Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#311528 - 09/27/05 06:11 PM E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: North America
Deleted due to outdated information.

Edited by snowcamoman (12/16/11 11:22 AM)
Edit Reason: Old Information

#311529 - 09/27/05 06:14 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
Squirrelhunter91 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Rockland County, NY
Thanks for doing this snowcamoman! This is greatly appreciated by everybody. This will also be a useful tool for someone looking to purchase their first e-caller.

#311530 - 09/27/05 06:45 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
Glen S Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: New Philadelphia, Ohio
Most Excellent.

Kinda looks like the power lines will affect your remote ranges.

#311531 - 09/27/05 06:58 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: Glen S]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

Yes sir, those power lines seemed to mess with those remotes. I'm working to fix those links above.

#311532 - 09/27/05 07:10 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
CoyoteDoc1 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Pierre SD
snow

Awesome work. I'm sure that took a LOT of time. Looks like a fair and complete test. I do have a question/test if you have time to run it (if you haven't already).

Could you figure out a test for "non-line of site" for the remotes. Possibly put the units behind a small ridge or hill and then test the yardage effectiveness? Just curious, but thanks for all the hard work.
Doc

#311533 - 09/27/05 07:14 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
AllPredatorCalls Offline
PM Advertiser

Loc: St. George, Utah
Thanks. Interesting info.

Looks like all the ranges were achieved with the caller elevated off the ground.

How about one more test.

Electronic caller on the ground and hunter/operater on his butt on the ground operating controls. Call it the "AP" method.

AP

#311534 - 09/27/05 07:34 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: AllPredatorCalls]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

AP,
I'm heading out on wednesday evening to test "loudness" dB's. I'll run the AP method through and post results.
CoyoteDoc,
There is lots of mining activity where I'll be heading on Wednesday too. I'll set the callers behind the tailing piles and let you know what ranges I get. Is there a particular height of hill you're looking for? Most of the tailing piles are 10-20 foot high?

#311535 - 09/27/05 07:40 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

I noticed the links above to the FCC websites for the companies is not working. Try this one and then under applicant name, type

FoxPro to find FoxPro's applications
Wildlife Technologies for WT's applications
Argusteam Enterprise for Western Rivers Remote applications

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/cf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm

If that doesn't work try

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/

and then click on the link at the bottom that says "Equipment Authorization Search"

That will take you to the page where you can type in the applicants name to find information.

#311536 - 09/27/05 07:48 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
cougerbait Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: NORTH CAROLINA
snowcamoman,
Sounds like you are doing a great job!

One question I have sir is the responsiveness of the volume? How fast does the volume go up or down? I think that to be fair it would need to be the whole range of the callers volume? Just a thought. I use callers this way on stand.

Thank you for all you time and hard work regarding this test.

#311537 - 09/27/05 07:52 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: cougerbait]
LEN Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Olympia,WA
Interesting that the power lines and such degrade the signal and transmittting though brush doesn't effect as much.
Also all did way beyond where I'm setting the call from me unless I'm calling GRIZZ.

LEN

#311538 - 09/27/05 07:55 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: cougerbait]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

Cougarbait,
I noticed during testing that at the further ranges, there is a delay in signal transmission. I could run each caller through a silent to full volume if you want and give you a time for each. The FoxPro's, Bandit, and Predation all have a continuous volume adjustment you could say. I mean that you hold the button and the volume increases as it is held. I believe the FoxPro's have 100 steps in theirs and I'm not sure what the Predation and Bandit have. The Wildlife Technologies caller has preset volumes that you push buttons 1-6 to change. Number 1 being the quietest and 6 the loudest. So the time to go from the quietest to fullest volume on the WT would be as fast as you could push the two buttons. I'll time the others at say 10 yards through the full volume for each. If you need something different let me know and I'll try it out for you.

#311539 - 09/27/05 07:56 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

Len,
I was surprised at how the power lines effected the range too. And these weren't what I would classify as "Major" powerlines. I'll get a photo of the area posted soon along with all other testing area photos and remote photos.

#311540 - 09/27/05 08:33 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
swift one Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: LaPorte County, Indiana
Excellent testing snow. I appreciate all the work you are doing to provide some accurate and unbiased field tests. I will be watching this closely.

I am impressed that the Predation was going 400yds past the posted range capability.

#311541 - 09/27/05 09:46 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: swift one]
River Runner Offline
PM is my life

Loc: Bloomington, WI
Very Nice Snow.
I'd like to take the thread, remove the replies, leaving your posts only and place it out front in the tech section or even the Review Section....when your finished.

#311542 - 09/27/05 09:50 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
Joel Hughes Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: tx
Good stuff, Snowman. Thank you very much. Looking forward to all of it!

