My Coyote Killer! -- 12 Ga/.222 Rem "Combination Gun"

Old No7

OK, I know some folks think these guns are a solution looking for a problem...

For survival or subsistence hunting, sure, an accurate .410/20 over a .22/.22 Mag would probably be a really good combination to have, but these combo guns aren't too popular overall -- over here, that is, as opposed to all the double-rifles and drillings used across the pond. One reason why they're not very popular here may be they're really not known for accuracy from both bores, as on the cheaper ones with fixed rifle-to-shotgun barrels, it's tough to get both to hit to the same point of aim. "Not even close" is what I've seen to date. Until now, that is...

Since I sometimes will carry both a 12 ga shotgun along when hunting for fox or coyotes, as well as my .222 Rem (Mdl 700), it does add to the carry load -- especially when there's deep snow and I'm pushing through unbroken terrain in snowshoes to reach my stands. Plus carrying a pack with survival and fur skinning gear, and some snacks and the FoxPro electronic call and remote. So I've often thought that a neat -- but accurate -- combination gun would be something to get. And I got finally got one that passes the grade.

This is the "American Arms RS" (rifle/shotgun) 12ga/.222 Remington combination gun made in Italy by Marocchi using many of the Finn-designed "Valmet 412" features (except mine has a double trigger) and I've also read that it was made on the same Finnish tooling as used for Valmet's or Tikka's combination guns that was eventually moved southeast to Italy. It has 26" barrels, a brass bead out front with a flip-up rear blade, a screw-in choke for the shotgun (mine is choked Full+) , and it's 43" OAL with a Monte Carlo walnut stock with what looks like impressed skip-checkering, QD swivel studs and an automatic safety. Overall, it looks pretty nice and handles very well, and the lockup of the Greener crossbolt is very secure. But notice how thin that lower rifle barrel is... (Then again, I won't be shooting 5- or 10-shot groups with it either.)

tjthux2.jpg

The rifle barrel is fixed to the solid breech, of course, and there's just a tiny bit of play at the muzzle end; but that's a design feature so it floats a little to allow for elevation changes (just like how a 1911 barrel can tilt in a barrel bushing). The slide located under the shotgun barrel flexes the middle of the rifle barrel down or up slightly -- thus bowing it -- and with the rear fixed at the breech, the front floats just enough to allow the barrel to throw the shot up or down. Somehow it all works, as I was able to move the elevation (-4") on the first try today, and then back +1.5" to where I needed it to be. There are no witness marks (yet, although I may add some) but once she's dialed-in, I don't expect to touch the adjustments screws at all.

KB1bAHA.jpg

At the muzzle, there are these witness marks so you can slightly flex the front of the bore (remember, we're talking 1,000th's of an inch movement for any adjustments) to correct for the windage. One could adjust the rear sight in its dovetail too, but since the shotgun barrel is fairly heavy and fixed, I fired it first and found it right-on with the windage, but low without the rear sight being used. Raising the rear blade put my shot load right on target at 30 yards, so the rifle bore needs to be tweaked to make it align with the rear blade. The factory's witness marks were right-on when I started, but the shots were to the right, so I moved the lower barrel just a tad to the left (as you're moving the bullet -- not the front sight) and it's pretty close now. But I'll do some more testing before I call it done.

2irk3il.jpg

Here's a load of #4 buckshot at 30 yards, using the rear blade sight to get the elevation I needed. Yup, I think this will take a coyote out to maybe 40 yards or more, but I'll have to test it at those ranges to be sure. (After all, it was windy and a balmy 22 degrees over at the range this morning, so I didn't test everything...)

GZgrfon.jpg

And here's a 3-shot group at 50 yards with the .222 Rem barrel, with 2 shots touching. Given the c-c-c-cold temps and that I'd already been on the firing line for 1.5 hours shooting some other stuff -- and this was shot with coarse iron sights -- I was pretty pleased with it. Also remember that as a break-open action, I had to move it off the rest to unload & load and setup for the next shot each time. Given those conditions and the sights, this group exceeded my expectations, and I'll test it next at 75 and 100 yards to fine-tune it. By proving the ability for me to adjust and dial-in the rifle's bore to match the same sight setting as the shotgun, I was very pleased overall.

bIP9ESu.jpg

One thing I'll have to get used to is that the "close" shot (shotgun) is the rear trigger on this gun, while the far shot (rifle) is the front (which breaks clean right at 4#) -- and this is totally opposite how I've setup my side-by-side 20 ga Dickinson Estate for clays or hunting. I'll have to remember this gun's model is "RS" for rifle-shotgun, so the rifle fires first (front trigger, that is...)

I haven't bloodied it yet, but I'm really thinking that with the patterns and groups it shot today -- in some very tough conditions -- it should do really well in the thick woods here in Maine when out hunting for fur. I can think of many places where the shotgun would work great for a close shot, but there are multiple open lanes where a rifle shot would be possible -- now I have the choice by only moving a finger, not by changing guns.

