cold days mean hot hunting.

Yotarunner

Custom Call Maker
so i just had the best stand ever this afternoon.
after work i decided to brave the cold (-18F) and make use of the east wind which we never get.
At roughly 1:00 pm I rolled up onto a new spot that i had only seen on a map and found a rockpile to setup.
after finding the Ecall had dead batteries, i let loose a few howls from the power howler and was answered by what sounded like 2 separate packs about a mile in front of me. After waiting a few minutes i started wailing away on a open reed rabbit and it wasn't long until i had 2 dogs charging in.
the 2 coyotes ducked into a coulee and when they re-apeared one was 50 yards to my far right and another was in front of me. I had to wait until the far right pup was behind my rockpile (10 yards?) before i shot the one in front. The one beside me ran 30 yards before i barked him to stop and anchored him as well.
I looked up to see more dogs running away near the treeline so i let rip with some ki-yi's and managed to TURN ALL 5 AROUND!.
Now i had 5 coyotes coming in so with my heart trying to jump out of my chest i rapidly topped up my mag and waited until they got to 300 yards and stopped.
by the way they were milling and looking around i could tell that they could see my truck through the bushes, but after a lot of back and forth waiting and calling i managed to pull one loose which got the confidence up for the others to follow.
one coyote came up the coulee and started sniffing his fallen comrade (my first coyote) and although i could have shot him i wanted to wait for another to appear that showed up right behind him a minute later.
not knowing where the others were i decided to shoot and so once again the 222 spoke and with a thump coyote #3 was down.
from here it gets confusing but near as i can tell the echo from the gunshot off the nearby hill confused 2 of the other coyotes which milled around in the ravine before slowly beginning to leave.
at 205 yards i got lucky and had one stop in a thin opening in the trees. i threaded my 40gr vmax through and coyote #4 was down which sent the remaining dog up the hill towards home.
with lots of barking and howling on my part i got the final dog to stop for a final look which sealed his fate. i had previously ranged the hill at 330 yards so i held second mill dot on his back and with a bang and a thump coyote #5 was doing death donuts in the field.

hope you guys enjoyed my story. i dont do many of these as my writing skills are sub par at best but this one i had to share.

in the pictures you can see the treeline in the background where they came from and the coulee they were ducking into. the final coyote died right next to the bush before the big forest.(straight up from the bell of my scope)

did i mention how cold it was! i could have sworn my fingers were freezing off at one point.

all packed up and headed for home

1689.gif

This post is nominated for Hunter of the Month. Sorry, the nifty little .gif isn't rotating, so all you see is "Nominated" for now.

Yotarunner--Congratulations on a great outing!!!! You showed a great deal of patience on that stand.

There's nothing wrong with your writing either as you did a fine job. The photos were GREAT too!!!

Keep the reports coming.

Originally Posted By: reloader326Congratulations! It's so great to hear a story like that with a .222 and 40 gr bullets.
Any idea what your velocities are?

funny enough i actually am running just about book minimum at 18 gr of 4198. i have not chronographed them but book says right around the 3000fps mark

Originally Posted By: wolftrapperNice pelts on those coyotes! Good work.

Looks like the 40 gr. v max does okay on fur, right? I shoot a .222 myself.

i just love it! i had a few in this batch with silver dollar size holes but thats the most "damage" i ever get if any at all.

thumbup.gif
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats on your fine Hunt--I've only known one time that one gunner called and killed all 5 that is special--Memories to last a lifetime--WTG

skip

Yeah buddy! The beard pic clearly shows how cold it was. Your bravery was matched with an epic adventure. Thanks for sharing, that got me pretty pumped to get back out, no matter the temp.

Wow! Awesome story! Well told along with good pictures, plus it's hard to be a good ole .222. I bet you briefly forgot about the cold while this was going down. Congratulations.

Good Job Yotarunner, great hunt story and pics. Love to hear stories about the triple deuce, I grew up with it. We’ll give you the Tough Man award for that frigid hunt!

Looks like a wild time! Bet the adrenaline was pumping for sure! Congrats man!

I think you can sell your beardcicles to the Chinese. I believe they are a delicacy over there.

Originally Posted By: AdamTWow! Awesome story! Well told along with good pictures, plus it's hard to be a good ole .222. I bet you briefly forgot about the cold while this was going down. Congratulations.

after dragging them all back to the truck i was glad for the cold! helped cool me down.

Back