Shot some reduced 223's (blowing up water bottles)

bmoore

I loaded up some 223's for my 6 1/2 year old son with 12.0 go Bluedot and a 50grn Vmax. He shoots the full house ones just fine but I wanted something to reduce the muzzle blast out of the short barrel. I got this load from someone who posted a ton of data on 223 and Bluedot. The load shot absolutely awesome out of my Ruger American Ranch, reduced noise and the big one......reduced muzzle blast out of the 16" barrel. I have some 40grn Vmax that I am going to put right at 2900fps for him which should be 10.5grns. You do need to take caution when loading these, I load the entire cartridge one at a time. Prime, powder drop, confirm, bullet seat, set aside. We blew up water bottles from 25-60 yards so I cannot say anything about accuracy yet, other than they shoot water bottles just fine.

Last edited:
Good for you and good for your fine looking boy there!

I plan on once again making good use of Blue Dot and the 40 grain Vmax on our local ground squirrel population starting in a couple of months. It was over 10 years ago that I first tried BD for some .223 loads and have been a fan ever since. They will not cycle my AR-15 but that's fine. They will shoot 1/2" groups in my two .223 bolt guns and that's OK with me. I use it in my .17 Remington, my .221 Furball and even my .243 AI now too. Knowing how well they shoot (and cheap!) and kill small critters makes me a big fan. Easier in the gun, the brass,the ears and the pocketbook. AND accurate. What's not to like here?

Originally Posted By: RustydustGood for you and good for your fine looking boy there!

I plan on once again making good use of Blue Dot and the 40 grain Vmax on our local ground squirrel population starting in a couple of months. It was over 10 years ago that I first tried BD for some .223 loads and have been a fan ever since. They will not cycle my AR-15 but that's fine. They will shoot 1/2" groups in my two .223 bolt guns and that's OK with me. I use it in my .17 Remington, my .221 Furball and even my .243 AI now too. Knowing how well they shoot (and cheap!) and kill small critters makes me a big fan. Easier in the gun, the brass,the ears and the pocketbook. AND accurate. What's not to like here?

Thanks! Yeah I can't wait to load up the 40's and see how they do on paper, 1 inch will be fine with me for their purpose.

Back