Just a Bit of Random coyote talk..

Newfboy

Hello fellows ..just started a topic for a bit of random talk ..I have not did much Coyote hunting as of the last year ..financial difficulties ..I recently had to sell my Axis 22-250 and all of its accessories for a short lived $400 ..The only thing i kept was my Foxpro call and my foxpro decoy.
I would like to say I have never been a hunter who follows the norm when hunting. If somebody says "You Can't do This ..or Shouldn't do That"..I have pushed the envelope as they say..Not to far but i have pushed it..Used a Russian SKS 7.62.39mm for coyotes even tried a Moose with it ..Missed of course later found out i had play in my stock near the gas port which threw the sights off when i yanked the rifle from its soft carrying case.
With all that aside ..Now I am Stuck with the option of only using a Old Maverick 88 pump 12G and my old savage 22LR (I Have a 17HMR,SKS and 7mm Rem Mag) But those guns are not convenient Due to regulations ..The 17Hmr is Illegal to use because it came out after the rules for Rimfire rifles was set in place and legislation will not change it to recognize New calibers so our Rimfire category is strictly .22 Short, 22LR and 22 WSM..Which leads in the next part ..We have a Coyote Season and even have to have a Coyote license to hunt them. First i Should point out.

Coyote Season Runs from Opening day of Big Game Season which is usually Sept 9-13th and closes May 15th.The License is shared with Small Game and Costs under $15.
Under the Coyote Part of the license you must only use:
• centre-fire rifle calibres up to and including a
.225 (these include .17 Rem., .22 Hornet,
.204 Ruger, .218 Bee, .222 and .223 Rem.,
.223 WSSM, .22-250 Rem., .220 Swift, .224
Weatherby Mag. and .225 Win.)
• shotguns using shot size (#2 or larger). Rimfires and Shotgun Slugs are Not Permitted .Now..here is where it confuses many..

Small Game Season ..opens Sept 16th to march 11th for Grouse and snowshoe hare Shooting season opens Oct 14th to March 11th.
• Holders of a valid small game licence may also harvest coyotes during the open season for small game using a shotgun with
shot size #2 or larger or a .22 rimfire rifle.

Big Game Season Sept 9th opening and Closes December 31st (Spring Bear season : May 1 to July 15 and Fall Season Sept. 9 - Nov. 12).

Additional Opportunities to Harvest Coyotes
• Holders of a valid big game or wolf shooting licence may harvest coyotes during the open season for those species and in the management
area for which their licence is valid (licences become invalid when tags have been filled). Hunters must use firearms and
ammunition that the big game licence authorizes them to possess...

Very confusing to us at the time when they introduced the regulations ..The coyote being an invasive species and all..the first two Coyotes I called out were under my Bear license ..Had nothing to really use other then the Maverick 88 and an old $199 1950 Russian SKS.

I sure would like to to Use that SKS over a shotgun though kinda like it ..i am not shooting overly far out at my stands 150 yards at most seems to kill coyotes dead with some Hornady SST 123grain but..buying a big game license with its Price and short season length just to use a high power rifle to hunt coyotes seems kind of like a feeling of being handicap..I have searched forums everywhere for some sort of alternative. and I noticed some of the younger and beginner coyote hunters asking questions of "Can I use this or that?"..which is quickly responded with NO and Maybe and then referred to buy a .223 or 22-250 ..well in my opinion use what you have ..but practice with it find out its limitations, pick your shots if need be and fire only when you think the firearm can handle it. The main thing is to get out there and try ..then later on you could be in a better position to acquire that firearm like a .223, 22-250 ..etc..the main thing is to have fun but don't be reckless but most importantly get out there even if its with your .22LR up to your big game rifle..that's just my opinion ..so her take easy fellows and have a merry christmas and a happy new years!

Last edited:
Go with what you got and hunt accordingly
thumbup.gif

Only the government could come up with those coyote hunting regulations
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: LodgepoleGreat post Newf,keep at it with your SKS

Wish i could lodgepole ..its cheap, does the job ..somewhat, ammo is cheap $15 for 20 Hunting rounds ..it is barely on the limit for Big game which is 1500 foot pounds at the muzzle and the bullet is over 100 grains so the government classified it as a Big game rifle ..puts me in the category of needing a big game license to use it for coyote..its a crying shame really because I was starting to get the hang of using it you could almost tell where the bullet would hit simply by raising the crosshairs a little up or maybe left or right a tick depending on how well your SKS shoots ..88 yards I could hit a slim Gatorade bottle resting on a stick multiple times so i would most likely have to do some more shooting to get used to another 88 yards..i think 200 yards is getting pretty close to maxing out the guns accuracy ..but i don't really need much more as i am in a area that is pretty dense timber and brush with scattered open areas, bogs, ponds mostly.
What is the smallest caliber you have ever used on a coyote by the way and how did it perform?