#311543 - 09/27/05 09:57 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: River Runner]
cougerbait Offline
Die Hard Member II

Snow,

Thank you for the reply. I didn't know the WT had the presets on the volume. I could imangine that the longer ranges would cause a dely. I think that the closer range is fine. Most hunting situtions are going to be between 30 and 80 yards. Not the 400+ that it seems as most are doing. I'm all ready impressed with the data that you have given sir.

Thank you for your ear. I look forward to the rest of your results!

#311544 - 09/27/05 11:45 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: cougerbait]
SteveM Offline
Retired PM Staff

I have all the callers and have never got lucky enough to get that kind of range with any of them including my favorite, FoxPro. I guess different areas give different results.

#311545 - 09/28/05 12:55 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: SteveM]
Furhunter Offline
PM senior

Loc: Western Colorado
SteveM

I hear ya on that, my 416 wont work at 30 yards if there is so much as a twig between the remote and the caller. Now that I bring that up I am going to call them tomarrow.

NRA Life Member
RMGO.org Member

#311546 - 09/28/05 01:50 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: Furhunter]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

That is interesting information on your 416 Furhunter and SteveM. I was even able to use the FX3's remote to operate the 416B at the same distances. As you can see though, various variables effect the ranges like the powerlines, houses etc. I'll continue to try some remote areas this winter where there is nothing around for miles and miles except white snow and trees. This will be the "Remote Range at -30 below testing."
Cougerbait,
I'll run the timed volume testing at say 50 yards and report my findings. It's super windy here this evening and I'm hoping it dies down for tomorrow's loudness dB testing. If not, I'll have to wait on the loudness testing. I'll run the AP test, CoyoteDoc test and the timed volumes if the wind continues to howl tomorrow. I'll get a huge photo post this weekend with all sorts of detailed photos of the remotes, areas used to test and other stuff.
RiverRunner,
Feel free to do with this information as you see fit. It's for everybody to see and use as a tool when deciding on what caller will work best for them.

#311547 - 09/28/05 10:09 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
CoyoteDoc1 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Pierre SD
snow
10 feet should be plenty. I was just mostly wondering about the back side of a ridge or hill. Not necessarily the very bottom, but just over the top. Thanks

#311548 - 09/28/05 10:59 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: CoyoteDoc1]
cougerbait Offline
Die Hard Member II

Thank you Sir!

#311549 - 09/28/05 11:00 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: CoyoteDoc1]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

No problem CoyoteDoc1, I'll place the caller so that it goes behind the hill rather than at the bottom of the other side. That'd be a tough one to use to simulate a hunting scenario by placing it at the bottom of the hill. I may need to hold off on the testing this evening. It's looking like 30-40 mph winds with rain and possible snow. If it breaks though, I'll be out there testing.

#311550 - 09/28/05 11:38 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

I have a correction to a statement mentioned earlier. I said that there is a delay in transmission from the remotes. This is not the case. The delay is in the sound travel. The speed of the transmitters is right at the speed of light (186000 mi/sec) and the speed of sound is (761 mph). Therefore, the transmitter is getting there faster than the sound is getting back to the user. This is something to consider when you're a long ways away from the caller and you think that pushing the buttons isn't working. Give it a second for the sound to get back to you before you mash another button. I apologize for any confusion and hope that clarifies the earlier comment.

#311551 - 09/28/05 12:45 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: SteveM]
BroncoGlenn Offline
Retired PM Staff

Loc: Henderson, Nevada
Quote:

I have all the callers and have never got lucky enough to get that kind of range with any of them including my favorite, FoxPro. I guess different areas give different results.

Must be sunspots in your calling area Steve.

#311552 - 09/28/05 04:37 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: BroncoGlenn]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

There will be another portion of testing along with the timed volume. I'll do a time to change sounds and number of buttons or sequence that needs to be pushed. This was an item that was asked for and I'll get on the board. It's snowing here in the hills and raining on the flats. I hope I don't lose the snowcamo units. Might be a nasty night for testing. I'll give it a shot though and try to nail down the AP test, CoyoteDoc1 test behind the hill, Timed Volumes and Times to change sounds. Then if the wind will calm down sometime I'll get the loudness done. Thanks for everyone's help and input into this project. I hope that everybody gets something useful out of it.

#311553 - 09/28/05 07:11 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
greg223 Offline
PM senior

Loc: Montana and My USA
This is great stuff.

River Runner has a good idea. Post your findings in one post.

Looking forward to rest of this research.

Edited by greg223 (09/28/05 07:13 PM)

#311554 - 09/28/05 07:36 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: greg223]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

Greg,
As I go along and wrap up the testing, I'll post each section. Then I can send RiverRunner my MS Word report writeups. Then it can be added to any section and locked for viewing only if he wants. If anybody wants the MS Word docs, I can email, just send me a message. I'd like to get this information out here for people because some people are only interested in certain areas of the testing. I'm glad people like it so far. I think outdoor remote testing is out for this evening. I'll try to get the timed volumes and timed sound selection done in the garage though. I'll do some photos this evening and try to post them. It's whipping wind and snow like mad here. I'll aim for the next decent weather day. Nobody would go out hunting in the weather I'm having right now....well... ok, I might go out in it, but would probably get skunked pretty bad.

