Brass Case Trimmers

soup

Folks.
Wondering if anyone is using the “ TRIM-IT “ brass trimmer ? If you are using one do you have it connected to a drill press or direct to a motor or a hand drill ?
Perhaps some members are using another BYOP , bring your own power , type trimmer or a power trimmer and I’d like to hear your first hand pros and cons.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. A very Happy , Healthy and Prosperous New Year to all.

Semper Fi
Soup

I have used a RCBS hand trimmer for years, still do on small batches. Several years ago, bought their power trimmer and the three way cutter head. It mostly stays set for .223 cases, not having to debur is nice. Had a Lyman for a while, the bearing that the cutter shaft runs in would move, causing the trim length to change. Gave it away, with a warning about the bearing.

I have been using a Lee hand trimmer since 1976 and I trim my cases each time I reload them. If I have a large batch to trim I put the shell holder in a cordless drill to trim them with less effort.

Last edited:
Also use the Lee hand trimmer, one for each type cartridge.
Use a power drill on case head then Lee trimmer mandrel in a -cutter-with-ball-grip
Check every case after full size die resize in a locked caliper, trim those that don't fit.

lee products aren't always the trendiest or sexiest purchase but they always work for me. I would definitely listen to the folks that bought the power drill style, though.

You can basically sum it up this way - if being off 0.002"/0.005" OAL doesn't mess with your mind, then any of the "fast" trimmers will do a great job for you. However, if you're of the anal type and want the OAL to be on the money - then only the "manual" type will currently do this, such as the Hornady, Wilson and others on the market.

People will tell you that your OAL on your cases can vary +/- 0.005 and it won't make one bit of difference accuracy wise - that may very well be true, but if those measurements just don't set well with you - then you just need to go back to the "old way".

On 223 cartridges I find you only need to trim after the initial firing and unless you load at top-end pressures, trimming once every 9 to 11 reloadings is more than sufficient.

I use the Hornady manual trimmer - might be the old slow way but the OAL is dead-nuts on for the OAL that I want. I've got "little helpers" when it comes time for trimming, so it's all good.
smile.gif

I have a Wilson set up for all my wildcats on the 204 case and a C&H(Wilson clone) for 223/6x45. I'm liking the Lee quick trim and have an inexpensive C-press set up to just trim and pull bullets. I use the Quick trim in 222 Rem, 6.5 Grendel and 22-250, these are my favorites. I have Lee hand trimmers for low volume cartridges and Lyman and Redding for oddball stuff like the 6.5x58R and 9.3x72R and a couple others. I hate having to adjust stuff so I'd rather have a couple trimmers set up (I find them used cheap at yard sales, gun show and a LGS's), that's one of the reasons I like the quick trims.

Last edited:
Looks to me like the "Trim-It" works the same a the World's Finest Trimmer (WFT), but with a better depth adjustment. There is a similar trimmer that also chamfers inside and out, but the name escapes me. I use the WFT when ever possible. It works fine. The case mouths are square and lengths are very consistent. I use a variable speed drill to turn the trimmer. I haven't trimmed brass the old fashioned way in years.

i know exactly what the chamber length is on every one of my rifles so i almost never trim a case.

but, i have a frankford arsenal case prep machine if i ever do. seems to be a real nice machine that will work fast and do the inside and outside chamfer too.

Here's my answer. I already had the trimmer, all the pilots, shell holders and didn't want to buy more stuff. This set up is really fast and works for everything but really short pistol cases. Pushing the lever down advances the drill in the carriage and the gutter spike presses the trigger. Let off the lever and the drill recedes and stops. Couple with a case prep trio right behind it and I trim, chamfer and deburr all at one time very quickly.

wxBZclKl.jpg

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlAlso use the Lee hand trimmer, one for each type cartridge.
Use a power drill on case head then Lee trimmer mandrel in a -cutter-with-ball-grip
Check every case after full size die resize in a locked caliper, trim those that don't fit.

^^^^^^^^^Works for me.

Fool proof, inexpensive, quick & easy. Que mas quieres?

I find it easier to trim after every firing than to measure and trim only the ones that need it. I place the sized/lubed case in the case holder mounted on cordless drill, spin it while holding w/dry rag to remove lube, pick up this Rube Goldberg fixture, trim and chamfer, all in one quick operation.

