Best bobcat bullet for 22-250?

OKRattler

I rarely take my .223 out much for coyotes now that I have a 22-250. I've seen what Winchester Varmint X Polymer Tips will do to a bobcat and it's not pretty. All I've shot is coyotes with it and I really like the Sierra 55gr. HP but that's shooting coyotes. I don't know what one would do to a bobcat but if I'm calling coyotes and a bobcat shows up I really don't want to give it a pass. I know a lot has to do with shot placement so,so far my plan has been just to head shoot bobcats if they show up. If I take a little off the top that shouldn't depreciate the value of the pelt.

Last edited:
Of you have a 1in14 twist you should be able to get away with Hornady spsx bullets. They are super explosive very rarely ever exit. They are actually designed for lower velocity rounds but you can shoot them fast from a slow twist rifle. Spin them too fast and they just spin themselves apart into a puff of smoke. Got a hunting partner that runs them in a 220 swift and he kills and keeps quite a few bobcat.

The only one I've seen hit with a 22-250 was actually hit with two bullets at the same time. My buddies saw it step out and shot simultaneously. Lets just say it didn't go very far....they were on the ball that day.

I shoot 50gr. Superformance,several 55 grain bullets and Hornady 52gr BTHP. Hornady 52gr. has always been my go to bullet in .223 so I figured they may do alright in the 22-250. I smoked a coyote from 75 yards straight in the neck with a 55 grain Sierra HP not too long ago. The bullet never came out surprisingly. Looked like he had been rolling around in the dirt for days. Y'all should have seen the dust fly off him when that bullet hit him. Killed him and cleaned his fur off at the same time.lol

Straight on hit to the chest like CZ suggested would probably be my best bet with any bullet. Broadside shots might get a little messy on cats.

Last edited:
Reason I went back to 223. Slower isn’t a bad thing. I shoot a recurve at 180fps, my deer fell within 40 yards this year. I need a bit more elevation adjustment but out to 400-450 I know I can kill a coyote or cat with the 223.

Now to see how 223 and cougar does as my neighbor has one on the trail cam stealing chickens!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FairChase93Of you have a 1in14 twist you should be able to get away with Hornady spsx bullets. They are super explosive very rarely ever exit. They are actually designed for lower velocity rounds but you can shoot them fast from a slow twist rifle. Spin them too fast and they just spin themselves apart into a puff of smoke. Got a hunting partner that runs them in a 220 swift and he kills and keeps quite a few bobcat.
Mine is a 1:12 twist.

Originally Posted By: Forest GhostReason I went back to 223. Slower isn’t a bad thing. I shoot a recurve at 180fps, my deer fell within 40 yards this year. I need a bit more elevation adjustment but out to 400-450 I know I can kill a coyote or cat with the 223.

Now to see how 223 and cougar does as my neighbor has one on the trail cam stealing chickens! I've always liked the .223 for bobcats. Never have lost one or tore one up with it. Only had one exit with Hornady 52 grain BTHP.

Good luck on your mountain lion. I believe I'd have to bump it up to .243 for a big kitty.

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerOriginally Posted By: FairChase93Of you have a 1in14 twist you should be able to get away with Hornady spsx bullets. They are super explosive very rarely ever exit. They are actually designed for lower velocity rounds but you can shoot them fast from a slow twist rifle. Spin them too fast and they just spin themselves apart into a puff of smoke. Got a hunting partner that runs them in a 220 swift and he kills and keeps quite a few bobcat.
Mine is a 1:12 twist.

Yeah I probably wouldn't bother with th spsx then unless you download it to 223 speeds and then what's the point?

Cats are real thin skinned and all muscle, and yep, a 250 is a lot of horsepower for one...but if you want to use it, the bullet I mentioned is pretty good. Ive shot probably 65-75 cats with that bullet out of various 22-250's, going around 3650 fps, close and far, and, yes, messed up a couple pretty good, but on average I did well. Nowdays, its mostly shotgun when targeting cats, but if I call one up with the 250 in hand, and I want it, Ill take it.
Mark

Hey Ghost, I shot one this year as well with my ol Bob Lee recurve. Stinger 2 blade zipped thru, ran 30 yards-ish and dead.
Mark

I'll have to get me some Speer 52gr. Hollowpoints. I like testing a variety of bullets out. Might even look into getting some Hornady SPXS for my .223 just to try them out. I really like that 22-250 for coyotes so it'd be nice if I could find a bullet that'd smoke a bobcat and I wouldn't have to find pieces of it afterwards.

I've shot 5 bobcats with the Barnes tsx bullet, 4 of them broadside and 1 from the front in the chest, one from 40 yards and the rest from about 60-80yards. The broadside shots exited with the hole being about the size of a quarter (farther shot) to half dollar (40 yard shot). The chest shot was around 70 yards and no exit wound, They all dropped right where they were shot. This was out of a savage 22-250.

I like "what bullet" threads cause they keep going.
I would try a hunting type bullet an that might include the TSX and even a PSP.
I have not shot a bobcat with these but have seen several shot with a .22-250 and .243 hunting bullets. Both calibers with frontal shots.
Almost any broadside shot seems prone to damage.
The new Nosler all copper projectiles have had my interest lately for coyotes too.

22-250 55 grain varmeggedon or however you spell it. I picked up some coyotes tonight that a guy shot with that stuff and holy moly. Entrance holes and immediate explosion. Shallow but he said he only had 1 coyote run off from a bad shot, seems it’d be good on a cat. Merry Christmas!

Back