#311555 - 09/28/05 08:37 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
Glen S Offline
Die Hard Member II

Just a thought on your thick timber remote test. Do you think placing the callers on the ground on the opposite side of a fallen tree--tucked up against it-- than backing off about 40 yards +/- would affect the remotes abilities? Say if the tree was like 30" or more across. Just wondering if the tree would block the signal. If you have a few extra minutes for this I'm curious. Thx for all your efforts & time.

Whatcha gonna do with the W/R when you're done with it.

#311556 - 09/28/05 09:02 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: Glen S]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

Glen S,
At 40 yards, you're not going to see any effect on the remotes. I've tried them at that range behind a variety of items (my truck, through garage door) and they worked just fine. I didn't push it to the outer limits, but at 40-50 yards, I didn't see any effect. The largest diameter trees I can find up here are maybe 18" (White Spruce). I'm working on a project here and we have stacks of plywood approximately 6' high. I'll bring them in and test through the stack of wood. I'm going to be selling off some of the callers after I get all of the testing complete. I'd love to hold onto all of them in case something comes up or somebody wants some weird kind of information or test, but I do need to get rid of some of them eventually and try and re-coop some money from this project.

#311557 - 09/29/05 01:14 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
Luv2Hunt Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Magnolia, Tx
Snowcamoman,

I think I may know why you are experiencing differences in range in the various remotes, and especially in the trees.

I spoke with Minaska Outdoors today, and asked them what frequency range their remotes operate on. They said it operates in the 416 MHz range as I recall, which is UHF. Traditionally, UHF will not perform well in pine forests, as the pine needles are basically a quarter wave length of the 416 MHz frequencies, and they absorb the RF energy. Thereby, restricting the distance in that type of environment.

If, FoxPro, Predator, or Wildlife Technologies, are using VHF frequencies to operate their remote capability, then they will penetrate the trees a lot better in that type of environment.

After reading your report, I had to rationalize in my mind why remotes of the same power as mandated by the FCC would outperform one another. That is why I asked the frequencies being used. Likewise, 900 MHz would penetrate the forests some degree better than UHF as well due to the different needle lengths compared to wave length of frequency.

I guess when it boils down to it though, all of the callers performed adequately for hunting purposes, and it is just a matter of other individual benefits of each caller as to which one a person would buy.

Thanks for all your hard work. You are truly putting the various units involved to test in adverse conditions. Something we all need to know for intelligent decision making.

Great work!

Bill

#311558 - 09/29/05 01:28 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: Luv2Hunt]
Luv2Hunt Offline
Seasoned Member

Forgot to add this fact about UHF remote on Bandit:

Although the UHF remote range would be reduced in thick pine, or coniferous type trees compared to VHF. It would still perform well in a more open environment, and would not be subject to as much interference from sunspots (technically known as temperature inversion), or ambient nose levels, or manmade noise (interference from high lines.) (theoretically speaking about all of the above.)

Hardwood forests seem to not affect the UHF frequency usage. So, if you have hard wood forests near where you hunt, coverage would be far better than in coniferous forests. Again, brings you back to personal preferences on other facts and benefits of the individual callers.

Bill

#311559 - 09/29/05 01:45 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: Luv2Hunt]
The Bandit Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Valparaiso Nebraska
Quote:

I spoke with Minaska Outdoors today, and asked them what frequency range their remotes operate on. They said it operates in the 416 MHz range as I recall

Bill,

Our remote is 418 not 416 MHz

#311560 - 09/29/05 09:16 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: The Bandit]
Luv2Hunt Offline
Seasoned Member

Oops! Sorry about that. I stand corrected to 418 MHz. Everything still remains the same though with regard to performances. Thanks for correcting my misquote.

Bill

#311561 - 09/29/05 11:55 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: Luv2Hunt]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

Luv2Hunt,
That is a very good question concerning the UHF/VHF and frequencies. I'll let the manufacturer's answer that question being that isn't something I can "test". If you look on the FCC links and check under the test reports, it will tell you all of the tested frequencies for the remotes.

I performed timed volume and sound selection last night. I have the report at home and will update that this evening with photos of the remotes and what buttons or sequence of buttons must be pushed in order to operate the callers. Hopefully the wind stays away today tonight so I can get loudness testing done. Thanks for everyone's patience.

#311562 - 09/29/05 05:16 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
Glen S Offline
Die Hard Member II

That was easy enough. Thanks Again. I was just messing with you on selling your good callers.

