Whoops. Magnum primers for non-magnum loads.

bjc4200

Loading 22-250 cases with 37.8 grains of H380 and Hornady 55gr SP bullets. Accidentally used Winchester Large Rifle for Magnum primers. The book shows load options of: 35.0, 36.4, 37.8, 39.2 and max of 40.6. I used the middle of 37.8. Do I need to pull apart 200 rounds and start over with non-magnum primers?

Also doubt it with middle-of-the-road loads.

Got a chronograph? Take a couple rounds out and shoot them.
See how much faster they may be than 3400fps. Check primers for
high pressure. How flattened are they? I'm thinking they won't
be bad at all. Who knows--this may become your favorite load!

A lot of my reloading manuels suggest magnum primers for ball powders like H-380.

When I lived in NW MN I loaded everything except the Hornet with magnum primers. On more than one occasion when it was in -30-40 range I've heard click-boom with standard primers, with mag primers never.

I won’t comment on whether the load is safe or not, but I will say I use a mag primer in every load I have except one specific 223 load.

Originally Posted By: CZ527I won’t comment on whether the load is safe or not, but I will say I use a mag primer in every load I have except one specific 223 load.

Is there a reason you prefer mag primers? Curious.

Originally Posted By: CZ527I won’t comment on whether the load is safe or not, but I will say I use a mag primer in every load I have except one specific 223 load.

Same here. Magnum primers work better in cold weather and with all ball powders. I like load density, for a host of reasons. The more dense the load, the better I like mag primers.

Magnum primers just have a longer burning flame. They are not hotter.
A maximum load with standard primers, then switched to magnum could, in some instance, cause pressure sign, but I start all work ups with mag primers. Pressure sign is then pressure sign.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: CZ527I won’t comment on whether the load is safe or not, but I will say I use a mag primer in every load I have except one specific 223 load.

Is there a reason you prefer mag primers? Curious.

When I first starting loading they tested better in almost everything so I just started using them from the get go.

I've reloaded 22=250 with H380 and Mag primers for 35 years with no problem or pressure signs. That load is very safe,I've loaded all the way to 41 grains with no problems. Shoot them with confidence.

Originally Posted By: bjc4200Loading 22-250 cases with 37.8 grains of H380 and Hornady 55gr SP bullets. Accidentally used Winchester Large Rifle for Magnum primers. The book shows load options of: 35.0, 36.4, 37.8, 39.2 and max of 40.6. I used the middle of 37.8. Do I need to pull apart 200 rounds and start over with non-magnum primers?

have you done an actual load development for this combination?

or are you just randomly pulling some data out of a book and throwing a load togther?

^^ what he said.

how much experience do you have as a reloader, specifically related to bottleneck rifle cartridges?

[edit] i'm not asking this to poke fun at you in any way, and i dont think PD is either. just the way you're describing things and the questions you're asking lead me to beleive that you're a relative novice to the reloading game, and i'd like to help get you on the right track if thats the case.

however before i spend the effort at some serious keyboard time, some info on your level of expierence in general will be helpful.

Last edited:
In past decades it wasn’t all that uncommon just to pick the book hunting load and cook up some “reloads” just to save money.

“Handloaders” like us can’t take the thought of that.

You're using a mid range load with a powder that I would use a mag primer for anyways. Shoot them, they will be fine.

Back