Raccoon hunt success

fratri

Since I am not having much luck with the coyotes lately, I figure I give myself a break and try to have some fun by combining a rabbit and coon hunt.

This afternoon, I went out to do some bushwhacking. I took along my .22 to hunt some rabbits and raccoons. I did manage to kick up one rabbit but no chance at a shot with the .22 but that's okay just being in the bush is rewarding enough.
I brought along my ecaller so when I came across a raccoon den type of tree, I would try and call out a raccoon. It turns out the only den type of tree I found held two raccoons. First one came out right away and climbed to the top and went into another hole in the tree before I could get around the tree for the shot. 30 seconds later this guy came out and I dropped him before he made it to his buddies location.

The hide was really good, a nice soft full coat of fur. I used a raccoon pup distress call.

If you are looking for a fun way of spending a few hours out in the bush, try raccoon calling. It can be really fun especially if you combine it with a rabbit hunt.

On a side note...... Lots and I mean lots of deer tracks in the cut corn, the deer are digging like crazy looking for those golden nuggets (corn kernels). So if anyone is still looking to fill a tag, find the food and you will find the deer
smile.gif

I do a lot of den calling, instead of setting the caller where you did, next time set up on the back side of the den right next to the tree. That's they way I do it. Don't want the coon to be able to see the caller when it comes out. Lot times if they can see where the sound is coming from the just back in the tree and stay.

Last edited:
Back