#311563 - 09/29/05 06:27 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: CoyoteDoc1]
UgashikBob Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Outlet Lower Ugashik Lake Alas...
Snowcamoman:
I do appreciate all your efforts. I was surprised at the ranges for the remotes. I have never even tried my remote at anything further than 500 yards. The problem I have with the extended ranges is like you mentioned I can't hear the caller on lower volumes to tell if the right sounds or volume changes have been made.
A couple observations and comments on the remote usage on my W/T caller. One of my pet peeves about the remote is the fact you have absolutely no indicator there is power to the unit except the position of the rotatry power on knob. This is a very easy way to find out you are [beeep] up the next time you walk all the way to a calling area without spare batterys. That is why I always carry spare batterys for the main unit, remote and grs radio with me in the pack. Any remote that has even a small non battery consuming led would get bonus points on my score card. Some kind of backlit display would also nulify the need for a seperate light source for night ops or early morning late evening. I would suggest a very subtle red backlight that wouldn't ruin your night vision.
I also think the operating characteristics of the W/T remote leave a lot to be desired. It is confusing to me as to what button is required to select, start and pause sounds and what is required to to select and operate a different sound and then select differnt numbers for volume level change. A simple up and down button with a numeric display to tell you where you are at in case you don't remember where you last set it would be nice. Also for what they charge for there sounds you would think they could make a a card or something to refer to. I taped a sheet on my remote and base unit I made myself but they have worn off several times.
When I sent you my comments earlier one thing I forgot to mention is how do the units compare as far as water resistance? I got caught in storm during a recent moose hunt and swamped my skiff with my caller in it and it was totally trashed so I sent it back to W/T. It is a lot to ask for any electronic to survive several hours in the water but what happened to me is not that uncommon and the day to day hunting conditions where I am at are brutal at best. Bottom line is how would the units stand up in a 50 mph willawaw?

#311564 - 09/29/05 07:38 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: UgashikBob]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

UgashikBob,
I'm not sure how old your WT is, but the newer unit has a small LED on it that dims as the battery dies down. This evening I'll get photos of the new remotes for all of the callers. The water resistance test would be a good one, but I'd probably end up ruining the callers. If you want your WT to be absolutely waterproof (except the speaker), put it all in a small pelican case and file a small section of the sealing rib off. Then use some silicone around the cord in that area where you filed. For the other callers, I've put them in small drybags when I've been rafting and they'll float down the river just dandy and dry. I've used the drybag technique in the spring months too when the snow is wet and sticking to everything. At the end of all the testing, I'll show some of the things I've done with the callers to suit my own needs and the conditions I use them in. I don't abuse my gear, but as you know, the conditions here in Alaska are anything but friendly on gear.

#311565 - 09/30/05 12:25 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
Hollowpoint 22 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: UK
snowcamoman,
Nice to hear from you again. Excellent reading. Would it be possible to have a test on clarity of sound?

Also, how clear the sounds are at different volumes.

Hollowpoint 22.

#311566 - 09/30/05 09:57 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: Hollowpoint 22]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

Hollowpoint 22. A sound clarity test is a very difficult one to "measure" other than by what my ears or somebody elses ears hear. I will be posting the loudness testing this weekend for all of the callers. Then after the definable and measureable items are covered I'll do one on what my ears hear from the callers. I can try to measure the loudness where distortion or static occurs. I'll also include a topic on mute/static sounds. I'll try to cover this topic, but again, it's not something I will put under the quantifiable portions of testing. I'll have a remote post here soon and then loudness this weekend along with hopefully the AP sitting remote test, CoyoteDoc's hill remote test.

#311567 - 10/01/05 05:45 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
Hollowpoint 22 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: UK
Snowcammoman,
Yep, I know it would be a difficult one, just your own opinion would be enough.

" I can try to measure the loudness where distortion or static occurs."

I think that would be an important one. All calls can be loud, but if they distort the sound at high volume, I think that would be a minus for the caller.

Great work mate, much appreciated, looking forward to your results.

Hollowpoint 22.

#311568 - 10/01/05 03:45 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: Hollowpoint 22]
berettaman Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Southeastern KY
Snowcamoman....which Pelican model case would one get the newer W/T caller? I love what your doing BTW! Thanks a lot!

#311569 - 10/02/05 10:28 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: berettaman]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

berettaman,
The WT will fit into the model 1200 pelican case with foam all around it. Hope that helps.

#311570 - 10/03/05 12:58 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
berettaman Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Southeastern KY
Snowcamoman...thank you sir!!