36048395731_e3cdedc436_o.jpg

Whole thing takes about the same amount of time as measuring each case. Accurate enough?
You decide. These targets both shot from prone position, no rest, iron sights:

100 yards (Xring=.75", 10 ring 1.75")
35573034482_4339fc3cf1_z.jpg

600 yards w/Mod 70 30-06
34900899614_13f9b22eb6_o.jpg

Shot from sandbags @ 100 yds:
34931632143_b21b6d2e57_o.jpg

While loading 100-300 rounds per week for competition, I've used Lyman trimmer w/add on power drive, Wilson hand trimmer and drill press mounted (2) trimmers, but switched to the Lees and find no fault with them.

Regards,
hm

I've tried the Lee "trim it" system and IMO it's junk. Makes a huge mess and you end up having to chamfer/deburr the finished brass which the tool is supposed to take care of. There are lots of good trimmers out there, and the Lee isn't one of them. I'm a fan of most Lee equipment, but pass on the the "trim it" system as there are lots of better choices out there. I personally prefer the CTS trimmer or the Hornady LnL trimmer with the RCBS trim pro 3 in one cutter. When I was young (and broke) I used the Lee cutter/lock stud method with good results.

I use a Wilson and a RCBS Trim Pro

I do at least 6 per minute with this Trim Pro:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RCBS-90365-Trim-Pro-2-Manual-Case-Trimmer-w-o-Pilots/382232932152?epid=1821355596&hash=item58fedbaf38:g:QEMAAOSwiHpaDNx2

I simply remove the handle and attach an adjustable speed 1/2" drill and use on slower speeds.

You can look for these used.

Wilson also makes a drill attachment, and I use that also.

My Brother uses the automatic Dillon, it is quick.

Both the Wilson and the RCBS Trim pro are very easy to adjust.

For the life of me I can't find a Lee "Trim It", what is it? I like to have trimmers that once they are set up they never need adjustment again. I can trim as fast as I can measure cases so I just trim every time I load them.

I don't mind chamfering cases and cleaning primer pockets, it is a no brainer job and I can take a couple trays of cases into the house, have coffee and talk to my wife instead of sitting out in the loading room. Heck I even have a portable press and powder measure that I can clamp to the island in the kitchen and charge and seat bullets, if it is too cold in the loading room(no heat).

I have the Lee old school trimmers and they are fine. The only issue with them I have is where I encounter cases shorter than the trimmer will allow to be uniformed.

I am a varmint loader at heart so I am out to remove every variable I can.

With my 788 in 22-250 the chamber at the end of the neck is short. On firing I get bright marks on the case mouth. With a Lee trimmer I can not adjust that out.

So I opted for a Lyman Universal and when my cutter got dull I upgraded to their carbide cutter. The same cutter has now served me for 30 plus years.

Lately I have been also using the Wilson tool. It gives me dead nuts square case mouths but I mostly relegate it to accuracy cartridges.

My third trimmer is the Forester trimmer but it is always set up for outside neck turning.

As a matter of experience I don’t favor the collet trimmers for general trimming of cases. I find that case rim variations affect how the case is situated in the collet and that in turn affects the case length trim measurement. My Lyman Universal also varies the final case length but not as much as the collet based trimmers. Being a tight wad I also don’t like buying first pilots and then getting dinged for having to get collets.

I do also own an RCBS trimmer because I got the bright idea that I would use the new then 3way trimmer head. I have not gotten around to buying the head so I can’t report on that one yet.

Three44s

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AWSFor the life of me I can't find a Lee "Trim It", what is it?

i'm guessing they mean the quick trim system.

they work good, but you gotta tinker with them a bit, depending on the caliber.

i use them and get great consistency and its one pass thru for trim, chamfer and deburr.

i have the power trim and use a small 12v hand drill to spin it.

this is the method i'm using, skip to the 6:40 mark for the discussion on specifically the quick trim mod trick

i use the factory spring tensioner for 308, 30-06, etc - thicker necked brass. for the thinner walled brass like 223, 300blk, etc - i use the method in the video above with the smaller ¼" ball bearing

i can trim ~600 cases an hour give or take with this system and the consistency is spot on.

i will strongly recomend keeping your driver speed to around 1400-1600 RPM range. I find once you get much over 2000 RPM the adjustment ring tends to slip, and you end up with shorter brass.

i do about 4 seconds of spin time per case on thin necked brass, and closer to 6 on thicker neck brass (LC 7.62 for example) to get a good consistent trim, chamfer and deburr.

hth!

Back