It will get used for fox, bobcat or coyotes, but I'm now calling this my "Coyote Killer" which seems to be appropriate.

Anyone else have any experiences with these combination guns?

Old No7

Last edited:
OH YAH!! Welcome aboard enlightened one. Nice rig.

Does this look familiar?

This one easily shot sub-MOA 5 shot groups at 100 yards with the scope on it. I sold this one a couple years ago and it is still killing coyotes and turkeys.

With most O/U the front trigger will fire the bottom barrel first.

This one has a set of O/U 12ga shotgun barrels and the rifle/ shotgun combo. 12ga/22 Savage Highpower(for you young guys 30-30 necked to .228 also known as the 5.6x52R in Europe) as scoped has shot sub-MOA 3 shot groups at 300 yards. This one has the rifle barrel on the top, the first coyote I shot at with it I dusted the coyote at 80 yards with a load of BB's, I forgot the rear trigger is the rifle on this one. BRNO 201/305

It does the job, I run a pretty light load of shot in my combo guns 1 1/4oz NP BB's as I don't have to stretch the shotgun as I have the rifle instantly availible for anything over 40 yards. Most of the cootes killed with my combo guns have been with the shotgun barrel.

I have a few more combos and drillings(3 barrels) and all are accurate.

If you ever want to run a scope on that one they make little adaptors that fit in Weaver style ring to clamp to the thin dovetail rib on yout AA. Here's the link, you can get them on e-bay for about half this price. I use them with burris low tactical rings with a heavy duty clamp.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/UTG_11mm_3_8_Dovetail_to_Weaver_Adapter_2pcs/4148

On the AA shown I have Leupold 11mm rings but with the shotgun recoil would move the rings and I had to have three rings on it. The adaptors work better and you can mount the scope lower.

Last edited:
Love my combo guns. I too have a BRNO. Mine is a 584 model in 12ga and 7x65r. I'm going to turn it Into a coyote gun too once I find the brass to reload for it. I. Brought back a couple of rifles from Germany. And love them all

Nice set ups......

Its a shame we dont get to see the really good European stuff in these combo guns over here. There are some really fine and accurate models on the market. They can be a bit pricey however.

I have a couple of those Marrochi's too, and a Tikka, all in 222/12, and an Italian FIAS too that was converted from 12/12 to 22 Hornet/12 ga w/ a Polychoke. I think that they're better for most situations than just a rifle or just a shotty, or carrying both in two guns - JMHO, None of mine have interchangeable chokes like your's [beeep] - that's a sweet addition! Those Marrochi's are not right like the Valmet 412's, but Marrochi is now producing the 512 system which is what the Valmet 412's were updated. Lotsa options with them, even stainless! Saw where one guy ordered one in 17 Rem/ 12 ga 3 1/2"! Thanx for sharing!

DB, I can't say for sure, as I don't know what the top rib looks like on your combo. Some of the early Valmets used Sako rings. A couple of 412's I looked at propriety mounting system with a very short mounting area that uses a cantilevered mount. Ring sets for the cantilevered mounting system come up on ebay often.

If you have a machinist friend here is a link to a thread about building your own 412 mount including drawings(pdf form halfway through the thread) for both a permanent rings set using Leupold QR rings and with a Weaver/Picatany rail.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/122-drillin...ount-plans.html

They say necessity is the mother of invention, I've taken a file and widened 22 rings to fit larger ribs, used the little adaptors. I even carved a set of German claw mount rings out of a set of Weaver Grand Slam X-tra High rings with a hacksaw and files(long tedious job but they work).

Home made claw mount rings.

And they work well, The target is the first group with th new ring set at 100 yards. There is a little slide lock on the rear mount that you pull back and remove the scope to hunt with the shotgun barrels for bird or rabbits and just snap the scope back in for longer range with the scope. There is also a set of open sights that pop up when you selct the rifle barrel. The barrels are pretty closely regulated with slugs in the shotgun barrels.

Last edited:
I have a 12ga over 30-06 with double triggers that I frequently pack with me on my adventures. Capable of taking any game bird or beast in North America!

AWS:

So, the Sauer is a 12x12 and 7x57R on the bottom ? What does it weigh ?

I have friends that have bought Drilling's over here and found suitable scope claw and ring mounts back in Germany at reasonable prices.

Actually it is a 16/16/7x57R, to me the 12's get very clubby feeling the sixteens handle more like a nice bird gun. An ounce of NP BB's have proven to be quite effective on coyotes out to 40 yards. All my drillings weigh right around 7 lbs.

This is my goto drilling for coyote hunting. 1926 Suhl made Drilling in 6.5x58R Sauer/16gax16ga with 2 1/2" chambers and with an ounce of NP BB's just deadly on coyotes under 40 yards and the rifle will shoot sub MOA three shot groups to 200 yards, beyond that drop becomes a problem as it is equivolent to a 25-35 Win. The bore on this is a bastard .260 and will shoot .257 bullets very accurately but I prefer to size down .264's to .260 to protect the barrel and is very accurate with 90gr TNT's sized down.

