Primers

I dont think that matters as much as what they are stored in as long as they are kept in a cool dry place. I have on my shelves some CCI primers that are over 40 years old and the last time I tried them a few months ago they still shot fine.

An ammo can is probably a good place to store them though.

I have stored primers in my basement for 20yrs and never had a problem. Not saying that's the best place but just telling you cause it's prob not as critical as thought. Nothing wrong with the ammo can idea though.

glad to help
smile.gif

fwiw - in your gun safe, pour some in an old sock - not your holy churchin socks!
lol.gif
- tie it up and toss it on a shelf or on the floor. cheap disposable humidity control.

Originally Posted By: RustydustI dont think that matters as much as what they are stored in as long as they are kept in a cool dry place. I have on my shelves some CCI primers that are over 40 years old and the last time I tried them a few months ago they still shot fine.

An ammo can is probably a good place to store them though.

^^^^^^^^^this

Quote:if you want to make up some cheap homemade desiccant packs for your ammo cans for storage - stop at the pet store and get some kitty litter, the new fancy stuff is silica based, just like you put into your gunsafe

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/default-product-name-2541353

link to show an example of the type you're looking for.

load some up in a small cloth bag and you're set

http://a.co/1eG4gub

I have a goldenrod in my safe but recent flooding in Houston got me to thinking about a way to protect guns in event of flood. I think I'd duct tape the door and use desiccant.

Just wondering, Plant, how do you tell when kitty litter is saturated and needs replacing?

Regards,
hm

there's no way to tell. i just replace mine in the safe quarterly and be done with it.

i got an 8lb bag of the stuff for under $15. and its probably enough to last me for 3-5 years throwing away a sock of the stuff a few times a year. I gave over a quart to my cousin for his safe, have a good size sock in mine right now and still have somewhere around 1.5 gallons of the stuff left that i havent used yet.

and the land of mismatched socks is the gift that just keeps on giving
smile.gif

as for the ammo cans, unless you're in and out of them all the time, a small bag with a few tablespoons of this in them should be good for quite a while - and if not, this stuff is so cheap, who cares.

I'm not concerned w/my primers stored in water proof ammo cans as I've been using this method for 60+ years w/o any issues. (Although, should flooding occur wouldn't hurt to add the KL to take care of any condensation.)

So long as I have power the goldenrod works for the safe, but will probably keep some kitty litter on hand during hurricane season. Thanks!

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996I'm not concerned w/my primers stored in water proof ammo cans as I've been using this method for 60+ years w/o any issues. (Although, should flooding occur wouldn't hurt to add the KL to take care of any condensation.)

So long as I have power the goldenrod works for the safe, but will probably keep some kitty litter on hand during hurricane season. Thanks!

Regards,
hm

you can also use it to keep frost down on car windows when it gets cold in the winter (if you're far enough north to deal with that more than 3 days of the year lol)

throw one under the seat, and it'll keep the humidity down in the car from boot melt and such
smile.gif

we used to do that with a big old bag of old school clay kitty litter, and as an added bonus - if you get stuck its great traction in the snow too!

Back