Best out of box 7mm-08 rifle for Accuracy.

junglekat

It will be for deer hunting.I do not reload.Will be using factory ammo/Everybody acts like 1 in 9 twist is best.Seems like nobody makes exactly 1 in 9 twist.

‘1 in 9 twist is best’, but nobody makes a 1 in 9” twist? I have to give some credence to rifle manufacturers for knowing what twist is suitable for the ‘most commonly’ used bullets in a standard chambering. Yes, there will always be outliers with shooters, shooting bullets not commonly used with a given round.

It’s like the 1-14” twist in a 22-250. That 1/9” may not work well with max warp, 50 grain, frangible bullets. If one wants to heavies, they can get a custom barrel in whatever twist desired.

The ‘most accurate’ 7mm-08? Besides the rifle we have the shooter, ammo, scope setup and a few other things in the equation. I like compact rifles when hunting, often on the move. For me that’s my X-Bolt ‘Micro-Hunter’ in 7mm-08, or 284 Winchester.

I've only shot two 7mm-08 rifles, both belong to extended family. One is an Axis without accutrigger, the other a Ruger American. Both are very accurate.

This

yDc3OrTm.jpg

Savage Lightweight Hunter (this one is in a Lady Hunter stock for my daughter)

Remington 700 is hard to beat. Everybody says savage is the way to go but I see just as many that need work as any other make and they are ugly. The only advantage savage has over remington is the trigger. Unless you get a rifle with a bedding block it's a crap shoot on if it will shoot or not.A bedding block is no guarantee but it helps. Usually if it needs work a good bedding job will take care of it. Tikka is a good option to but you have about the same odds as anything else on if its a shooter or not. Stick with a good name and model dont cheap out the reason the yugo brands cost less is because the are cheaply built. Just like ford and chevy its all iron just a matter of preference.

Last edited:
Tikka has built itself a reputation for "out of the box accuracy"
and all mine have shot factory ammo well since the T3 was introduced. The T3X has some decent improvements.

Another + on the Tikka. My 243 will shoot way better than I can and the action is so smooth. 7mm-08 is a great cal. Have one in a 788 Rem.

I bought an ugly Savage 16 Weather Warrior in 7mm-08. It shot so well that I bought my brother one in left hand as a present. Both easily shoot sub-moa with a variety of bullets. I have been going to Savage to hedge my bet on accuracy, but here are lemon Savages to be found new on the rack. Bought an accustock 6.5-284 that I couldn't get to shoot at all. Re-barreled into .284 Win. Shot marginally well. Threw the accustock in the trash and put the rifle in a skim bedded B&C. Shoots lights out now.

Also had an A7 Sako in 22-250. Shot like crap no matter what. Sent it in for service and it came right back with a different stock that shot just OK for the first 3-4 rounds. When I spoke to one of the good old boys in the service dept., he told me some barrels just do not respond to the Tika/Sako pressure point in the stock.

Another vote for savage.. My nephews dad bought him a savage axis 7-08 without accu-trigger and it shoots under moa at 100yards.. Every savage I have encounter have shot under MOA... Dan

T/C Venture. I think 7mm-08 is a fine deer cartridge. Shot one for years until mine burned up in my house fire Dec. 2016..I’ll be buying another this summer. I can’t understand the big attraction to the 6.5 CM because the 7mm-08 beats it hands down. IMO. I’ve always shot the 139 gr NBT.

Back