8x57 help

HardwickN

Ok. So I'm reloading for an 8x57js. My questions are what weight of bullet should I run. I'm going to be using this for elk and mule deer maybe an antelope. I know I would like to use Barnes ttsx or tsx. The ttsx come in 160gr the tsx are either 180 or 200. So what would be best from yells experience?

Second question. I found some mouser rounds one of my dad's friends loaded for him probably 20 years ago. It's got crimped primers. Would it be safe to just pull the bullets and powder and reload new? Or best to just toss it all?

My dad bagged a mule deer and a moose with his 8mm, many years ago.
The best I can recollect he used 180 gn core lokt factory ammo, now obsolete.
Closest modern projectile to that looks like a Sierra Pro-Hunter 175 gn, fwiw..
Without exact info on the other guys handloads, I wouldn't touch them.

I would start with new brass rather than the reloads. If the primers are crimped it sounds like he reloaded pull down military brass and there is a good chance it might have corrosive primers. I also wouldn't try and reuse the brass as there is a good chance it has Berdan primers(no center flash hole) in it will bend your depriming pin.

S&B Grom ammo is an expanding monometal bullet like the Barnes. The heavier bullets in PPV and S&B should work great and they are loaded to Euro specs a lot hotter than US ammo. US ammo companies have loaded 8x57 ammo to levels that won't wreck a rifle if .323 bullets are fired in older .318 bores. The S&B and PPV ammo has proved to be good ammo in the guns I've shot them in, 5.6x50R Mag, 5.6x52R, 7x57R and 9.3x72R

AWS I have to ask. We're do you find your 5.6x50r? I'm looking at having to reload for all my German rifles because no one can get the ammo where I'm at.

When I first bought my 5.6x50R I bought 2 boxes of S&B ammo and a bunch of RWS brass from Huntingtons and have reloaded everything since. The company was out east somewhere and I had to send them a photo copy of my DL to order. You might want to just get a hold of S&B and see who they are shipping to in the states. That's what I had to do to get my 2 1/2" 16ga Brenneke slugs to fit my old drillings.

C&H4d is a great place to buy dies for you metric cartridges, very good die sets at nearly half the cost of the Big 4 American die makers for the oddballs. My 6.5x58R Sauer and 9.3x72R are C&H dies my 5.6x50R dies are Hornady that were on a inventory reduction sale at a big discount.

Back