#311571 - 10/04/05 06:52 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges *DELETED* [Re: berettaman]
guess Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: N.texas
Post deleted by Weasel-UT

https://www.youtube.com/user/HogZombies/video sponsored by Convergent Hunting Solutions,Hornady

#311572 - 10/05/05 09:25 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges *DELETED* [Re: guess]
Mountain boomer Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Floyd County, Virginia

#311573 - 10/05/05 09:43 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges *DELETED* [Re: Mountain boomer]
cougerbait Offline
Die Hard Member II

#311574 - 10/05/05 09:57 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges *DELETED* [Re: cougerbait]
FOXPRO Offline
PM PREMIUM Sponsor

Loc: Lewistown, PA

FOXPRO Inc.
High Performance Game Calls

www.gofoxpro.com

#311575 - 10/05/05 10:21 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges *DELETED* [Re: FOXPRO]
cougerbait Offline
Die Hard Member II

#311576 - 10/05/05 10:34 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges *DELETED* [Re: cougerbait]
guess Offline

https://www.youtube.com/user/HogZombies/video sponsored by Convergent Hunting Solutions,Hornady

#311577 - 10/05/05 10:44 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges *DELETED* [Re: guess]
cougerbait Offline
Die Hard Member II

#311578 - 10/05/05 11:03 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges *DELETED* [Re: cougerbait]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

#311579 - 10/05/05 11:11 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges *DELETED* [Re: snowcamoman]
guess Offline

#311580 - 10/05/05 11:13 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges *DELETED* [Re: guess]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

#311581 - 10/05/05 01:50 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges *DELETED* [Re: snowcamoman]
Weasel-UT Offline
Retired PM Staff

Loc: S.W. Utah

#311582 - 10/05/05 02:01 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: Weasel-UT]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

Weasel-UT,
If you delete the posts, I'll copy them all back into a new one so the thread has the same conversations already in it. I have the posts saved so it can go on a new thread. Thanks.

#311583 - 10/05/05 02:09 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
Weasel-UT Offline
Retired PM Staff

Loc: S.W. Utah
Good idea!

We'll clean up these threads before saving them, but for the meantime it'd be nice to keep on track.
Great work snowcamoman! Thanks for all you do.

#311584 - 10/05/05 02:16 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: Weasel-UT]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

Exactly,
Let the testing stay together and all issues/problems/legal items go to another thread referencing whatever the problems/issues are. Thanks.

#311585 - 10/05/05 02:25 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
cougerbait Offline
Die Hard Member II

That is all I was trying to get at. Thank you! Lets keep this thread going on good terms!

#311586 - 10/05/05 02:44 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: cougerbait]
FOXPRO Offline
PM PREMIUM Sponsor

Loc: Lewistown, PA
Thanks Weasel and snowcamoman! I really appreciate all of the work that you have been doing for this testing, snowcamoman!

Mike Dillon

FOXPRO, Inc.
"The Caller of the Wild"

The True Leader.
Often imitated, never equaled!

FOXPRO Inc.
High Performance Game Calls

www.gofoxpro.com

#311587 - 10/05/05 06:25 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: FOXPRO]
GS Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Waco Texas
I too want to compliment you on your testing. I have watched this with great interest. Since I do not have a dog in this fight I will ask a few questions for some clarification in my mind. I am curious as to your method of testing. You state that you tested the callers with the caller at three feet off the ground. How far off the ground was the transmitter when you conducted the test?

I tested our old RC-3's back in the 90's with the caller on the ground as well as the transmitter in my lap as I sat with my normal calling position. I felt that was the most common usage for our unit and it would be the most accurate guage for reporting distances.

As I would move away from the caller and lose performance, I would raise the transmitter off the ground. I achieved a distance of over 300 yards with my hand as high over my head as could be, but felt comfortable with advertising only an effective range of 100 to be safe. That was a distance that I could expect reliable performance in most calling situations. Since it was not a practical way of calling I did not feel comfortable making that claim.

In your tests, I can see where there are opportunities to hang a caller in a tree when there are some around, but are the distances you are achieving with you standing up or sitting down?

I guess I should have advertised "up to 300 yards" with the disclaimer " depending on conditions" but to be honest with you I did not want to field all of the guys in flat country with no trees bitching at me about not being able to get 300 yards.

I am quite surprised at the distances you are achieving and am wondering if some of the other manufacturers will now cite your test for their marketing claims.

If this question was answered earlier just ignore it. I read through this pretty quickly.

Thanks for your efforts.

#311588 - 10/05/05 06:48 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: GS]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

GS,
The remote testing to date has been me standing holding the remotes mid-chest level (48 inches). I'm going to be doing a sitting test with the callers sitting on the ground also. AP with allpredatorcalls asked for this one earlier along with CoyoteDoc asking for a test with the callers just behind the ridge of a hill. It'll probably be 10 days or so before I can get back out to test that portion as I'm working 84 hour weeks and taking night classes at the university. So, when work settles down, I'm going to get those numbers for people. I was quite surprised by some of the numbers too especially considering some of the ranges I was getting were over 3 times the manufacturer's stated range. I'll also have some other remote data to post along with the callers themselves. Hope this helps.

#311589 - 10/05/05 09:10 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
GS Offline
Die Hard Member

It's not that you are doing something wrong. Your test is apples to apples which tells us a bunch. If everyone is in that "bigger is better" frame of mind then the distances you are achieving are important to them. If you are trying to help us decide which callers are adequate for our use in the field, then testing them in a way that resembles how we may use them is even more important.

