Can you imagine owning a Turkish made AR-15?

hoosierdaddy

Would you ever buy one? What if it was $400 for a factory rifle? What if it were a "name" brand? What is you just found out that Sarsilmaz of Turkey was going to build your new $1000 Colt's rifle?

Source

Turkey And USA To Cooperate In Rifle Manufacture
Published:
9/23/2005

ISTANBUL - Turkish weapon manufacture firm ``Sarsilmaz`` will cooperate with U.S. giant firm ``Colt Defense`` in rifle production.

Under an agreement to be signed soon, Colt Defense`s products will be manufactured outside North America for the first time, and be exported to other countries via Turkey.

Latif Aral Alis, the Chairman of Executive Board of Sarsilmaz firm, and James R. Battaglini, an executive of the Colt Defense LLC, will hold a press conference regarding this cooperation on Monday (September 26th).

If it's not a Colt, it's a copy...albeit an American made copy...

Yeah I can.
Do you ever hear people talk about their CZs or their Tikas?
They are not made here either. I like Turks and their country, more power to them if they beat the Chinese at getting a contract.
harvey7

Quote:
Yeah I can.
Do you ever hear people talk about their CZs or their Tikas?
They are not made here either. I like Turks and their country, more power to them if they beat the Chinese at getting a contract.
harvey7

Ceska Zbrojovka a.s. Uhersky Brod, (CZUB) Czech Republic was established in 1936 in the small Moravian town of Uhersky Brod in the then Czechoslovakia.

Tikka rifles are designed and made at Sako Ltd´s rifle factory in Riihimäki, Finland. Before 1988 Tikka rifles were manufactured in Tikkakoski rifle factory in the Central Finland.

Not exactly Turkey. I have seen Sarsilmaz shotguns. They are on par with Boika and Spartan.

Funny thing is I've heard of several countries making the AR or M16 under contract but not for use in the US, oh wait it says in your article that these Turkish guns won't be made for the US either. I guess I don't get your point, surely you don't beleive Colt would get Turkish labor when Chinese labor is cheaper and has tax benefits. Or are you just trying to flame Colt again?

And yes, Colt bought the patten rights and then perfected the AR-15 so if it ain't a Colt it's just a copy but who cares?

Edited to add: Colt defense is the law enforcement/military division, you know the ones that are way under $1000.00 and we aren't supposed to have? but then you already knew that didn't you.

Last edited:
I have a Charles Daly auto shotgun, and it was made in Turkey. I have used this shotgun for ducks and geese with light to heavy, and I mean heavy loads, without a problem.

I have seen other Turkish made side by sides that were some fine looking guns too. Wish I had had the money to buy one of them when I saw them.

Whats your point? Nothing is made in America anymore is it?

I am a Machinist and I use a Siemens lathe that was made in India, every day, and it is still going strong when the damn American made (Cadillac) lathe is always on the fritz.

Whats your point here? Are you saying the quality is going to be bad?

I had to carry one a the damn Colt made AR's in Viet-Nam and it damn near got me killed. I don't care if they make them on Mars. I wouldn't have one if it was made in America, and someone wanted to give it to me for free!

My two cents worth!

The brand name is not much of an indicator of where something was made.

When I was in the earth moving business, I bought a Komatsu dozer that was made in Belgium and a Caterpillar dozer that was made in Japan.(I know they are properly called tractors, but most people not in the business call them dozers. If I said tractors many people would think of farm tractors or tractors that pull trailers down the interstate.)

Jack

Quote:

Not exactly Turkey. I have seen Sarsilmaz shotguns. They are on par with Boika and Spartan.

Is this a good thing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I've been looking at the Spartans,as I'd like to get a combo .223/12ga.Not too many choices I don't think?Spartan?Baikal?Savage? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I have used Colt AR's all of my shooting life and have never had a problem with them. Hunting, Target, and Match Competition's with big money on the line. I could have used any rifle in the world but Colt was the choice.