Yes you can find Savage 24's and 2400's in 223/20ga and 223/12ga

The Sav 24's do not lend themselves to scope uses as the scope has to be mounted so high to be able to cock the hammer and select the barrel as the selector is on the nose of the hammer. Again the 2400's have a hammer but the selector is on the off side of the reciever from your hand. There are a lot of nice used Euro made combos with two triggers(instant selection of barrel) and just a safety on the the tang(nothing to cock). I believe the Valmet 412 has a single trigger and the selector is a button in the web of the trigger, pretty quick selection of rifle or shotgun. Almost all of the Euro guns a very well regulated or have adjustable regulation. That cant be said for the Savage 24's.

Continued.

Last edited:
This is my old Savage 24V 223/20ga long down the road.

There are plenty of combo guns getting imported to the US now from Europe. Most of the affordable combos will be in 222 Rem/12ga, a number in 22 Savage Highpower and a number of Biakals in common US calibers. Drillings can be quite affordable in 16ga and Euro calibers, once you get into 12ga and and US callibers the prices can get up there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AWS This is my old Savage 24V 223/20ga long down the road.

There are plenty of combo guns getting imported to the US now from Europe. Most of the affordable combos will be in 222 Rem/12ga, a number in 22 Savage Highpower and a number of Biakals in common US calibers. Drillings can be quite affordable in 16ga and Euro calibers, once you get into 12ga and and US callibers the prices can get up there. Well I am going to look , I want one, don't really need a scope on it, it's would be a tractor, truck, 4-wheeler gun, to harsh of an environment for a scope.

Well, this post got many more responses than I'd expected -- thanks to all.

I am really eager to get this gun out into the woods here -- but it was (-20) out at oh-dark-thirty this morning -- I've hunted at zero before, but luckily I had another commitment and didn't get to go out. It's just a matter of time though...

Originally Posted By: AWSOH YAH!! Welcome aboard enlightened one. Nice rig.

With most O/U the front trigger will fire the bottom barrel first.
Thanks for the welcome. About the triggers, I don't have any experience with double-triggers on O/Us so I must have had side-by-sides on the brain; and yes, with a single-trigger selector on an O/U, I'd shoot the lower barrel first for most shots.

Originally Posted By: AWSIf you ever want to run a scope on that one they make little adaptors that fit in Weaver style ring to clamp to the thin dovetail rib on yout AA. Here's the link, you can get them on e-bay for about half this price. I use them with burris low tactical rings with a heavy duty clamp.

The adaptors work better and you can mount the scope lower.
Thanks for that info! I will be looking into those and will likely add a low-power scope (1-4X or 1.5-5X) on it. Having the ability to adjust and dial-in the rifle's bore to align with the shotgun sure will be helpful, and was a key reason I decided to get this one.

Some day, I hope to post some FUR taken with this combo gun!

Would be great to get a "combo" of fox, bobcat or coyote with 2 shots too -- heck, it'd be great to bag even one -- but I can dream, can't I?

Old No7

Get your drool rags handy!!!

Check out this unique 3-Barrel Shotgun/Rifle with a .22 Hornet hidden in the top rib (click for link)

And for those who don't want to click the link, here's a preview...

Wow, simply stunning!

But I think I'd need to sell my boat to get it.............

Edit to add: I just learned this variant of a Drilling (3 bores) is called a "Schienendrilling", Two shotgun barrels with a small-caliber rifle barrel built into the rib.

Old No7

kiyYZ3a.jpg

73yrkLH.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of doubles and wish I could get my hands on a few more. I have a Savage and Baikal in 12/223. I love it when everyone trashes the Savage 24's because the barrels aren't regulated to hit same POI. It's actually quite a simple fix. I devised a machined part which allows regulation to be tweeked and it absolutely works without any problems (similar to the one on the Baikal). I've put this on mine, my friends and my uncle's and so far, so good. Combine this with an Indian Creek screw in choke and it is one devastating turkey/predator setup. We jokingly refer to these as the most expensive $300 guns around because we end up with about 4 times that much in them after all the mods and quality optics. I prefer the Sav over the Baikal because the rifle is ON TOP and you have a selector switch instead of 2 triggers. That being said, the Baikal is a 3-shot nickel size grouper at 100 every time! For all those Savage haters, send them my way as I have a few friends currently searching for one of their own.

Can I ask why you like the rifle barrel on the top?

I'm not a Savage hater, I've owned a couple but to me they are slow, awkward and poorly designed but I have to have a scope on a rifle as I can no longer see open sights.

How about some picture of your barrel regulation device, I'm interested in it.

Last edited:
I do prefer the double triggers on my O/u's, just as with my sxs's, as I can instantly select which bbl. I want w/ one finger - no complex motor skills or thoughts needed. My Tikka takes more thought w/ having to switch to and extend my thumb, to flip the switch. JMHO, and different strokes...... The Marrochi's and the FIAS are all built on shotgun frames, and handle more like a shotty - pointing more instinctively, even while seated. But the Tikka isn't bad, and is accurate!

Last edited:
Back