Are Wounded Hogs Dangerous

Olgrey

I am not sure how to approach this subject but have seen several videos of night time hog hunts. It appears that it is nothing unusual for some wounded hogs to get away. My question really is how likely is it for one of those wounded hogs to find a farmer working on his farm and attack the farmer or someone outside of a house? Does anyone have personal knowledge regarding this?

In my experience hogs aren't all that aggressive unless they're cornered or it's a sow with piglets. I think the scenario you're thinking of is highly unlikely. A hog,wounded or healthy is probably going to run when it encounters a human.

I agree with the above. I have hunted a lot of hogs and wounded a few. If you corner them, they will charge as will most any animal from a dog, deer, coon or anything else.

The worst hogs are those that have been pushed or chased especially with dogs. They are hyped up and aggressive.

I have never been worried about trailing a wounded hog, but am still cautious.

I never trail a wounded hog at night alone, been charged too many times.

Also, holding on to a squealing piglet is a surefire way to get charged, just stand back and let them squeal and shoot the sow when she comes in.

After working as a Veterinarian for many years, way too many porcine farmers were killed by their sows over screaming piglets

I wounded a hog that I shot from like 10 ft away. It ran away because it was wide open. I am guessing if you do the same thing in thick brush where it feels cornered it is going to charge.

If you wound a Hog and you think it is dead make sure. I have seen three this year jump up and try to get you when you walk up on them. Also when hunting at night especially with a Suppressor they will sometimes get confused and run right at you instead of away. Not really aggressive but they will not turn and they will throw their heads like a Bull trying to gore you when they pass. If they hit you with a Tusk you are cut bad. I killed a Big Hog last week at night which was a big Boar. He knew I was there but he was hungry and stood his ground popping his Teeth. Shot him head on at 20yds. They can be very dangerous but the only time I ever heard of when a Hog killed a person was when a Farmer had a Heart Attack and fell in a Domestic Pig Pen. Remember they eat anything.

Back