I have AR's from all the Mfg'ers and like them. However, when I compare any/all of them side by side with my Colt's there is a difference and the Colt is better in finish,appearance,fit, and quality of product. They don't offer all the bell's and whistle's like the other guys (they are truly stupid!) but I have never had a problem with any of them. This is not to say that I think all the others are not good products. For what Colt sells, I think they are the best product in the AR field.

it seems as though we will be seeing quite a few guns coming from turkey in the near future. The new kimber o/u shotguns for instance or the hugu's the new CZ side by side and o/u's are all turkey. From what I read on it, turkey is replacing italy for much of the import business. The labor cost is very low and there are many shops around that have been making handmade guns for years. Evidently some of our companies are going over there, showing them how modern machinery works and the turks are grabbing on well.

Quote:
I have a Charles Daly auto shotgun, and it was made in Turkey. I have used this shotgun for ducks and geese with light to heavy, and I mean heavy loads, without a problem.

Mine had a problem.

Charles Daly

Others have similar reports too...

Other than Charles Daly, I'd own a Turkish rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm not nocking Colt's or the Turkish manufacturers. (Well, I can't get over that Sarsilmaz shotgun. It was pretty bad.)

However, I've read threads here at PM about buying American oil or not buying something because they do or did this or that. Colt's management/administration and share holders have made a decision to outsource production. This is going to negatively effect the manufacturing jobs that have until now been held by American workers in Hartford, CT. Would everyone be so accomodating if Ruger and Remington moved even a percentage of their manufacturing jobs over seas? Maybe we've reached the next plateau in globalism???

Just remember the American machinists, laborors and milrights when you support a company that cuts production in the states. Once all of the manufacturing jobs have gone the way of 3rd world countries what is the future going to hold for Americans? I know Colt's is just the continuation of the cycle. However, it has to stop or we simply will not have any manufacturing capability left in the US. How do we compete in the free market then? How much power do we give the rest of the world over us?

Sorry, I just don't get it and I ain't drinking the cool-aide.

It is the law of supply and demand in work here. I try to buy American as much as I can, but if a foreign made product is less expensive and come with equal or better quality I have no choice but going with it. I learned a bitter lesson with the damn Dodge 1500 and after I get rid of it next vehicles from here on will be Toyota. Same to go with guns or any other products. Just hope that the consumers affinity for competitive foreign products will drive American manufacturers to better achievements in quality control and R&D than just pure bs sales talk.

Quote:
I'm not nocking Colt's or the Turkish manufacturers. (Well, I can't get over that Sarsilmaz shotgun. It was pretty bad.)

You compared Sars to Spartan,does that mean Spartans are junk as well? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rick, I may be totaly wrong but I read it to say Colt is expanding with a new plant in Turkey to export to other countries, I don't see where it says they'll close the plant down here. With Colt being owned by the state, why would they throw away all that tax money?

Most of my industry has gone to China or Mexico and it has backfired on more than one company, the jobs aren't coming back yet but the failure has stopped any more from going south or east at least for the present. I hope I'm right and it just ain't so with Colt.

My company (HONEY bee + WELL fare) is in love with the idea of outsourcing and globalization.

I may make $50,000 per year, but a person in the Czech Rep is making $7,500 per year for the SAME JOB.

I KNOW THIS.

Tom, I may be reading into the article but my take is that this is the first time Colt's has produced rifles outside of their Hartford facility (well at least outside the states). Therefore, the weapons that will be made in Turkey will reduce the number of weapons made in the US. Reducing production will lead to less jobs. I'm in the belief that Colt's has had market share abroad so I don't think they will be opening up a new market by manufacturing in Turkey.

Quote:
Under an agreement to be signed soon, Colt Defense`s products will be manufactured outside North America for the first time...

Like I said, I may be reading to much into this. But, I read it that these rifles are currently being produced in the states, even if they are being exported. I may be wrong, but I already was twice today and that's my quota.

Quote:
With Colt being owned by the state, why would they throw away all that tax money?

I thought owner of Colt was Donald Zilkha, an investment banker who bought Colt in 1994.

Colt's Owner

Quote:
Quote:
With Colt being owned by the state, why would they throw away all that tax money?

I thought owner of Colt was Donald Zilkha, an investment banker who bought Colt in 1994.

Colt's Owner

I don't know, from their website the history of Colt shows in 1990 a coalition of investors, the state of Conecticut and union employees purchased the company. In 1992 the company entered chapter 11 but in 1994 a new gov. contract bailed them out. No mention of Donald Zilkha but anything is possible.

Back