.223 Rem 36 gr Varmint Grenade

The only reason I would shoot lead free bullets at varmints or predators would be because I had no other choice.

When I had to switch from lead bullets to lead free bullets I saw right away that the 22 cal 50 gr Varmint Grenades did not expand as good as 50 gr lead bullets and the 243 Cal 62 gr Varmint Grenade bullets did not expand as good as lead 75 gr V-Max bullets did.

If your 223 has a 1-9" twist or faster barrel I would shoot 50 gr or 55 gr lead free bullets at coyotes if you have to shoot lead free bullets.

Not in a .223 but in a 22-250. It didn't take me long to figure out they're not suitable for coyotes after my uncle shot one in the neck and the bullet didn't come out and I found the base of the bullet sticking in the bullet hole when I skinned it. He shot another one in the chest from practically point blank range in tall grass,kept calling and when he got up to go get it he couldn't find it. That sucker had jumped up and ran off.

They come apart too rapidly. Not something you can expect to go through bone and hit vitals. But I didn't give them much of a chance either based off of what I saw so I guess I shouldn't be too harsh. You might discover something completely different.

Last edited:
Thanks Bob,

I'm in Ohio, so we don't have to shoot lead free bullets.
One of my .223's has 1 in 14 twist, I have several loads for it; 50, 53, 55, 60. I sometimes take it hunting for groundhogs and foxes in semi-tight residential areas and always wondered how good it would do on a coyote.
I think I'll steer away from it, just find a load with the same POI.

Funny my experience with Lead-Free's in 243 have been good, 62gr VG's were leaving huge exits, I went to 55gr NBT LF's and performance was great much like 58gr V-Max in the rifle usually no exit unless close to the edges. I'm shooting them out of a 6mm-204 about halfway between the 6x45 and 243 Win.

I have 36's and 50's in 224 and am going too work on them most likely 36's in the 222R and 50's on the 22-204.

I called Barnes about the huge exits on the 62gr LF and was told that the slower they go the more they penetrate. They were designed around the 243 Win.

MY state is drifting quickly to going LF and I don't want to be standing there with my mouth hanging open when it happens.

Last edited:
Just loaded some of these up in a model 7 223. I used 8208 and 4198. Will see how they shoot and then hopefully try them on some texas coyotes in a few weeks.

Originally Posted By: zhelton

5 shot 100 yards. Remington model 7 predator
Barnes 36
H4198 22.5

I am curious the speed of those.. Do you have a chrono by chance to get velocity for the xbr8208 and the 4198.. Thank you.. Dan

A few years I tried the 36 gr Varmint Grenade in 223 at 3700 fps. Extremely accurate but on prairie dogs not explosive like lead bullet, more like 22LR. Barnes said the grape shot was out of a 22-250 at 4200fps. Went back to 50 gr VMAX for PDs and tossed Grenades.

Back