I suspected that you probably were standing up which would cause them to perform at such incredible distances. I for one, are not interested in distances over 200 yards for selfish reasons. That means that I am more concerned about what are the features and how reliable are they. The distance is not as important to me as is the reliability of that distance, whatever it might be, in all circumstance.

I for one would like to see how they perform on uneven ground with the caller above or below the transmitter. You are halfway there. Try this also, move the antennae in different positions to the ground and see if the reciever still is able to pick up the signal. If you hold some antennae vertical to the ground versus Horizontal it can dramatically impact performance. That was one of the problems we had with the Bushwhacker. I hated having to hold the unit vertical because it caused an inconvenience to reading the LCD screen.

One of the units you are testing would not even work at 50 yards for me while sitting on the ground with the caller on the ground. Now you have gotten several hundred yards out of it. It may be that they have improved since I bought an early model. It will be interesting to see what results you get under similar circumstances. If you have time to try them all with both units at ground or lap level on uneven, rising or falling ground that would be great.

Do not knock yourself out over this test. Do it at your pace. I suspect we will all be watching with great interest regardless of how long it takes you.

Thanks again for your work.....I am sending this url to our designers.

#311590 - 10/05/05 09:27 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: GS]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

Thanks GS, I'm going to do the seated position testing. I'll try to vary the antenna's also to see what effect it has on the remote range. Like you, I too don't use a caller more than 50 yards from me. I'd rather get the thing out there and back to the stand quick and quiet instead of dragging a mile scent trail out there. Reliability and features for field use are things that I need for a sound decision. I'll be posting all kinds of photos of features on each caller, things I've done to make sound changes, battery changes, battery charging, sound additions and such easier for me. When the temperatures here drop to -10 or colder I'm hoping to do some battery life tests. I know not many care about a -60 below test, but I'll probably get the coldest day I can and get out and test them to see how they do. I do however need to recoup some money from this project in the near future, so a e-caller sale will eventually happen. I'll also be providing sound list formats in MS Word that I can email to people for any of the callers I've tested that they can print out and laminate or clear tape to thier remotes if they want. There really are so many dimensions to it and the features on these callers keeps growing every year. I imagine in the future, we'll see a caller that has a small built in mouse decoy that pops up when we push the decoy button and then retracts back into the caller when you want to move to the next stand. I've got all kinds of interesting ideas of what my "Super Ideal" caller would be, but at this point in the game, it's probably 4-5 years away. What's out there now is top notch though and offers customers a great way to compliment their hunting.

#311591 - 10/05/05 09:32 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
GS Offline
Die Hard Member

Great! That mouse idea is a hoot!

#311592 - 10/05/05 11:17 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: GS]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

GS,
You should hear some of the ideas I've got. Maybe I should go into business selling/designing e-callers. Still gotta have good sounds before you can sell a caller though.

#311593 - 10/06/05 08:48 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
YOTE60 Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Maine
Snowcamoman,

Quote:

I'll also be providing sound list formats in MS Word that I can email to people for any of the callers I've tested that they can print out and laminate or clear tape to thier remotes if they want.

Would you expand on this in more depth Please.

Thank You! And keep up the commendable job you are doing

April

#311594 - 10/06/05 11:59 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: YOTE60]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

Yoters Den,
I have remote soundcards/playlists formatted in MS Word that people can just change the sounds on and print out. They are made to fit on each caller and sized to fit on each of the remotes. The only one that I don't have one for is the Western Rivers Predation because of its tiny size. It just saves people having to mess with formatting something to fit. FoxPro is planning to offer a downloadable soundlist/card for their remotes in the near future. But these MS Word files are just formatted so that all you do is change the sound on the numbers and print it out, cut it and laminate or use clear tape to put onto the remote back.

#311595 - 10/07/05 06:54 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
BroncoGlenn Offline
Retired PM Staff

If you're looking at providing this MS Word template file free of charge, you might be able to convince the PM admins to host the file off the Free Stuff page or such.

If space/bandwidth is an issue, I'm sure somebody would volunteer (I would) to host the file on their web site and they could simply provide the link.

This would simply save you the trouble of having to email the thing.

#311596 - 10/07/05 12:00 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: BroncoGlenn]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

BroncoGlenn,
That's a great idea. Let me get them all perfected so they fit just right onto the Linx Panels and for the WT remote and I'll email them so somebody can host them or the PM can put it up in the free stuff page. I appreciate the help.

#311597 - 10/07/05 02:39 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
BroncoGlenn Offline
Retired PM Staff

I was thinking I could turn them into PDFs for you, but then that would only be of much use for those hand-writing the names in, unless they can open PDFs for editing.

