Grendel powder?

g Bo

I'm getting a reloader and wanted some advice on powder. My friend is selling some h4350 powder. Would that be a good fit for reloading for an AR Grendel?

No, too slow of a powder, purchase a reloading manual with a section on the 6.5 Grendel or visit some of the powder web sites most have data for their powder.

The new Lyman #50 has Grendel data,. It is always nice to have a book handy to keep on the bench. I have reloading manuals dating back to the 1960's when I started and every few years up date for the new cartridges and powders. Just got my Lyman #50 for Christmas from grand daughter and her husband.

Seems like the faster rifle powders are what is recommended for the Grendel, like AWS has indicated.
H335, H332, H4198, 8208XBR, TAC, X-TERMINATOR, AA2230, CFE-223 are in the rate of burn that are recommended for the Grendel in many manuals; pretty much a lot of the same powders that are popular for .223/5.56.

I tried a couple of powders I had on hand in my Grendel, Benchmark and TAC. TAC was more accurate, but I did get some 8208XBR. I have been wanting to shoot a 100 gr Nosler for coyotes, but did try some factory Hornady 123 SST too. My handloads with 8208 were more accurate and produced velocities of over 2700 fps with the Nosler. I have since killed three coyotes with them, definitely not fur friendly, but that's not a issue for me.
The Alexander Arms booklet I got from them (vol #1) is full of reloading info, with a wide variety of powders and bullets listed. Well worth the money.

Thank you for all the replies. I'd also like to get some stats on the grain bullets you're using and the fps you are achieving. I've been using my Grendel for night hunting with my thermal. I put a day scope on it ten days ago to hunt lions until I call one in.

What grain of bullet do you all use for coyotes? I've been using hornady 123 sst factory Ammo. Any load data would be appreciated..

I've been working with Benchmark, AA2520, 8208 XBR and I think N140 with different bullets. Have to look, I want to say I've tried a couple others as well that didn't do well for me. So far in my rifle Benchmark seems to be giving me the best accuracy of those I've tried.

I've also used WSR, Federal 205 and CCI 450 SR Magnum primers. I think the 205s have been best more often than not but all 3 have been acceptable.

My girls and I have used the 123 amax factory loads on several deer and they have been super; I have used the 95 vmax reloaded to about 2700fps and got along great on coyotes with it. Almost always exits, though, and can be rough on hides at the wrong angle, but sure makes 'em dead. Head on or broadside shots the damage hasn't been too bad, but some quartering exits have been pretty big.

I did have to seat the 95's pretty deep to get them to shoot sub MOA. They shot real well jammed in the lands but that sure wasn't the thing to do in the AR. (that was at a book COAL) I have shot a few coyotes with it at some long-ish ranges and though it wasn't devastating, the exits were still quarter sized, which indicated good bullet expansion to me. Have some 85 sierra hollow points that I would like to try, as well as some of the 100 amaxes to play with.

85 gr Sierra HP CCI 450 primers H335 powder Hornady Case. Shoots very good
123 ELDM IMR 8208 XBR Powder CCI 450 primer Hornady case Also shoots very good. Have tried CFE223 and it didn't shoot as good as the 8208 or H335. Have Lapua cases for the Howa mini Action but can't tell any difference between them and Hornady. Very impressed with the Grendel. So far a bobcat was too. No deer or coyote yet.

when I was getting ready to have a grendel built I looked into the same thing. Mainly considering 123 or so gr bullets for deer & pigs but also lighter for called predators.

I found a lot of folks singing the praises of AA2520 so I made sure to buy a couple lbs once I found some (that was post sandy hook & took a while).

others raved about 8208 XBR, so i got some of that. for primers it seemed that CCI 450 SR magnums were highly regarded so I bought some. Then others raved about Federal 205's being their goto primers for accuracy LOL

yeah, I bought some of those
wink.gif

I also had a large supply of winchester SR.

I found that 2520 and 8208 didn't work so well for my rifle but that Benchmark does. And that none of the primers tried are particularly bad in terms of group size but that fed 205 and CCI 450 do seem to be more likely to give me better groups than winchester SR, with every bullet & powder tried so far.

I'd like to try some federal 205 gold match, if I ever run across any. seems like I never find those when I go looking, but in large rifle 210 GM are the most accurate I've used with any load in any of my rifles, to the point where I just use them & don't bother with anything else. so maybe the SR variant might be as good? worth a try.

point being is that as always, every rifle is its own critter and may well not like what other peoples rifle do, you just have to work up the loads & see what happens.

was at the range yesterday shooting some 85gr Sierra loads & found I still had some 129gr SST loads to test. The 129 SST loads that I've tried have not been very accurate in this rifle but I figure why not? they're loaded & I'm here & have the time.

Past efforts with the 129gr SST have not been accurate enough to interest me. I was pleasantly surprised, all 5 groups were decent & 2 were good enough to make it worth loading up some more to see if they hold up.

This was with 8202XBR and CCI 450 primers in hornady brass.

8 lbs delivered yesterday. they shipped promptly. now I just have to wait until I can do some more loading

Back