Sako L-461 ?'s Picture added Range day

AWS

Retired PM Staff
I have an opportunity to pick one of these up and am already lining up some closet queens to finance it.

This one is in 222 Rem. any pro's and CON's would be appreciate.

I've always had a soft spot for one after reading Wooters article on the 25 Copperhead.

Thanks

AWS

Last edited:
Great little action. It's a crying shame they never made it in left handed though. I was smitten with them also after reading that same article. I never owned one, opting instead for the lefty Charles Daly actions. I have one of those in the safe, still in the white, waiting to become either a 221, 222, or 25/222 Copperhead.

I'd be willing to bet its a little dandy of a rifle. I sold my Rem Varmint Special 222 to my gunsmith. He had it at the club today and I was sure wishing I had kept it.

Originally Posted By: K-22hornet.I think you will like it!

Mine's chambered in 222Mag.

OOOOOOOOOOOOO, even better.
tt1.gif

Having identical rifles in 222 Remington, 222 Remington Magnum, and 223 Remington is close to having a foot in heaven. Well, almost.
grin.gif

The 222 Remington and the 222 Remington Magnum both sport old era-correct steel Weaver 6x scopes with fine cross hairs and the 223 Remington has an old Redfield 3x9 scope of the same era on it with a heavy German 4 reticle.

All of the scopes are as clear as they were when new, and all three rifles shoot itty-bitty groups at 100 yards. They all make get light-weight hunting rifles. Some of my favorites.
thumbup.gif

The old L series actions are great. I've handled a few customs, had a cooper, I think it's the prettiest feeling action I've ever felt. Mine is stupid accurate with no changes to the action, accept mine has a lapour 3 position saftey,firing pin, and shroud.

The coolest thing about them to me is when the barrel is gone you can make a 17 or 20 ppc repeater and McMillan can inlet these into their A series stocks.

Well I bought it, had a buyer for one of my other guns so should break even. This one is full length stocked, comes with original Sako low rings and a Leupold 2-7 scope. I think this is so classy of a rifle the coyotes will just run up to me and yell "Take Me, Take Me"

Pics when it arrives.

Well done. I picked a L46 off my neighbor and it's real nice. A Nice L461 was spotted only a few weeks later so I had to have that one too. Both are in .222 and nice but the L461 has a more modern designed stock and I like it better. Have not had a chance to shoot them yet but they are fun to fondle!

The L461 is, in my opinion, the best action ever for .223 class cartridges.

I have a heavy barrel in .222 that shoots better than anything I’ve ever owned. I hang out with the hunting/varmint crowd and invariably the comments I get are we don’t see groups like that around here. They all want to know what I’m shooting.

Originally Posted By: Tom in WIThe L461 is, in my opinion, the best action ever for .223 class cartridges.

I have a heavy barrel in .222 that shoots better than anything I’ve ever owned. I hang out with the hunting/varmint crowd and invariably the comments I get are we don’t see groups like that around here. They all want to know what I’m shooting.

Only surpassed by the slightly newer Sako A1 Vixen action with the enclosed bolt shroud, IMO.

iXpQtC5l.jpg

Photographs of the three Sako L461 rifles that I mentioned earlier in this thread. The 222 Remington and the 223 Remington were professionally photographed. I photographed the 222 Remington Magnum myself.

222 Remington with an old steel 6X weaver scope of the same era from when the rifle was manufactured:

pvkeZTll.jpg

222 Remington Magnum with an old steel 6X Weaver scope of the same era from when the rifle was manufactured:

4aIXUVgl.jpg

223 Remington with an old 3X9 Redfield scope with a thick German 4 reticle of the same era from when the rifle was manufactured:

PRcGY1Pl.jpg

Mine has a classic stock, no monte carlo . It came with a B&L Balvar 8 variable with a fine crosshair , and the adjustments in the mounts.

Those Balvar 8's are a pretty decent scope today considering they are nearly 50 years old. I have a couple here at the house and have been playing with one in windage adjustable mounts and shimming for elevation. Tried to do one for the egg shoot this year with windage adjustable rings and broke a ring just befor the shoot. I've redone it and it is working very well now.

I looked at a long barreled L-46 Mannlicher in 222 with a Balvar 8, the scope actually had algae growing in it and there were so many things wrong with it I low balled it, someone else paid full asking price, I think the seller is going to get it back or at least renegotiate the price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eric_MayerGreat rifles. I'm still looking for one in .218 Bee!

Eric

There are still a few kicking around in the older L46 Sako action with the bolt shroud mounted safety, but I don't think Sako ever chambered the L461 action in 218 Bee.

Still, an L46 Sako chambered in 218 Bee would definitely be a keeper. This link gives a pretty thorough history of Sako actions with dates of production and what they were chambered in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAKO

Back