#311598 - 10/07/05 04:07 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: BroncoGlenn]
YOTE60 Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Maine
Snowcamoman,

That's a great idea! We already do something similiar with our customers who purchase a Sound Card Carrier or (SCC-1). After they submitt their sounds we data base them and provide new ones by request that fit into their carrier and if they change sounds we update and furnish a new list to them upon request and at NO CHARGE! to them to include S/H on our Klear-Kard night viewable Card. Our method totally eliminates the need to re-tape, laminate or other to a list that is just put back again "On the back of the Remote" Look Here (SCC-1)

Thanks Snowcamoman again for doing this

April

#311599 - 01/06/06 02:49 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: Luv2Hunt]
TimberToes Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: N. Texas
Something folks can take into consideration:

With the antennea of the recieving unit near the ground, the moisture and mineralization content of the ground affects the capacitance to ground that the antennae "sees". this changes the charactersitics of the antennae. These changes could go in either direction, bad or good

Indeed, as the ground effects change the impedance of the antennea, then the recievers front end amplifier sees a different impedance. This impedance change will affect the gain and noise figure of the first amplifier, and typically for the worse. How much worse would be uknown, a few db change in gain or noise figure should not be to critical.

#311600 - 01/10/06 10:59 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: CoyoteDoc1]
rabbitguardian Offline

Rabbitguardian

#311601 - 01/14/06 11:13 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: rabbitguardian]
Nahuatl Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Unincorporated Los Angeles Cou...
{{After this was posted, I tried out a new Ipod 4th generation and discovered that Ijet does not work on IPOD 4! The IJET, while good, is already OBSOLETE.))

Since it not available, it's not worth talking about.

#311602 - 01/14/06 01:05 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: Nahuatl]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

Nahuatl,
That iJet sounds like a great setup for stepping away from the hunting rig and calling. As you know, I'm going to be setting up a calling truck and this is right up my alley. It hit -30 below last night by the time I was heading home from calling. Lots of snowshoe hares out, but no other critters. That blazing moon didn't help, but it was nice to get out and find sign. Thanks for the information on the iPod/iJet setup, that's a great package for people hunting from their rigs.

#311603 - 07/09/06 09:24 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
Alaskan Yoter Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Wasilla, AK
Darn Camo.............I don't venture to far out of hand calls but glad I found this. Your doing some good work. I might have to drive up and check out a few of the callers.

Todd

#311604 - 04/23/07 02:23 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: Alaskan Yoter]
Sly Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Coyote Country
I tested the FX5 in Arizona today at 6:00 AM with clear skies, temperature at 63 degrees and no breeze. When the caller was placed on the ground with the antennal folded down I was able to get about 95 yards line of sight. By hanging it about 2 feet above the ground I was able to get it to work without fail at 125 yards. By hanging it in a tree with the antenna pointed up I was able to get 200 yards line of site consistently. Anything beyond these ranges was intermittent.

I also tested a home built Ecaller using a Nady wireless transmitter and receiver. The Nady often had problems at short ranges of 50 to 75 feet using the softwire antenna that comes with the receiver. When I replaced the softwire antenna with the optional Rubber Duckey antenna the Nady performed at 75 yards without fail.

#311605 - 05/13/07 08:09 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: Sly]
Okanagan Offline
Die Hard Member

I tested the M1 Bandit recently. About 60 degrees F, M1 hung on a bush 2 feet above the ground, moderately humid, sunny with broken clouds, 50 feet above sea level. The remote worked instantly out to 312 long paces and under the circumstances, that was as far from it as I could get.

I'd planned several tests in brush, etc. but curtailed them because a bunch of people showed up and the open river dike I'd planned to use for the max distance test is closed due to flooding. The best I could do on the open distance test was a straight section of path through brush and trees. Very narrow slot through trees, under a canopy of timber. The remote worked at 312 paces, the farthest measurable distance I could back off. FWIW the last time I checked, my paced 100 yards turned out to be 102 yards.

On a hunt this winter, I tried the remote as I circled the area to look for tracks in snow after a calling sequence. It worked at more than 60 yards with a ten foot high ridge between remote and call. That was at 25 degrees F, dry humidity, 5,200 feet elevation, broken high clouds, call set on ground between two logs.

I held off posting this for a week because it needs a more comprehensive test, but I'm not sure when I'll get to it again so FWIW.

Edited by Okanagan (05/13/07 09:35 PM)

#1340499 - 08/02/09 09:37 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: Okanagan]
Trap935 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: PA
Was these remotes ever tested under normal hunting conditions? I haven't seen a continuous of this testing. I was curious about the ranges while out of view and in high grass and weeds and maybe in a dip or behind a tree at 100yrds away. Do any of these remotes work that far away under the conditions that was mentioned?

#1341845 - 08/04/09 06:34 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: Trap935]
Trap935 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: PA
TTT

#1383704 - 10/03/09 11:19 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: CoyoteDoc1]
Bucket Offline

Loc: Corona,CA
Thanks snowcamoman i have been looking to purchase a caller and this has helped me a great deal!!!!