Originally Posted By: SnowshoesGo with what you got and hunt accordingly
thumbup.gif

crazy.gif

Yes the regulations seem to have been written by someone who had more education then common sense lol..by the way snowshoes what was the smallest caliber you have used to kill a coyote and how did it perform?

I did not think i still had these photos from a target practice lol
88 yards to the truck leaning on the tailgate as my rest ..I am pretty sure the rifle can be MOC (Minute Of Coyote) I started off shooting larger targets till I had gotten used to the rifle then moved to smaller targets to get a basic Idea ..make no mistake though..this rifle is Crude clunky and heavy and it is not for everyone ..at the time it was all I had ..I intended to use it as a Caribou Gun when i first bought it $199 bucks was seemed like a good deal!

Gatorade bottle

Orange juice bottle

Originally Posted By: NewfboyOriginally Posted By: SnowshoesGo with what you got and hunt accordingly
thumbup.gif

crazy.gif

Yes the regulations seem to have been written by someone who had more education then common sense lol..by the way snowshoes what was the smallest caliber you have used to kill a coyote and how did it perform?

On a regular basis, it would have been the 17 Fireball. Tried both 25 & 30 gr. bullets over a a couple seasons which accounted for 75 (+\- a few) coyotes. A lot dropped like being hit by a freight train but lost quite a few also. If I were to jump back into a 17 cal., I would look at one were I could push the 30 gr. pills at a higher velocity like a 17 Rem. or one of the many 17 cal. wildcats out there.

cool ..i have heard of those are they rare? never seen one around at any of our shops or even some in alberta ..I guess its kinda like the .222 or the .22 Hornet very rare to find one around here. My dad used to tell me they were common way back in the day for Seal hunters only ..then when coyotes came on the scene and regulations had to change.

Last edited:
I bought the 17 Fireball in 2007 when Remington first introduced it.
Prior to that, I had been looking for a used 17 Rem. or building a rifle chambered in 17 Mach IV or 17-223.

When Remington came out with the 17 Fireball ( basically re-branded name for the 17 Mach IV) I jumped all over it.

I also liked the idea of that new .17 Hornet ..but when they announced the price of it..well swayed me the other way..for the price your better off saving for a Axis in .223, .22-250 or .204 ..if we didn't have silly regulations the .243 would be a nice rifle as well...actually I dont even think our regulations recognizes the .17 Hornet as a coyote gun ..

Last edited:
Pei has yag coyote regulations too. Ours is .22 centerfire and smaller too. Except ours doesn’t attempt to tell you which ones you can use. There would be over a hundred .22centerfire and smaller. Politician’s being advised by gov workers.

We cant use anything but .17 cal centerfire and smaller for fox which sucks. A trapper was to thanks for that. It’ll come back to haunt him when he loses trapping rights.

I shoot a 17-204 with 30 gr kindler golds and it’s a legitimate fox/coyote gun. Trying to get snowshoes to make one too so I can watch the Alberta magic on here.

Originally Posted By: Displayed NamePei has yag coyote regulations too. Ours is .22 centerfire and smaller too. Except ours doesn’t attempt to tell you which ones you can use. There would be over a hundred .22centerfire and smaller. Politician’s being advised by gov workers.

We cant use anything but .17 cal centerfire and smaller for fox which sucks. A trapper was to thanks for that. It’ll come back to haunt him when he loses trapping rights.

I shoot a 17-204 with 30 gr kindler golds and it’s a legitimate fox/coyote gun. Trying to get snowshoes to make one too so I can watch the Alberta magic on here.

I just took a look at the PEI regulations ..very interesting I could not find many hunting regulations on the coyote its self but i did notice one that our own regulations does not follow Disposal of a dead coyote ...first when our reg's were put in place there was a $45 incentive fee paid out to the hunter for turning a carcass into the Wildlife division for scientific study..the fur could be kept if you wanted it but i think it was not worth much so alot of people didnt bother skinning them. The Incentive fee was lowered a few years later to $25 dollars and then when the Liberal Government came into power it was cancelled completely and the scientists were laid off. Hunters who went to the Wildlife were told to do whatever you want with the carcass ..so most just dumped them.
So can you guys just use any rifle at anytime on coyotes over there or is there some restrictions?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Displayed NameI shoot a 17-204 with 30 gr kindler golds and it’s a legitimate fox/coyote gun. Trying to get snowshoes to make one too so I can watch the Alberta magic on here.

When/if the times comes for me to build a new rifle, I will likely be calling on you
smile.gif

We are supposed to use them for the fur trade. I give the ones I shoot to a local trapper. I don’t shoot enough anymore to expect any money back from him. We are not supposed to dump them but I don’t think you’d get in much trouble as long as you weren’t tasteless and leave them in a public spot.

