor of H.R. 38. Stay tuned for more updates. In the meantime, don't forget to check out the latest Firing Back Podcast , which provides needed ammunition to counter the talking points from your liberal anti-gun friends and family during the holiday season.

Regards,
hm

Being a Massachusetts resident I very much like this Bill
wub.gif

don't worry, there's still plenty of time for the gop to screw this up. wouldn't surprise me to see mccain filibuster it or something.

"In particular, it would allow residents of repressive states to get non-resident permits and thereby circumvent local anti-gun officials."

How so??? As I understand it out of state issued permits will not be valid in the persons state of residence. That is to say, for example, if you live in the communist democrat state of Maryland {like me} you cannot go to Virginia and get a permit and then use it to carry in Maryland.
I agree, it will allow you to get a non-resident permit, but if it's still not usable in your resident state how does that allow you to "circumvent" local officials???? It reads that if you cant get a permit in your home state of residence now you still cannot use it to carry at home.

It sounds to me like we need to read the "Fix NICS" part more closely..... I think..... This sounds like it could drop us more deeply into the control/deny area. I have read some posts elsewhere that are quite concerned about this part of the bill since the CA Dems sponsored that part.

If it all turns out good then I am for it..... However, if not, well there are more battels to be fought. This from an IL CCP and Utah CCP person.

Just my thoughts.....

Back