Gut shot coyote.

OKRattler

About an hour and a half ago I shot a big coyote running quartered away from me at around 180 yards. He jumped up and took off and made it into some thick CRP grass and I never got another shot off. I caught a glimpse of him again at about 800 yards and he just laid down. I know where he's at but he ain't dead yet and I wasn't gonna walk out there and bump him to where I couldn't see him anymore. I ain't never waited a coyote out to see how long it'd take for it to die when they're wounded I always just hit them again. You reckon he'll still be there tomorrow? I'm guessing he laid down to die. But they ain't got much quit in them so I don't know. He might get up and try to walk it off and die somewhere else. I don't know that it was just a gut shot the liver and some other stuff might have got jacked up too. Either way I hit him...Or her,too far back. That 50gr. Superformance hit hard but apparently not as hard as I initially thought.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: weekenderBest to wait and see tomorrow. Get it up now and it will be gone for good, I figured it was best to wait. I hate leaving it out there like that but I know if I'd have started out there it would have jumped up and been gone. I didn't want to get its adrenaline going again. Once they catch a second wind they're up and gone pretty quick even when they're that hurt. I know he's bleedin like a stuck hog. I had it in the scope right before it disappeared and I'd say it took some major damage. Just not enough to make its body inoperable.

Originally Posted By: wolftrapperIf he lay down like that, he might be done in, but I would give it a day. If his head is up, he can probably get up. He can for sure get up. That son of a gun was in straight run mode after he got up again. He was runnin faster after he got shot than before I even shot. And I thought he was moving pretty quick then.

Like the other guys mentioned, I’d wait it out. They are tough as nails. Let him bleed out.

My buddy gut shot one a few years back. The blood trail it left in the snow was unreal. He made the mistake (partly my fault) of tracking it right then. All that did was push this yote into some thick stuff. My friend finally had to give up and never did find it.

By looking at the blood trail, you would have never guessed that yote would live as long as it did. Never saw anything like that before.

They are super tough. To be completely honest I've never found a dead coyote that was wounded the day before to the best of my memory. And I've seen...I wouldn't say a lot but more than I'd like to admit to, get wounded. I watched one get shotgunned with 00 buck 3 times in Texas a few years run off into the sunset. I also saw a gut shot coyote make it at least 3/4 of a mile and make it into some sunflowers never to be seen again. And this one this evening was almost an identical type scenario. So I know he's still good for at least another 400 yards or more. Hopefully he's running out of gas right now or already ran out. I'm taking a gun with me when I go back out to get him that I do know. But then again I've never seen where a coyote that I or someone else wounded went and hunkered down before though either so that should make it a little easier...maybe.

Originally Posted By: Bad DawgGood luck man! Post up some pics if you are able to retrieve him! Thank you sir. I'm gonna have to learn the new gizmo for posting pictures. If you look at some of my past threads where I posted pictures it's not pretty. I'm stupid when it comes to that but I'll give it a whirl. I hope I find him.

Liver or digestive perforations usually will go septic in 4-12 hours. Animals left undisturbed often remain at or close to where they first lay down. Of course bleeding out before than is better.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootLiver or digestive perforations usually will go septic in 4-12 hours. Animals left undisturbed often remain at or close to where they first lay down. Of course bleeding out before than is better. Up to 12 hours!?!?! Good God almighty. Hopefully the bleeding out part is what took place already. I figured he'd stay alive for a while but 12 hours is out of control.

If they are like deer and he is not dead when go look for him.. If you jump it, it would probably be stiffened up quite a bit so be able to get another shot or 2 at it.. Dan

I'll have a shooter of some kind. Probably a .223 because I don't won't him tore up any worse than he probably already is. Plus a pistol if I walk up there and he's not stiffened up enough. I hope he's stiff enough I can balance him on his nose is what I'm hoping for.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GCGood luck! Thanks GC. I got a coyote the other day with the shotgun. She came busting through the brush and took some heat real quick. Shotgun kills don't happen for me too often so I figured that'd make you proud.lol

I can't lie I'm really starting to like shootin coyotes with a shotgun.

Last edited:
Shotgunning predators, especially coyotes because of their being in nearly constant motion, is very addictive! Within fifty yards I don't think there is a more deadly tool than a properly set up shotgun. Congrats!

I unzipped one last year at a pretty long distance. It ran about twenty ft and started chewing on it's own guts like a big rope through the mouth. It died that way, so when the rancher picked it up he asked about it.

I agree GC. They're awesome coyote guns. The crazy thing is I don't know very many guys that ever take a shotgun calling or have ever killed a coyote with one. I guess because most places here are so open you can see for a long ways so they think they only need a rifle. Last year my brother and I missed out on opportunities to get 3 coyotes that were so close you couldn't tell which part of the coyote was in the scope.

Tripod, this one didn't have anything trailing behind it that I noticed but I'm almost afraid to see what kind of hole I blew in it. Usually hits anywhere behind the rib cage get pretty nasty. But if I find him that will be the main thing regardless of fur damage. I just hope it didn't take long for it to go night,night.

huntschool,I thought about taking a shotgun but being out there on fairly flat ground I don't know that I'll be able to get up on him that close but he's right along an old fence row so if I can get up there and he takes off I can use an old wood post as a rifle rest. We can't use #4 buck in Oklahoma but I know 3" BB would flatten him. It's just the getting to him before he runs if he's still able that I'm worried about. I'm gonna walk down that fence row with the wind in my face and I remember exactly where he was so I'm gonna be watching for his furry face to stick up above that grass. He better have his crash pot on if he goes that route.

Last edited:
Back