We can use any cartridge .22cal and smaller. I have a .22-243win I’m allowed to use. Our season is oct.1 - march 31. Fox is nov1 to end of January.

Snowshoes- guy is up and running making kindler bullets so there will be a future for the big 17’s

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Displayed NameWe are supposed to use them for the fur trade. I give the ones I shoot to a local trapper. I don’t shoot enough anymore to expect any money back from him. We are not supposed to dump them but I don’t think you’d get in much trouble as long as you weren’t tasteless and leave them in a public spot.

We can use any cartridge .22cal and smaller. I have a .22-243win I’m allowed to use. Our season is oct.1 - march 31. Fox is nov1 to end of January.

Silverfox- guy is up and running making kindler bullets so there will be a future for the big 17’s

cool i kind of felt like i was reading trapper regs when i was looking through the guide. I have to say setting up for fox the same way you would for a coyote would be really neat.
Coyote over here right now is not really worth it because you might only shoot 1-2 coyotes a season if your lucky ..i guess there is just not enough of them yet. I asked a local trapper if he wanted any skins if i shot any and he declined because the fur was not really worth the effort especially if he had to sew up bullet holes the price would be lower..if i'm not mistaken i think he said the price varies anywhere from about 15 bucks up to one time he got 56 dollars for one ..must be the type of coyote we have. We hunt them to try and lower caribou and moose calve death rate..and it looks like we are losing the battle..anyways Some guys keep there kills and tan them out for trophy wall hangers ..but if they ever reach population levels where you can shoot 50-60 a season then maybe fur collection might actually pay off.
P.S I like those the idea of those .17 centerfires as well ..just wish they were a little cheaper ..and no doubt they would be a great fur Gun..also you should show some pics of a proper Fox setup sometime!

Last edited:
I haven’t had a computer for a few years so posting pics is a little more involved when your only typing with thumbs. I hunt fox same as coyote. They come in the same way just dumber. Don’t trust their nose 100% like a coyote.

I think you may be surprised how many coyotes are in Newfoundland I’ve seen and heard lots of stories of the numbers. Pics of truck loads of them and all good size too. Look through this sub forum and I’m sure itsall there. Yes eastern coyotes do not get the same prices as the lighter western coyotes. Ours are darker and rub more. They battle mange and lice much harder [beeep]. I’ve yet to see mange on coyotes but I’ve seen some nasty Frankenstein looking wolves in Ontario.

Originally Posted By: Displayed NameI haven’t had a computer for a few years so posting pics is a little more involved when your only typing with thumbs. I hunt fox same as coyote. They come in the same way just dumber. Don’t trust their nose 100% like a coyote.

I think you may be surprised how many coyotes are in Newfoundland I’ve seen and heard lots of stories of the numbers. Pics of truck loads of them and all good size too. Look through this sub forum and I’m sure itsall there. Yes eastern coyotes do not get the same prices as the lighter western coyotes. Ours are darker and rub more. They battle mange and lice much harder [beeep]. I’ve yet to see mange on coyotes but I’ve seen some nasty Frankenstein looking wolves in Ontario.

It was estimated to be around 10,000 coyotes at first ..and the Island is a big place ..I am in the Central region myself and while there are a good number I dont think its as much as the eastern Avalon ..for some reason the population of coyotes in around that area is pretty high..i suspect its got to do with the caribou heard ..we have a few small herds in our area too but they are nowhere near my hunting grounds..now what we do have is Moose ..and lots of them but they are declining so i am thinking the calves are falling prey to packs of coyote and thats why the coyote in the area have a bigger home range because they are following those moose so much.
I have heard of that picture you talked about..i dont think its real..but it might possibly be ..on the west coast the terrain is open ground for miles and i have heard rumors about guys speeding around on snowmobiles till they spot some and then ride up on them till they are tired and get off and shoot them...I wouldnt be proud of that type of hunting though..calling them in with some sounds and taking a good placed shot is the best feeling in the world!

Last edited:
Largest Open area I have ever hunted on ...besides a frozen lake.Very Hard to call them out onto this stuff..not like you see on TV outwest where a guy makes 2-3 dieing rabbit screams and out runs 3-4 coyotes.

Last edited:
Yep pretty stuff there.

Personally although I call only I have zero problem In pressured areas if they need to use snowmobiles and it’s legal. Why not when the goal is getting population down. They use planes and helicopters with shotgunners in the states. I personally knew a guy that shot 100+ a year with a 12gauge. He drove his pickup after they in large corn fields and hopped out of truck when they started to bounce. He knew that meant they were turning. Had it down to an art. Don’t think I don’t respect coyotes, I just think when they are hurting ranchers or natural big game populations. Have at’r with whatever that’s legal. Sure wish we were allowed silencers and thermal vision. That technology is amazing.

Last edited:
Back