What to Use for a Thermal Target? (Dumb Question Alert)

LDhunter

OK... My PTS233 will be here tomorrow and I just realized I'll have to sight it in with something besides my "standard" targets.

What do y'all recommend for a thermal target?

I'm guessing there is some sort of home remedy type thingy available but I'm stumped.

Thanks in Advance,
$bob$

I've used both of what Mr. P suggests with about equal success. Both work well. You can also use aluminum foil or get a roll of aluminum tape like is used for hvac work and you can cut nice neat squares off it. Will last your lifetime.

Bob, handwarmer at 50 yards works good, but tape the entire handwarmer over with duct tape to keep the contents from spilling out when you start shooting.

RS64%2035%20Target%20CloseUp.jpg

First couple of shots were on the left and walked it over to Center after that but handwarmer started to fall apart. After this lesson I learned to tape over the entire packet to keep it intact.

Take a standard 1" grid target, and tape some aluminum foil crosses, squares or whatever to it. Make sure the tinfoil is exposed.

I don't doubt that this will work and I'm about to modify a couple of my target's to have tinfoil target centers for use later today if this sleet and freezing rain ever quits here in NW Florida (that's right I didn't stutter I said NW Florida) but my old thinker can't seem to grasp why tinfoil is so visible to a thermal scope...

Can someone please clear the fog surrounding this old brain at least temporarily?

A thermal ( see's ) with temperature difference.

The tinfoil will provide a contrast in temp that will give you a great target to zero on.

I use a hand warmer and a large chunk of cardboard with good results. When you shoot through the cardboard you can see your bullet hole for a short time from its heat.

Incredibly cool, but actually warm.......

Last edited:
I do something a little different. A 1/2 nut screwed to the back board and heated with a propane torch gives a very fine target for 10-15 minutes depending on conditions. It also makes a spectacular show in the thermal when you hit your target. I am going to try the tinfoil though.
target.jpg

The tinfoil is cheap and easy. Works day or night. I've tried handwarmers and they work too but a square of foil stapled to a target is all you need. Keep it simple.

Tinfoil has zero to no thermal emissivity, different metals and different materials have all different emissivity coefficients.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpI've used both of what Mr. P suggests with about equal success. Both work well. You can also use aluminum foil or get a roll of aluminum tape like is used for hvac work and you can cut nice neat squares off it. Will last your lifetime.

Same here. The aluminum tape for hvac works perfect!

Shiny aluminum as a thermal emissivity of about 0.05.

Human skin has a thermal emissivity of about 0.98.

Ice also has an emissivity of about the same as human skin, making it a great target for your Thermal microbolometer .

I just throw a couple cans of beans under the hood as I drive to the area where I shoot. My thermal picks them up really well. Good luck

I always use Hothands brand toe warmers. Plus they have adhesive on them, so you can stick em on something. The hand and body warmers are too big.

Best time to buy them is right after winter. Walmart clears them out for $1 for a package of 7 I think.

Tinfoil worked great for me at 100yards and -18F the other day using Trijicon mk3 60mm. Pulsar Trail XP 50 also worked with tinfoil two nights ago. Temp was about 15F.

Originally Posted By: stupidnewbieFYI - I tried today and can report tinfoil did not work @ 6 degrees and snowing.

I think your results are likely due to the snowy conditions.

Back