Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#311558 - 09/29/05 01:28 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: Luv2Hunt]
Luv2Hunt Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Magnolia, Tx
Forgot to add this fact about UHF remote on Bandit:

Although the UHF remote range would be reduced in thick pine, or coniferous type trees compared to VHF. It would still perform well in a more open environment, and would not be subject to as much interference from sunspots (technically known as temperature inversion), or ambient nose levels, or manmade noise (interference from high lines.) (theoretically speaking about all of the above.)

Hardwood forests seem to not affect the UHF frequency usage. So, if you have hard wood forests near where you hunt, coverage would be far better than in coniferous forests. Again, brings you back to personal preferences on other facts and benefits of the individual callers.

Bill

#311559 - 09/29/05 01:45 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: Luv2Hunt]
The Bandit Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Valparaiso Nebraska
Quote:

I spoke with Minaska Outdoors today, and asked them what frequency range their remotes operate on. They said it operates in the 416 MHz range as I recall

Bill,

Our remote is 418 not 416 MHz

#311560 - 09/29/05 09:16 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: The Bandit]
Luv2Hunt Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Magnolia, Tx
Oops! Sorry about that. I stand corrected to 418 MHz. Everything still remains the same though with regard to performances. Thanks for correcting my misquote.

Bill

#311561 - 09/29/05 11:55 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: Luv2Hunt]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: North America
Luv2Hunt,
That is a very good question concerning the UHF/VHF and frequencies. I'll let the manufacturer's answer that question being that isn't something I can "test". If you look on the FCC links and check under the test reports, it will tell you all of the tested frequencies for the remotes.

I performed timed volume and sound selection last night. I have the report at home and will update that this evening with photos of the remotes and what buttons or sequence of buttons must be pushed in order to operate the callers. Hopefully the wind stays away today tonight so I can get loudness testing done. Thanks for everyone's patience.

#311562 - 09/29/05 05:16 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
Glen S Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: New Philadelphia, Ohio
That was easy enough. Thanks Again. I was just messing with you on selling your good callers.

#311563 - 09/29/05 06:27 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: CoyoteDoc1]
UgashikBob Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Outlet Lower Ugashik Lake Alas...
Snowcamoman:
I do appreciate all your efforts. I was surprised at the ranges for the remotes. I have never even tried my remote at anything further than 500 yards. The problem I have with the extended ranges is like you mentioned I can't hear the caller on lower volumes to tell if the right sounds or volume changes have been made.
A couple observations and comments on the remote usage on my W/T caller. One of my pet peeves about the remote is the fact you have absolutely no indicator there is power to the unit except the position of the rotatry power on knob. This is a very easy way to find out you are [beeep] up the next time you walk all the way to a calling area without spare batterys. That is why I always carry spare batterys for the main unit, remote and grs radio with me in the pack. Any remote that has even a small non battery consuming led would get bonus points on my score card. Some kind of backlit display would also nulify the need for a seperate light source for night ops or early morning late evening. I would suggest a very subtle red backlight that wouldn't ruin your night vision.
I also think the operating characteristics of the W/T remote leave a lot to be desired. It is confusing to me as to what button is required to select, start and pause sounds and what is required to to select and operate a different sound and then select differnt numbers for volume level change. A simple up and down button with a numeric display to tell you where you are at in case you don't remember where you last set it would be nice. Also for what they charge for there sounds you would think they could make a a card or something to refer to. I taped a sheet on my remote and base unit I made myself but they have worn off several times.
When I sent you my comments earlier one thing I forgot to mention is how do the units compare as far as water resistance? I got caught in storm during a recent moose hunt and swamped my skiff with my caller in it and it was totally trashed so I sent it back to W/T. It is a lot to ask for any electronic to survive several hours in the water but what happened to me is not that uncommon and the day to day hunting conditions where I am at are brutal at best. Bottom line is how would the units stand up in a 50 mph willawaw?

#311564 - 09/29/05 07:38 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: UgashikBob]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

UgashikBob,
I'm not sure how old your WT is, but the newer unit has a small LED on it that dims as the battery dies down. This evening I'll get photos of the new remotes for all of the callers. The water resistance test would be a good one, but I'd probably end up ruining the callers. If you want your WT to be absolutely waterproof (except the speaker), put it all in a small pelican case and file a small section of the sealing rib off. Then use some silicone around the cord in that area where you filed. For the other callers, I've put them in small drybags when I've been rafting and they'll float down the river just dandy and dry. I've used the drybag technique in the spring months too when the snow is wet and sticking to everything. At the end of all the testing, I'll show some of the things I've done with the callers to suit my own needs and the conditions I use them in. I don't abuse my gear, but as you know, the conditions here in Alaska are anything but friendly on gear.

#311565 - 09/30/05 12:25 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
Hollowpoint 22 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: UK
snowcamoman,
Nice to hear from you again. Excellent reading. Would it be possible to have a test on clarity of sound?

Also, how clear the sounds are at different volumes.

Hollowpoint 22.

#311566 - 09/30/05 09:57 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: Hollowpoint 22]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

Hollowpoint 22. A sound clarity test is a very difficult one to "measure" other than by what my ears or somebody elses ears hear. I will be posting the loudness testing this weekend for all of the callers. Then after the definable and measureable items are covered I'll do one on what my ears hear from the callers. I can try to measure the loudness where distortion or static occurs. I'll also include a topic on mute/static sounds. I'll try to cover this topic, but again, it's not something I will put under the quantifiable portions of testing. I'll have a remote post here soon and then loudness this weekend along with hopefully the AP sitting remote test, CoyoteDoc's hill remote test.

#311567 - 10/01/05 05:45 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
Hollowpoint 22 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: UK
Snowcammoman,
Yep, I know it would be a difficult one, just your own opinion would be enough.

" I can try to measure the loudness where distortion or static occurs."

I think that would be an important one. All calls can be loud, but if they distort the sound at high volume, I think that would be a minus for the caller.

Great work mate, much appreciated, looking forward to your results.

Hollowpoint 22.

#311568 - 10/01/05 03:45 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: Hollowpoint 22]
berettaman Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Southeastern KY
Snowcamoman....which Pelican model case would one get the newer W/T caller? I love what your doing BTW! Thanks a lot!

#311569 - 10/02/05 10:28 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: berettaman]
snowcamoman Offline
Die Hard Member II

berettaman,
The WT will fit into the model 1200 pelican case with foam all around it. Hope that helps.

#311570 - 10/03/05 12:58 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges [Re: snowcamoman]
berettaman Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Southeastern KY
Snowcamoman...thank you sir!!

#311571 - 10/04/05 06:52 PM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges *DELETED* [Re: berettaman]
guess Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: N.texas
Post deleted by Weasel-UT

https://www.youtube.com/user/HogZombies/video sponsored by Convergent Hunting Solutions,Hornady

#311572 - 10/05/05 09:25 AM Re: E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges *DELETED* [Re: guess]
Mountain boomer Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Floyd County, Virginia
Post deleted by Weasel-UT

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  reb8600 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.