#1415154 - 11/14/09 12:56 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: CoyoteDoc1]
South Paw Shooter Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: KANSAS, USA
Thanks for the hard work and dedication I will keep watch for any new info that you post.

#1436802 - 12/08/09 11:52 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: South Paw Shooter]
Thornton Wild Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: USA
Question for the ones with "radio signal" smarts. The antenna on the Spitfire is just a 18 ga.or so wire connected to the circuit board and routed up through the handle from the inside. No external antenna. Could anything be gained by wrapping a 12 ga. bare copper wire around the handle?

#1549262 - 03/05/10 09:59 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: Thornton Wild]
Wolf Medicine Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Alberta's Wolf country.
Only if it is connected to the antenna wire. Then there is the possibility of some gain. If your goin that far why not just get A little antenna and mount it to the casing and hook it up. Think you would gain more going that way.

Rhino.

#1602884 - 05/19/10 03:30 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: Wolf Medicine]
bgtme Offline
Seasoned Member

Snowcamo,good to see your still keeping busy,in the off season!!!I've just been trying to keep the yard mowed.

#1787548 - 01/09/11 09:03 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: bgtme]
EDP Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Texas
Would like to see the same test on the GameTraks

#1893611 - 04/02/11 11:42 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
Coyotehunter_ Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Southern IN
Not sure if this question has been asked and answered before but I'd like to know what kind of batteries you used in the FX3 for this test. Did you use Alkaline, Lithium or NiMH rechargeable types. If you used the NiMH rechargeables were they the precharged type or the low discharge type that can stay charged for up to a year.

The reason I ask is that I think that having good batteries in the unit makes a big difference. Expecially in cold weather.

I would think that the test results would be better using Lithium batteries in cold weather as they produce more electrons in cold weather than the Rechargeables NiMH or the Alkaline type.

I have an FX3 that's only two years old and the last time I used it the batteries may not have been charged up right. Since that time I have purchased a new Maha MA C801D battery charger that forms the batteries and also soft charges and rejuvenate these NiMH Batteries. I'm going to test the FX3 range with the remote again now that I have all my precharged Duracellls formed and fully charged up. I hope it works better.

I'd like to see how far the remote can control the FX3 when the FX3 unit is on the ground and I am sitting down on the ground using the remote control. That's how I would hunt in an open area without any trees around. I don't really want to have to carry a pole to hang the FX3 from to get it up off the ground. I don't mind hanging the unit on a branch if one's available at the time.

Perhaps they should make an antenna that could be stretched out from the unit and hung from a branch or something. That way the unit itself would stay on the ground. Maybe an external antenna that can be plugged into the unit like the jack in the box thing.

I would think that using the Jack in the box and the remote control along with the FX3 or any of these foxpro callers would help in the testing. I can see the decoy move faster than I can hear the sounds of the FX3, especially if testing on a windy day. As long as I have a good line of sight between the decoy and the remote.

Coyotehunter_

#1893631 - 04/02/11 12:11 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: Coyotehunter_]
doggin coyotes Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Coyotehunter_

Perhaps they should make an antenna that could be stretched out from the unit and hung from a branch or something. That way the unit itself would stay on the ground.

Hoping to make the remote functions more reliable and increasing the range a little bit, I once experimented doing that exact thing with the antennas on a couple of FP callers.

Did not help one bit.

The callers are limited due to FFC regulations. They are what they are.

The callers using FHSS are much better for remote reliability and range.

#2102607 - 01/07/12 08:26 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: doggin coyotes]
rabbitsqueal Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Greenwood, SC
Put rabbit ears on it.

#2113387 - 01/15/12 05:02 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: rabbitsqueal]
skipjack Offline
Predator Master

Loc: North Dakota
Very informative testing. Thanks snowcamoman!

#2377108 - 12/30/12 06:20 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
FishAlaska Offline

Loc: Tularosa, NM
For what it worth. I had the Shockwave out today and the remote worked fine at 103 yards in the brush and Mesquite trees. I did have the caller on a fence post about 2 feet off the ground just because that is where I hung it.

#2925387 - 02/02/16 09:47 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
hammer0419 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: oc ny
I recently tested my new Banshee out to 280 yards. No visible line of sight. I was stunned how well it worked.

#3146693 - 04/28/18 02:26 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: hammer0419]
bigdog1 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Mesa, Az
FoxPro Inferno remote tested by FoxPro at 510 yards. Line of sight.

Dave

NRA MEMBER
GUNS HAVE ONLY TWO
ENEMIES; RUST AND POLITICIANS

#3146694 - 04/28/18 02:28 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: hammer0419]
bigdog1 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Mesa, Az

Edited by bigdog1 (04/28/18 02:29 PM)
Edit Reason: double post

NRA MEMBER
GUNS HAVE ONLY TWO
ENEMIES; RUST AND POLITICIANS

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  reb8600 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.